What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pootsie

Re: What do you want on your next-gen S10, PRS2?

Post by pootsie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am

DreamDiver wrote:pootsie's suggestion:
  • Coffee butler option...
    • Pour green, unroasted beans into optional coffee tank.
    • Tank roasts coffee to desired darkness.
    • Tank grinds coffee as necessary for either percolator, drip or espresso (noiselessly, of course...)
    • Optional dispensers for cream, frothed milk, non-dairy creamer, flavors, alcoholic additives automatically set to dispense preferred additives.
    • Coffee is poured into reusable porcelain-lined adult sippy cup, with aroma acting as alarm clock.
I might not even need airway pressure if I had that!

You are the Zzz's knees!

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 am

What about an option to auto-fill the humidifier with coffee?
jeff

knightlite

Post by knightlite » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 am

On the prs1 --When I use the humidifier in winter I constantly find the humidity setting off or higher. . Evidently my big fingers when turning on /off in the middle of the night hits the rotating set knob and changes the setting , I need the software option to disable that function of the knob . I want to set the humid setting on 1 and lockout the knob .
I need a filter keeper to stop the filters from coming out when I cough.
The 8 foot hose is a good idea with more swivels . Time and date display and settable with atomic clock sync would be nice.
Auto IQ sucks.
Wifi would be a nice option , I would pay out of pocket for an add on card .
The insurance/ government systems are going to pay less and less as time goes by. Highly capable machines need to be the minimum offered by company's , the bells and whistles added on will have to be borne by us cpaper"s . Unless you can medically justify it.
I can see that all electronics should be upgradable for a reasonable fee after warranty period with just a usb cable .
Trade ins should be encouraged/mandated -recycled by manufacturer's , get these older machines out to whom ever could be using them not stored in a dusty drawer. But should not impact one backup machine either. There should be a very good third world use for these that would not harm the market place.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

knightlite wrote:I need a filter keeper to stop the filters from coming out when I cough.
I cut a strip of sticky-backed Velcro (the hook side) to the size of the top of the foam filter. Then
I stuck it to the top side of the filter recess. (The bottom won't work because of the ridges.)

The Velcro both sticks to the foam a bit and compresses it a bit. The result is that I can blow through
the hose as forcefully as I can without dislodging the filter.

One note: when installing the filter insert the top edge first and slide it up to the Velcro. Then
push the bottom edge in. The top edge of the foam will not slide against the Velcro.
jeff

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 am

(for the gazillionth time)
If the manufacturers would make only ONE CPAP machine.......an APAP/Auto, they would be way ahead on manufacturing costs and be able to make more profit in the short and long run. How damn many models do you need to make to confuse people? APAPs can be set to CPAP mode, the user data would be available (to DMEs and clinicians) even if the user has no interest in monitoring their own therapy.

With the vast amounts of data storage now available (SD cards), don't limit the "detailed data" to only seven days/nights.......make it available for a much longer period of time. A year?
Personally, I'd also like to see an optional connection/connector for a USB drive.

Internal time-setting options and externally-replaceable clock batteries. (Cameras have had externally-replaceable batteries for decades and the digital cameras have had time setting abilities for as long as they've been around.) My (cheap) Timex Indiglo digital wristwatch has four buttons and I can set dates and times and it also has stopwatch capabilities.

I know you manufacturers read this forum.......PLEASE try using some of that gray matter between your ears when designing these machines!

Den

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:28 am

Wulfman... wrote:(for the gazillionth time)
If the manufacturers would make only ONE CPAP machine.......an APAP/Auto, they would be way ahead on manufacturing costs and be able to make more profit in the short and long run.
The insurers still would not want to pay for something not "used," even if it saves them money in the long run. Penny-wise!

You are the Zzz's knees!

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 am

Wulfman... wrote:With the vast amounts of data storage now available (SD cards), don't limit the "detailed data" to only seven days/nights.......make it available for a much longer period of time. A year?
Den,
I know you just use your tanks... the PRS1's... will give detailed data on the SD card for all days that the SD card was in the machine. You can't see it in Encore, you can see it in sleepyhead.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 am

cflame1 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:With the vast amounts of data storage now available (SD cards), don't limit the "detailed data" to only seven days/nights.......make it available for a much longer period of time. A year?
Den,
I know you just use your tanks... the PRS1's... will give detailed data on the SD card for all days that the SD card was in the machine. You can't see it in Encore, you can see it in sleepyhead.
How many DMEs and clinicians use Sleepyhead?
Then they need to make enhancements/modifications to the Encore program.
What about ResScan? Is it still limited to 7 days/nights?

Den

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:27 am

Wulfman... wrote:
cflame1 wrote:
Den,
How many DMEs and clinicians use Sleepyhead?
Then they need to make enhancements/modifications to the Encore program.
What about ResScan? Is it still limited to 7 days/nights?

Den

The DME's and Dr's don't use it... but the point that I was making is that it isn't a machine problem, it's a software problem.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:32 am

jdm2857 wrote:What about an option to auto-fill the humidifier with coffee?
Imagine the tank stains.

allen476

Post by allen476 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Built in touchscreen that can flip up so you don't have to be hunched over the machine to see it.

Wi-Fi for sure. Bluetooth would be nice with a smartphone app (Kind of like ZEO but without connecting to the internet) that shows all of the info not just 3 parameters.

Built in connectivity with an oxygen concentrator. That way you can turn both on with one touch of a button. Also a built in port with entrainment valve.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:54 pm

CFlame, Den,
The SD cards for both machines use a round-robin database. (I suspect you both already know that.) High Rate data: 7 days. Medium-rate: 30 days. Daily stats: 365 days.

ResScan will allow you do download without deleting or overwriting existing full scans by discarding any overwrites from days with less or no data. Encore Viewer will only allow you to view what's on the card. Encore Pro allows you to save all the data, but apparently it's not very easy to come by anymore. I bought a copy from Australia before it was illegalized to sell there too. Respironics has a different patient methodology than ResMed. Let me put words into their mouths, just for the sake of humor:

Phillips/Respironics: "Patients are morons. They have no clue. We like proprietary methods. We don't want to lose control of our specialized, low-volume, high-priced audience. We are afraid of legal liabilities of engaging with cranky sick people to develop our designs, both in hardware and software." P/R architects/designers: "Our policy wonks are liability-shy. We really need to engage the user. Without making the policy wonks any wiser, we'll make use of a simple data log method, put it on an SD card and hopefully one or more of the nerdy cpappers will show the policy wonks their users are not totally clueless by building software that's more sophisticated than ours for free."

ResMed: "Patients don't feel in control. Some of them are pretty smart and have a lot of down-time. They have nothing better to do than to think about how to get better control. If we figure out a way to give these patients control of their own therapy, they'll give us better feedback on our design, both on the hardware and software side of things. Patients are a relatively untapped resource that could be better engaged."

Sleepyhead is pretty good, but it does have a few flaws. It does not document days that only have statistics. My SD card has a whole year of daily statistics that Sleepyhead cannot see because my medium and high-rate data are the only thing SH reads. It would be nice of SH could tap into the low-resolution daily statistics.

In 2009, when I had a full year's worth of Full- and Medium-rate data on my ResScan software, it took up about 4GB of hard drive space. Imagine doing that for every patient in a doctor's office. It becomes a nightmare. Who wants to keep an archive of data nobody is going to care about in five years?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:58 pm

How about a remote control? --but still make it fully functional in case the dog hides it.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:How about a remote control? --but still make it fully functional in case the dog hides it.
RF remote.
Power On/Off
Humidity Up/Down/off
Heated hose up/down/off
Preset ramp button (press three times in quick succession, but not on button hold, so when the remote gets stuck in the sheets, it doesn't put the user on continuous cycled ramp.

It would be neat to make it compatible with 4-in-1 remotes commonly available, but I don't want to have to point determinedly in any direction using infrared - that requires more concentration. Radio frequency might be better for ease of use since it doesn't require line-of-site with the machine.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:13 pm

allen476 wrote:Built in touchscreen that can flip up so you don't have to be hunched over the machine to see it.

Wi-Fi for sure. Bluetooth would be nice with a smartphone app (Kind of like ZEO but without connecting to the internet) that shows all of the info not just 3 parameters.

Built in connectivity with an oxygen concentrator. That way you can turn both on with one touch of a button. Also a built in port with entrainment valve.
Flip-up touch screen sounds good.
Do you mean the O2 concentrator should plug directly into the box instead of a canula on the mask or in the hose? That could be good too. It would reduce line clutter to the hands and face. Are there reasons why makers would not want that to be done?
What do you mean by "built-in port with entrainment valve"? I understand our masks usually have exhalation ports or entrainment valves for the preferred leak levels. What's different about what you're asking for in the next-gen S10 or PRS2, or a mask for the same?