Sleep Apnea is it the leading cause of failure to read Posts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ems

Re: Sleep Apnea is it the leading cause of failure to read Posts

Post by ems » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
ems wrote:I mean reaaaalllllly, this silly thread doesn't even have, "OT" in the subject line

Because it is not OT. Sleep deprivation does a number on ones logical faculties and on ones patience.

In any learning space/situation any question that gets asked usually has several people waiting for the answer, too shy or embarrassed to ask it. That is why people say "Newbie dumb question" they are already feeling scared and stomp on themselves before anyone else can.

Agree.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't think we can ever stop the same questions coming up. But maybe the owners of the board could section it off a bit like ebays boards. A section for newbies, a section for masks, machines, OT stuff etc?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:04 pm

mgaggie wrote:I don't think we can ever stop the same questions coming up. But maybe the owners of the board could section it off a bit like ebays boards. A section for newbies, a section for masks, machines, OT stuff etc?
Question 431, No changes to the forum format, it aint broken!!! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

ekubaskie

Post by ekubaskie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:22 pm

A noob in this forum is at a pretty stressful point in life. While perhaps the answers to THE questions have changed in the years since first asked, the answer only fills part of the need. Encouragement, assurance that they are not alone in their new cyborg existence, and sometimes even a little verbal slap upside to stop the "Why me?" whining and self-pity, are all important factors, too. Then too, the occasional slap upside to stop the "NOT me" noob on his Egyptian boat ride...

The experience level and the helpful attitude of many of this particular forum's regulars make a difference in quite a few people's lives each year. Thanks to all, crew!

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:06 pm

ekubaskie wrote:Then too, the occasional slap upside to stop the "NOT me" noob on his Egyptian boat ride...
I don't think you have to be a noob to take that trip on the Egyptian river. There have been some fairly experienced members who have posted from those exotic parts. Those wishing weight loss is the answer to all pressure problems, for example.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but I hope I help more than I ask dumb questions!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:53 pm

SleepyToo2 wrote:
ekubaskie wrote:Then too, the occasional slap upside to stop the "NOT me" noob on his Egyptian boat ride...
I don't think you have to be a noob to take that trip on the Egyptian river.
It is a very interesting river. I have been on it in different boats (non cpap) - it is interesting how it looks different each time so that you don't recognize you are on it until a crocodile tries to bite your ass or you boat is sinking.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Goofproof wrote:
mgaggie wrote:I don't think we can ever stop the same questions coming up. But maybe the owners of the board could section it off a bit like ebays boards. A section for newbies, a section for masks, machines, OT stuff etc?
Question 431, No changes to the forum format, it aint broken!!! Jim
Thats a matter of opinion. Yes the forum works, but it could be much better and easier to navigate.

ems

Post by ems » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 pm

I think it's time for popcorn.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 pm

ems wrote:I think it's time for popcorn.
I'll bring my popcorn maker, so we'll never run out

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 pm

mgaggie wrote:
ems wrote:I think it's time for popcorn.

I'll bring my popcorn maker, so we'll never run out

I could be wrong mgaggie, but usually on this forum the saying "I think it is time for popcorn", "Popcorn anyone?", "mmm popcorn", etc..., refers to a statement or direction a thread is going or a certain post within a thread and the possibility of that statement or direction causing lively back and forth responses because of it. Examples would be like just sitting back and watching a movie/motion picture unfold before you or like being entertained by watching a tennis match with all the back and forth shots.

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:
I could be wrong mgaggie, but usually on this forum the saying "I think it is time for popcorn", "Popcorn anyone?", "mmm popcorn", etc..., refers to a statement or direction a thread is going or a certain post within a thread and the possibility of that statement or direction causing lively back and forth responses because of it. Examples would be like just sitting back and watching a movie/motion picture unfold before you or like being entertained by watching a tennis match with all the back and forth shots.

Yep thats what I took it to mean 2 B. There is another forum I visit and when it looks like there maybe a 'heated discussion' someone always metaphorically passes the popcorn out .

I am not worried if someone wants to take me to task about my comments in this thread. I said my piece and it is totally up to the site owners to do what they want as they are the people forking out the dosh for this wonderful site.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 am

mgaggie wrote: Yep thats what I took it to mean 2 B. There is another forum I visit and when it looks like there maybe a 'heated discussion' someone always metaphorically passes the popcorn out .
I am not worried if someone wants to take me to task about my comments in this thread. I said my piece and it is totally up to the site owners to do what they want as they are the people forking out the dosh for this wonderful site.

I thought you might be thinking that but I was not sure. I like your presence here, your posts, sense of humor, and did not want to see you blind sided because of not knowing the term and its possible usage here. Turns out you are well versed in forum speak and are only a newbie to Pap treatment. As my mom used to say "You should have just kept your nose out it" ('it' can be replaced by just about anything in my case)... sorry, I should have listened to mom

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:58 pm

ddk wrote: It's pretty bloody ridiculous if you ask me. In fact, my sleep doctor who I have to check in with every few months actually told me off for buying a nasal pillow mask. He said that at my pressure (20cm) I need a FFM. I said, "Thanks for the info, you could've told that six months ago BEFORE I SPENT THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS ON THE BLOODY MASK!"
I wanted to start off with nasal pillows and my doc said, "You won't like that kind!" ??? Really? All my friends like them (comparatively speaking, of course). But he kind of bullied me into trying regular nasal first. I lasted a week with that, it made sores on my giant nose. Now I have the Swift FX pillows (another $80) and will try that tonight... I do have a question about them, but this thread makes me think I should spend two hours reading the forum before asking it.
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:28 pm

surf_rower wrote:
ddk wrote: It's pretty bloody ridiculous if you ask me. In fact, my sleep doctor who I have to check in with every few months actually told me off for buying a nasal pillow mask. He said that at my pressure (20cm) I need a FFM. I said, "Thanks for the info, you could've told that six months ago BEFORE I SPENT THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS ON THE BLOODY MASK!"
I wanted to start off with nasal pillows and my doc said, "You won't like that kind!" ??? Really? All my friends like them (comparatively speaking, of course). But he kind of bullied me into trying regular nasal first. I lasted a week with that, it made sores on my giant nose. Now I have the Swift FX pillows (another $80) and will try that tonight... I do have a question about them, but this thread makes me think I should spend two hours reading the forum before asking it.
You can ask any questions you want.

My2wins

Post by My2wins » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:06 pm

My doc tried to talk me out of nasal pillows too recently, which was odd since I had already tried half a dozen of the most commonly used masks.

I saw a friend's pillow mask and thought it looked worth trying. Less surface area to leak seemed like a no brainier. And less areas of the touching my face meant I could stop worrying about weird face marks in the morn.

When I asked my doctor to write my new orders for pillow mask, he said I wouldn't like it. I kind of had to insist pretty firmly before he amended my written RX.

The interesting thing is that now that I have it, the nasal pillow is the only mask I've ever been able to use without any leaks. It's not perfect but its the best one I've found.

And best of all they don't impede my routine of using night cream. With the full face or even nasal mask, the seal was ruined by my lotion.

I suspect that nasal pillows are rejected most when its the first thing people try. But after going round and round and no other options working well, then pillows will be accepted.

So take the doctor recommendation as one data point, but don't forego you're own intuition if pillows seem best for you. If I would have listened to my own opinion, I would have resolved things 2 years ago and be much further along than I am.

ALSO -- be sure not to put nasal pillows on upside down. I spent the first 2 weeks wearing them wrong because I failed to crack open the booklet. Believe it or not, they worked just as well when upside down but are much more comfy when used correctly...d'oh... LOL ;}