hyperlexis wrote:archangle wrote:If you can drink it, it won't harm you to breathe the vapors from tap water.
Dump the water every morning to help keep minerals from building up.
At worst, you'll have to clean and maybe replace the water tank more often.
Drinking and inhaling are two different things. One body system can kill certain organisms, and one cannot.
http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/rare-amo ... le/219925/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionellosis
Tap water is far from sterile. For goodness sakes, just pay the 80 cents and buy the distilled water.
You can reuse coffee grounds the next day too but would you really want to?
As BlackSpinner has already pointed out, I think there is a lot of fear factor in your reasoning hyperlexis. The link you use to back up your argument has this sentence in the text - “Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose.” Water for irrigating sinuses is quite a bit different to the water vapor from the humidifier. We breathe steam from the water we wash and shower in and many other sources.
The wikipedia link has this sentence in its text - "It (Legionellosis) is not transmitted from person to person. Instead, it is transmitted by inhalation of aerosolized water and/or soil contaminated with the bacteria." Again aerosolized water is very different to water vapour.
I really think the main reason manufacturers state distilled water is to be on the safe side and protect themselves from any comebacks. Distilled water is as pure as you can get. If my main source of water was heavy in mineral content or out of a drain or polluted supply then yes I would filter it. I like simplicity. CPAP is complicated and costly enough without adding more hassles to it all.
I wish we could buy distilled water for 80c here in NZ - if you can find it. The only bottled water I have seen in shops is filtered and costs $2 and over.
Now you are really talking when you start talking about coffee - you definitely need to get that right - The right beans, fresh roasted beans, freshly ground, freshly brewed, not over brewed, etc, etc, etc, Maybe we could find a way use it in our humidifiers and wake up fully caffeinated