sensitivity to adhesives -- sleep study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BetsyV

sensitivity to adhesives -- sleep study

Post by BetsyV » Thu May 02, 2013 9:32 pm

I need to have another sleep study, and I'm wondering if anyone here has an adhesive sensitivity or allergy too. My last study, although I told the technician about my sensitivity to adhesives and she used special tape and a liquid on my skin that was supposed to protect it, I came up in hives. (Yes, I took antihistamines.) This doesn't help my sleep any and leaves long-lasting marks on my skin. Not to mention how horrified the sleep lab was when I sent them photos of my skin the next day.

Does anyone else have this problem? Thoughts on how to solve it?

Wulfman...

Re: sensitivity to adhesives -- sleep study

Post by Wulfman... » Thu May 02, 2013 9:48 pm

BetsyV wrote:I need to have another sleep study, and I'm wondering if anyone here has an adhesive sensitivity or allergy too. My last study, although I told the technician about my sensitivity to adhesives and she used special tape and a liquid on my skin that was supposed to protect it, I came up in hives. (Yes, I took antihistamines.) This doesn't help my sleep any and leaves long-lasting marks on my skin. Not to mention how horrified the sleep lab was when I sent them photos of my skin the next day.

Does anyone else have this problem? Thoughts on how to solve it?
Why do you "need" to have another sleep study?

Are you currently using CPAP therapy?
Is your machine "fully data-capable"?

Most of us with fully data-capable machines have only "needed" to have one sleep study and have taken control of our therapy.

Den

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Thu May 02, 2013 10:32 pm

Sadly, I found out I was allergic to the adhesive used in my initial sleep study (titration for me was a second visit). I told them that I'm allergic to the adhesive in those self-wraps they put around the bandage when you donate blood (almost turns into an armband). Well, she said this was some special hypoallergenic adhesive. When they took it off my in the morning, it had left a deep red rash that caused the skin to raise. It stuck around for three weeks!

That said, I would do it ALL OVER AGAIN -- that's how much I love my pappy!

I would suggest that you just be adamant and maybe a bit proactive and bring some of yor own stuff you know will not adversely affect you. For me, band aids don't bother me, so I'll have them "band aid" ever sensor node if I need another one at some point.
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Wulfman wrote:
Most of us with fully data-capable machines have only "needed" to have one sleep study and have taken control of our therapy.

Den

Well, not exactly Wulf.

If you were given a "split night" study - 1/2 diagnosis and 1/2 titration on CPAP and no significant centrals showed up, that would be true.

But many forum members had two sleep studies - one full night for diagnosis and a return for one full night of titration on CPAP.

And those like me, who had centrals show up during the titration night on CPAP, required a third sleep study in order to qualify for an ASV machine.

Regards, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

NateS wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Den

Well, not exactly Wulf.

If you were given a "split night" study - 1/2 diagnosis and 1/2 titration on CPAP and no significant centrals showed up, that would be true.

But many forum members had two sleep studies - one full night for diagnosis and a return for one full night of titration on CPAP.

And those like me, who had centrals show up during the titration night on CPAP, required a third sleep study in order to qualify for an ASV machine.

Regards, Nate
And, that's why I asked "Why".

It wasn't clear as to how long ago the previous sleep study was or other circumstances regarding it.

Den

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Fri May 03, 2013 2:11 am

Sorry I can't be much help. I had a reaction to the sandpaper stuff they used on my skin before attaching the electrodes. Thankfully I seem to be able to manage the adhesive for the duration of the study.

Is there any sort of adhesive tape that you can tolerate? If so, take some with you to the study and insist they use it

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sat May 04, 2013 1:46 am

Allergic to the adhesives also.. only i cannot use bandaid brand at all.. I have to use curad bandaids or 3m brand tapes. Even those tear me up, my skin does ok for the first day, its usually after that it starts having fits.

Theres a barrier stuff that comes in individual packets that helps but it doesn't totally solve the issue, especially for what they cost.. I cant find my box atm or id post the name. I Had to get them when I had a wound pump a few years ago cause the adhesives sheets the pump sponges required tore me up almost worse then the original surgery wound. 3-4 days of pump healing then q week or more resting time with *normal bandages*

For me, best thing to do before going in for any kind of study etc where adhesives will be used, is wash with your fav soap and lotion the skin up a couple times before hand, powder can help too. Just make sure not to use enough that they wont stick at all.
And NEVER let em just rip em off.
Anytime i end up hospitalized it takes my skin months to recover from the adhesives.

3 M makes a porus tape (has visable holes and is made to tear every 2 -21/2 inches) That I can use for up to almost 3 days. I have not seen it in stores though at all, i have leftover from my wound pump days. Gotta love how *Extra* rolls were brought and left when my nurse found out it was the only thing semi usable. But at day 3 even changing it daily for fresh, the skin starts to itch and turn red and if not removed at that point blister etc..

BetsyV

Post by BetsyV » Sat May 04, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks! Yes, I find most types of 3M adhesive less allergenic, especially the paper tape, but in the past few months I've begun reacting to it too. Band-Aid is out and I can't get Curad in my area, but I'll pick some up if I ever see it. Elastoplast brand seems to be working for me right now.

The adhesive sheets are the worst. (If I could figure out how to attach an image, I'd post a photo of my neck taken after the last study.) I too have learned not to rip tape off, since the time the hives were so bad the tape took the entire patch of skin along with it. Which led to larger bandages, and more adhesive, and I'm sure you know how that all played out.

Maybe instead of regular lotion on my skin, I'll ask them to mark where the tape goes as soon as I arrive and put down a layer of antihistamine cream in those areas. It's the only thing I can think of, so we'll see how it goes.

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 pm

i cant help but wonder if cortizone(SP?) cream would help any, after all its what is recommended for just about any rash/irritation anyhow. I am trying to get stuff started for bariatric surgery. And would love to not be scarred up by the leads/tapes.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Sun May 05, 2013 5:04 am

Betsy see if you can order the curad on line, its worth the postage cost IMO

BetsyV

Post by BetsyV » Mon May 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Shellie_p wrote:i cant help but wonder if cortizone(SP?) cream would help any, after all its what is recommended for just about any rash/irritation anyhow. I am trying to get stuff started for bariatric surgery. And would love to not be scarred up by the leads/tapes.
I'm not allowed cortisone, unfortunately, as it exacerbates another condition I have. But if you can tolerate it, it's worth a try. Maybe you could do test patches with cortisone and antihistamine and see if one of them works better.

I may try the Curad brand as well. I do travel a bit, as does my husband, so we can start checking out drugstores in new locales. It's always nice to have options.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Cr1kk1t

Post by Cr1kk1t » Mon May 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Have you tried Mefix tape or mepore film?
This is what mefix is...
http://www.molnlycke.com/patient/en/Pro ... cts/Mefix/

My daughter had very sensitive skin and we used several of these different products made by molnlycke to keep all of her attachments in place (central line, catheters, etc). The adhesive is water based. It sticks really well but only takes water to remove.