xPAP, Asthma and Humidification

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
birdiebaby

xPAP, Asthma and Humidification

Post by birdiebaby » Sat May 27, 2006 9:15 am

I saw from a thread earlier this year that some people have had issues with their asthma since strarting xPAP treatment. I have a question to take that discussion a little further.

I sucessfully made it through my first full night (9 hours, press 9.8, AHI 1.9, AI 0, HI 1.9). I must say that I feel a bit sharper this morning, but my asthma is quite bad. I am going to have to use my nebulizer shortly.

Here's my question... my DME said the Dr. did not order a humidifier. (Dr. says they always order a humidifier). My nose and throat are very dry this morning, and I'm going to have to ask the dr. to order one. My thought is that the lack of humidification might have contributed to the volume of gunk in my lungs this morning?

Has anyone had issues with their asthma due to lack of humidification?

Ellen

asthma

Post by Ellen » Sat May 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Birdie Baby - I don't have asthma but have Reactive Airway Disease, which is basically asthma minus the bronchial spasms. You MUST get a humidifier or your lungs will be as dry as your nose and throat. I have been able to stay away from Albuterol since starting CPAP 4/4/06 - humidified air keeps my lung tissue moist enough to be able to keep the mucous coughed up (still have to drink lots of water during day).........

Ellen

Fromaginator

Post by Fromaginator » Sat May 27, 2006 10:19 pm

As someone who also has asthma, I can tell you that if you spent a full night w/out humidification, it's likely to be the cause.

For me, dry nasal passages leads to more "gunk" later on in the day in reaction to it, which means a day of wheezing.

Get your doc to straighten things out with the DME and get the humidifier going as soon as you can!

birdiebaby

Post by birdiebaby » Sun May 28, 2006 9:27 am

Thanks for the replies!

I scrubbed down the area around my machine last night to be sure that there was no dust there. I put saline gel in my nose, and I spent 9.5 hours asleep!

My nose and throat are very sore this morning, and my lungs are not good, but not as bad as yesterday.

I will definitely make my first call to the doctor's office Tuesday morning.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sun May 28, 2006 10:26 am

Always get your precription (hardcopy) from you doctor. Then there are no surprises whether or not the doctor ordered a humidifier. The DME can't argue if you have the prescription in hand. Don't give them your original, have a copy to hand them if they want it.

Even if you are happy with your DME and the machine that they gave you get the prescription. It is still good for an extra machine or whatever you might want later.

I relate this to an eyeglass prescription. I let the glasses people make a copy but I retain the original. What if I want a second pair and want to purchase elsewhere. I don't want to have to go to my doctor's office and request a new one. Shouldn't have to.