After 18 months, waking up during the night again

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BrandonB

After 18 months, waking up during the night again

Post by BrandonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 am

Hello all. It's been a while since I've been on the forum. Sorry. I will make it a renewed effort to provide community support to others on the forum.

Everything was going great until about this past December. Since then, I've been making up 2-3 times a night (that I remember). I hasn't affected me too bad and my significant other hasn't said I am snoring again or anything. That said, this can only be cumulative. For instance, last night I went to sleep at about 1:30 am and I remember waking once during the night and at 6:30 am I woke up again and couldn't go back to sleep. Decided that it was time to ask for help in reviewing my data. I'm confused as my AHI is still under 1! Can I get some help in interpreting this please so I can go back to the beauty of 6-8 hours of sleep? As you can see, back in late January I tried increasing my pressure slightly to see if it makes a difference. Didn't notice anything, but then I barely changed the pressure as well. I am not really familiar with self-titration.

Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

Pugsy

Re: After 18 months, waking up during the night again

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 am

Changes in lifestyle or meds maybe a factor????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks Pugsy!

Was on zero meds and currently on zero meds except for starting to take melatonin 3 mg (1-2x) some nights to try and help stay asleep. Lifestyle-wise, the only thing I can think of is that at the beginning of the year I intensified my workout slightly. Down 2" and 3 lbs since then. But before and after that change, I was doing the same workouts just as often, just shorter duration (cardio) or less weight (strength training).

Maybe it's time to find a new sleep doc (old sleep doc moved away) and have a new consult. Can't seem to figure out what keeps waking me up if I'm not having apnea events. Is it possible that I'm having unrecorded events?

On a side note, 18 months and my nose bridge is still sore for the first 4-5 hours of the day and always has a red line across it. My EasyLife is set very loose it's velcroed right were the slack ends, no pulling.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

BrandonB wrote: Is it possible that I'm having unrecorded events?
It's possible to have some sort of event that doesn't meet criteria for getting an official flag.
Remember the 10 second criteria. If the air flow during an obstructive apnea or hyponeas doesn't last 10 seconds and only lasts 9 seconds...well it doesn't get flagged. Same thing withe the % of reduction.

Let's call them low level obstructions or flow reductions since we don't know what they might be...maybe they are causing some sort of arousal that ends up waking you up.

Could you show your Flow Limitation graph? I can't see it on this view. Turn off AHI graph (in Preferences/Graphs) and mask pressure graph. They aren't needed anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 pm

The Flow Limitation graph is not exactly scaled really well. Is there an easy way to make this more visible, perhaps by reducing it's vertical range instead of going all the way to 1.0?

And thank you about the 10 second rule. I was unaware of that. Guess that's certainly possible. From my post when I started using my CPAP
viewtopic/t88902/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70 ... 77#p648277
Study: 27.4 AHI, 79% Oxygen Level, 8 total Obstructive, 0 total Mixed, 0 total Central, 1.4 Apnea Index, 131 total Hypopnea, 148 total arousals, 25 awakenings
I definitely had many arousals during my sleep study.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Your flow limitation graph line isn't very exciting. I doubt we can blame the wake ups on it.