Finally!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jencat824

Re: Finally!!

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:23 am

slickwil wrote:
Stormynights wrote:I do not know. I guess I will find out Friday
Is your DME at the sleep center? If so, the sleep center is probably the DME as well. DME stands for Durable Medical Equipmnet & in the context we use it here means the Provider of said equipment. Its really important to ask questions. You may want to call ahead & ask which machine you are getting. Don't be afraid to let them know you have been researching this & want a fully data capable machine & IMO you want a ResMed S9 Autoset or a PR S1 560 (in the link this is listed at a 550, but the new model is a 560). You DO NOT WANT anything with the word Escape in it - that has no data. Also, and this is just from my experience you don't want an F&P ICON - it looks great but getting data is hard & the data you do get is limited.

If you read the links you can see which machines provide what data & other comfort capabilities. A humidifier is usually a must and while you are in the position to get your equipment I would ask for a heated hose too.

Masks should be shown to you for you to select, it they choose for you, ask to see a better selection. VERY IMPORTANT to determine the DME's policy on mask return. Most of the time the first mask won't be the one that works for you - if not most DME's have policies that allow for return within the first 30 days to try another mask. Some DME's don't have a mask change limit, some limit you to 1 change. This is a vital mask question you should ask.

Once you have your machine & mask, be sure to list them in your User Control Panel - this will allow us to help you best in your hosehead journey.

Good luck & hope I've been helpful.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

sleep passionate

Post by sleep passionate » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 am

congrats, you may want to take someone with you so you have the extra eyes and ears. It's a lot to take in in one sitting. You should receive a manual with the equipment that will provide all the necessary information needed to operate the equipment. If it's not explained during your set up make sure you ask how to clean, what to clean, when to clean and what to clean with. Ask to demonstrate back to the tech how to attach the mask to the tubing and the tubing to the machine, how to open the water chamber. Fit and adjust your mask there. Don't expect overnight results or resolve of your symptoms the first night, everyone is not that lucky. It will take some time but stick with it. Don't force yourself to use it all night every night. Do as many hours as you can do the first 30 days without skipping a night and it will come.

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I call my sleep center and they told me that they have issued me a Respironics autosep. They also said they would respect my decision if I wanted to chamge it.

porete

Post by porete » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:20 pm

slickwil wrote:I call my sleep center and they told me that they have issued me a Respironics autosep. They also said they would respect my decision if I wanted to chamge it.
Did they tell what model of Respironics besides autoset? Respironics does not make a model with autoset in the name, however, they do make a model called an AutoIQ which you DO NOT want because it only give you 30 days of APAP, and then becomes a plain cpap machine with no APAP capability.

billgamble

Post by billgamble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Good luck Slickwil!! I, like many others on this board have had the same experience. Most of us have what CPAP machine we use listed in our replies. I went into my DME and sure enough there she was sitting with a Respironics machine. She said here is your new machine. I had done my research before hand and knew that I wanted the Resmed S9 Autoset. I told her that I didn't want that machine and that I wanted the Resmed. She said to me, "well I wish I would have known that before you came in, now I have to change all of the paperwork". Well I guess you do. I have the feeling that there is a bigger markup on the Respironics and that's why they push them. Moral of the story: It's your life, your money, and your good health, don't let them push you around. Take a stand and stick to it!

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

billgamble wrote:Good luck Slickwil!! I, like many others on this board have had the same experience. Most of us have what CPAP machine we use listed in our replies. I went into my DME and sure enough there she was sitting with a Respironics machine. She said here is your new machine. I had done my research before hand and knew that I wanted the Resmed S9 Autoset. I told her that I didn't want that machine and that I wanted the Resmed. She said to me, "well I wish I would have known that before you came in, now I have to change all of the paperwork". Well I guess you do. I have the feeling that there is a bigger markup on the Respironics and that's why they push them. Moral of the story: It's your life, your money, and your good health, don't let them push you around. Take a stand and stick to it!
DMEs usually sell more of 1 brand than the other.
Often times, they sell the brand that most of their referring Sleep Doctors prefer.

So, since they buy more of 1 brand, they get them at a cheaper cost.

When they have to order the other brand, they pay more only because they don't get as good a price because they don't buy many of them.

And, generally, ResMeds cost more than the Respironics.

If one does want a specific brand & model of machine, it is best to inform the DME of that in advance - if for no reason other than they may have to special order it for you.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

In my case, by Dr. ordered the PR S1 560 for my hubby. I wanted the ResMed S9 Autoset, but the Dr. wanted the PR, so since it was a comparable machine and I had info from reading this Forum I said OK. My hubby's Dr. is also my Dr. & when I went back & he found out my DME had sent me an F&P ICON as a replacement for my old M Series he went nuts & insisted they replace it with the PR S1 560. Well, they did & I love the PR machine, Icon was nothing but trouble & I got lucky, my Dr. is the one that helped me get the better machine & get out of the mess I was in.

I would rather have had the ResMed S9 Autoset for both of us, but since my Dr. wants his patients on the PR machines, I compromised, feeling like it was still a great machine. As long as the machine is a fully data capable machine I think some Drs. & some DME's prefer one over the other. Drs. want a model that they only have to use one software set up to read their patients stats. DME's want the machine they make the most money on (or a smaller loss ratio from some ins). I think if you get the best data capable machine from either ResMed or Phillips Respironics, you are getting quality. Its more important to get the best data capable & not come home with a BRICK!

slickwil - FYI - a brick is a machine with NO data capability & you want to avoid one of these no matter what you have to do. With no data, you or your Dr. cannot effectively manage your therapy.

Also, the PR machine are identified usually by number, such as the PR S1 560 - the 550 & 560 models are auto pap therapy & are most of what I've seen on the market recently (by those posted here & by grilling my Dr. & hubby's DME). Make sure the number you get matches with one of the numbers listed in the 'mask arrayed' blog - that is the best reference & the one I used when making the final decision on our machines. The Auto IQ is a straight CPAP that only gives your 30 days of auto therapy. Don't know why they produced such a machine but make sure you don't get one.

Let us know what you get.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 am

You guys are giving me some really good information! I still dont know why my DME could not tell me the model #, just that is was a Respironic autoset with a data card. I am going to tell them I want full data capability for sure. I am confident that I will take to it pretty good, at least I did when I had my sleep study.

Not Fade

Post by Not Fade » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:41 am

Respironic autoset
There is no such thing. ResMed and Philips are two competing companies that manufacture and market CPAP machines and other health devices.

AutoSet is a trademark of ResMed for certain of their machines.

Respironics is a trademark of Philips for their machines.

Do not take delivery of a machine until you are 100% certain you are getting a fully data-capable machine. Even if you have to walk out of the office and leave the machine behind until you can get advice from the forum

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:46 am

slickwil wrote:I still dont know why my DME could not tell me the model #, just that is was a Respironic autoset with a data card.
Respironics doesn't have a model name "autoset" but whomever you talked to may be used to using the AutoSet term for APAP machines in general.

Respironics APAP machines are called Phillips Respironics Remstar System One Auto CPAP machines.
We shorten it here to PR S1 APAP machines.
The newest model is the 560...slightly older is 550. Model numbers are easily seen on the bottom of the blower unit.
Both are full efficacy data machines...so if that is what they plan to offer...you are home free. Great machine.

The 560 model is called the 60 series model...main difference is that there is an option available for the heated hose. This was introduced as competition to the ResMed S9 CLimateline heated hose option.

The 550 is still the APAP machine but doesn't have the heated hose option so it is termed a 50 series machine.
Not many of those being dispensed now since the main focus has been on the 560 for nearly a year now.

APAP machines are actually cpap machines with 2 different modes of operation...fixed pressure mode (cpap mode) and auto adjusting pressure mode (APAP mode)...so they are like having 2 different machines in one little machine. This is one of the reasons we push APAPs. Not everyone needs or does well with APAP but if they don't they can always switch over to cpap mode or set the APAP to mimic cpap mode but if someone has a CPAP mode machine only and they have a need for variable auto adjusting pressures for some reason then they are pretty much SOL.
Difference in price is minimal...so we always suggest get the APAP if at all possible.

In the Respironics line the APAP models all are full efficacy data machines.
In the ResMed line there is one APAP model called the Escape Auto that is undesirable because the data it gathers is severely limited. It doesn't even gather leak data and leaks effect therapy so it's real important to be able to watch the leaks.

With regards to the Respironics 560 model with the heated hose option. DMEs seem to not always dispense the heated hose option straight away. It's a $75 upgrade if you pay out of pocket to some place like cpap.com.
Not having it may not be a big deal but if you are given an option and insurance will pay...get it. Better to have it and not need it than not have it. If unsure if the hose is heated or not...the heated hose has a black end on a white hose...so if you see a black end..then you have the heated hose...if you see 2 white ends...no heated hose.

Trust me...get it if you can and your insurance will pay. It allows for more customization of the humidity delivered and the temperature delivered.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:35 am

Which numbers are the Auto-IQ? (temporary auto)
May want to avoid that as well, just because they fudged on the auto part.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:47 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Which numbers are the Auto-IQ? (temporary auto)
May want to avoid that as well, just because they fudged on the auto part.
The Auto IQ model number was 450...so the PR S1 Pro CPAP but on the blower it also said "Auto IQ"
I don't think that they make the Auto IQ now and haven't for some time. I see it as discontinued on a lot of websites or shown with "parts and supplies only" notation.

Instead they offer the auto trial on the 460 model. Now I have always thought we could renew the 30 days APAP trial with a reset to zero but someone the other day told me that they had paperwork with their 460 that specifically mentioned the reset to zero to renew the 30 days but it mentioned that this little trick was limited to 5 times..so maybe Respironics decided to slam that door shut...typical.

So unless I learn something differently I can't recommend the 460 and a sneaky way to get a full time APAP.

Also I have been working with someone who has the Auto IQ and the reset to zero trick didn't give back the 30 days APAP like it used to. So it seems like we have been blocked.
Sad thing about this guy...the DME gave him a used machine(and no big surprise it was never mentioned) and he never had a chance to even use the APAP days. He didn't know about the prior usage until we got the software data and found data dating over a year ago on the machine as well as the SD card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.