redesigned my leaking mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chef

redesigned my leaking mask

Post by Chef » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I have been using a ResMed Ultra Mirage full face mask for many years. The last few years I noticed I was constantly waking up and fighting the mask leaks around the bridge of my nose. For a long time I did the only option which was to pull those top straps so hard that it had not choice but to seal. Even that didn't work because of the winged pads on my forehead. The amount of movement they allow on that forehead piece does not allow the mask to tilt enough to seal on my nose. I wonder if they ever "field" test their products or just design them for a model face and start production. Whoever designs these masks should have to sleep with them for a month and then go back and redesign them.

I was so thrilled when I saw the mask without the forehead piece. I ordered it immediately. I ordered the same size since it was the same manufacturer, ResMed. That was the first and best mistake I ever made. It was so small I would wake up with the bottom of the mask in my mouth. The little plastic piece they use to hold the straps would be right over my eyes so I could not open my eyes with the mask on. This had me highly irritated. I had thankfully purchased the insrance from Cpap.com so I knew it was going to be ok.

I sat down one day and redesigned my full face mask. I had a sort of graveyard of masks in various stages of broken. I kept them because I never knew which part was gonna break in the middle of the night. I took my old Mirage full face and I carefully cut off the plastic that attached the forehead piece to the main mask. I basically made a mask without the forehead wings but no way to connect the strap to the top of the mask. I then took an extra strap and cut it into 2 long pieces. I kept the lower strap intact and removed the clips from the upper one. I then broke out the superglue and began to work. I cut off a piece of the hook of the velcro and glued it right below the upper vent. I then cut off the other one and glued it back on the opposite side of the strap. So basically I made a way to connect the upper strap directly to the mask with he upper strap.

I spent about 10 minutes the first night with the newly built mask figuring out the best way to work it. I initially had the same issues with the straps going across my eyes. What I ended up doing was I put the upper strap on first and I pulled it down across my face and the strap actually goes under my earlobes when it is done. So it really has the top strap pulling down instead of horizontally. I then bring the lower strap across in it's normal position with the plastic clips. It had been a long time since I had slept the night through without fighting my mask. I was so amazed at how well it worked. Not only have I made it a better mask in my opinion, I have eliminated a lot of the issues of things breaking.

If anyone has an extra mask laying around and have had the same issues as myself give it a try.

Julie

Re: redesigned my leaking mask

Post by Julie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi - can you possibly take a picture (frontal and maybe a diagonal one) of your new mask (close-up) so we can see what it looks like? I'm a bit challenged when it comes to imagining just what you did though your description seems straightforward enough... I also have a Mirage to take apart if I want to and a graveyard of UM parts... plus great Superglue. Thanks!

debbiep54

Post by debbiep54 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 pm

I have been thinking about how I could make my mask more user friendly too. Since I have only had the machine for a few weeks I figured I should wait a bit. But after your post it seems feasible to go for it. Thank you

RJQMAN

Post by RJQMAN » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 am

I have exactly the same problem you had and I also just keep tightening the darn straps. I too would appreciate a photo. Many thanks. You could send to my email at RJQMAN at aol dot com if you wish.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 am

Julie wrote:Hi - can you possibly take a picture (frontal and maybe a diagonal one) of your new mask (close-up) so we can see what it looks like? I'm a bit challenged when it comes to imagining just what you did though your description seems straightforward enough... I also have a Mirage to take apart if I want to and a graveyard of UM parts... plus great Superglue. Thanks!
As one who has greatly impaired visualization skills, I would love to see a picture also.

Thanks Chef and kudos you for your great work.

49er

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 am

We used to have a "lab rat" thread, and it was fascinating what people came up with - maybe this is the time to resurrect it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 am

viewtopic.php?t=15104

Here's Rested Gals links to various lab rat awards.

herefishy wrote:We used to have a "lab rat" thread, and it was fascinating what people came up with - maybe this is the time to resurrect it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm

You know it's said necessity is the mother of invention. I, too, have all sorts of mask parts lying around and try to keep one mask as a spare. My experimention on my Quattro FFM resulted in a broken mask.
I was trying to get rid of the hard plastic frame that ruined the bridge of my nose. ResMed solved that problem with the FX FFM. I also found that when headgear is too large or slipping around a kufi cap or skull
cap solved that problem. There is no substitute for proper mask fit, too many people find the only solution is to tighten it down which generally is counterproductive. You do what you have to do. It took me five years to find the right mask and perfect the fit and I had help from a great DME tech. I've always said the mask interface is the Achilles Heel of therapy.
If feasible you could make a YouTube video to help others.

I would like to see the lab rat thread started again. You never know when the right idea will pop up.

Chef

Post by Chef » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:20 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to y'all. I appreciate all the comments and I will get a few pictures up as soon as I can.