Getting really pissed at myself now!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bucksbeek

Getting really pissed at myself now!

Post by bucksbeek » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am

I do not understand. I continue to take my mask off during the night..sometimes I do not even know I am doing it. Last night, I wore it for the first two hours (because the machine told me so), woke up at 5:30 and there it is hanging on the headboard. Do not remember taking it off or why I took it off. This is what is frustrating me the most!! Why???? I thought that I really liked my mask (F&P Pilairo) because its so lightweight and easy to wear. I've mentioned before the only problem I had with it was feeling sweaty and hot where the mask lays on my face. I know I have taken it off a few times because of this, but I thought I was getting better! It's weird, sometimes I can wear it for 9 hours with no problems. But lately, I've been taking it off after only a few hours and of course I'm feeling the effects of that the next day. I know there are things I can do to try and wake myself up more when I'm doing it and I will try these things. I just want to understand the reason behind it. Could it be my body still not use to something on my face? Am I not getting enough air? Don't think that is the case because numbers are good. Do I need a different mask? Sorry for the vent, but it's really frustrating!!!!!

LSAT

Re: Getting really pissed at myself now!

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 am

Try taping it to your face or wrap a chinstrap around it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:13 am

Forgive yourself; your subconscious is still freaking out a little.
You might try repeating to yourself, "This is safe; this mask is keeping me safe. I need this to sleep healthy"
--or something to that effect. Keep your self-talk positive. No scolding yourself, just reassurance.
You have to reach your frightened self and teach it everything is OK.

SnorkelPuss

Post by SnorkelPuss » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 am

Just a thought: if you take sleep med like Ambien, you might do things and don't remember.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 am

Well, don't get pissed off at yourself! It's frustrating, but you got better before and you will again. Who knows what goes on in our heads when we're sleeping? You know the things to do to prevent you from taking the mask off in the night so take a deep breath, have a good laugh at your stubborn mask removing self, and start doing the things that you know work to deal with the issue. Like we say in AA keep coming back and one ay (night) at a time.
I used to do it and it's amazing how carefully we place our expensive mask on the nightstand rather than throwing it on the floor.

khauser

Post by khauser » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am

No use getting pissed off about it ... that'll build negative energy/thoughts that might inadvertently made it worse. Now these we've all told you that it'll be easy not to get pissed, right?

So along with the useless advice I may have a piece of useful advice. If you are able to, videotape (does anyone actually use tape any more?) yourself tonight. If you wake up in the morning with the mask off you'll be able to review the video and find where you're taking it off. Perhaps something is happening around that time that makes you not tolerate it. Maybe, in your sleep, you actually try to face-plant the pillow, and the mask makes that hard (OK, I went back to useless. I'll stop now).

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am

Don't be to hard on yourself - it is counter productive.
Keeping the mask on is kind off like toilet training a 2 year old, scolding may make you feel good but it only sets the whole thing back. Use positive talk and rewards (aka bribes)

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Alien hand syndrome?
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:29 pm

One other member mentioned taping the straps to your face. I second that opinion in that it'll make the mask harder to slip off with one swipe of your hand. Also some sleep meds can play tricks on your mind.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Your brain is just replaying the movie "Alien." Try not to think of facehugger.

Try committing to not taking the mask off at all in bed. Get up and stand on your feet before taking it off.

Do you have SleepyHead or ResScan? See if anything is happening before you take it off, like leaks or apneas.

Last edited by archangle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

khauser

Post by khauser » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Except the OP is awakening in the morning to find the mask draped over the bedpost ... doesn't sound like typical nighttime "swatting off the mask". I'm guessing they were somewhat awake, but due to sleep deprivation and such they don't REMEMBER doing it.

bucksbeek

Post by bucksbeek » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Yes, that's the thing. Last night I did not remember taking my mask off and I was actually pretty shocked to find that my S9 said I only used the machine for 2.8 hours. So, I obviously turned the machine off too. It's sort of weird. I know that I have taken my mask off plenty of times before because it felt hot or uncomfortable on my face and I was so tired that I just didn't even care at that point. However, I care the next morning when I can't get out of bed or function because I had a horrible night of apnea. I agree, I need to be more positive about this instead of beating myself up. I just thought maybe there was another reason, other than the "alien hand" . Only because it's been two months and I'm still struggling to keep the mask on. Maybe I just need more time.

Regarding the sleep meds, I am not currently taking anything. It has crossed my mind to try an OTC, that way I might be so out of it that I won't care about the mask on my face. Does that make sense? Not a habit I want to get into in order to deal with cpap therapy but it might come to that out of desperation.

acidragon

Post by acidragon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Im also new to the machine... about 3 weeks now... I barely remember in the morning ripping off my mask because I feel l like im suffocating. For me I think its because of congestion and difficulty to breathe and what air that can get through my nasal passage and out the mouth creates the sensation of drowning or suffocating. Try neti potting before bed or nasal misting.

Tony

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Removing the mask and not remembering it is fairly common. Happens to most of us at one time or another....especially newbies but I did it myself a couple of months ago and I have been on cpap nearly 4 years now.
Occasionally doing it...not a big deal but if it seems to want to become a bad habit then using a little bit of tape (like over the strap on the cheek area) can help because the discomfort of the tape removal is likely to cause more of an awakening so you can realize what you are doing and stop it.
With time and experience we seem to stop removing the mask and not remembering it except for maybe rare episodes.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Always tired

Post by Always tired » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Is is possible that you got up to use the bathroom and just forgot to put it back on? Twice in one week I forgot to reconnect the hose after getting up, but not since. I know that this is not like taking the mask completely off, but I like the idea of standing up before you take the mask off. I am now in the habit of sitting of the side of the bed and waiting to see the lights go on (on the PRS1) before getting back to bed.
A T