New user with questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NRLynn

New user with questions

Post by NRLynn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Used cpap about 3-4 months now and am looking for information and feedback about my machine compared to others. Here's the deal… currently using DeVilbiss Intellipap Standard with a humidifier and ResMed Swift FX Nasal pillows system. Originally had other head gear over my nose and we changed it after too much moisture around my nose, was uncomfortable. My equipment is through Medicare and have supplemental insurance. My supplier seems to be a medical equipment supply company. Here are my questions:

I wonder if there are better or worse machines, perhaps some are more popular and for what reason? I asked supplier how he happened to provide this machine rather that some other and he said this is what he has always provided… but have been reading and learning about different ones and didn't know anything when he brought it. I will be seeing my internist soon but don’t think he will know much on the issues…I never knew anything before as I was shocked to learn of the severe apnea I had after he recommended the sleep test, had ignored tired issues, thought it was age related, and did no previous investigation re equipment.

Have had issues with too much water thru the hose, changed humidity level a few times, and seem to be better at lower levels.

Wondering about the importance of having machine give me feedback on mask leakage, humidity, that sort of thing, some are called smart machines, or something similar with the ability to provide feedback - I think that would be very useful; do people use that option and is it helpful? My supplier guy talked me thru entering some stuff on machine, I read him a code back from it and he called me back w computer print out of how it was working, hours used, etc. and was fine; all good results.

Has been a time I've turned machine on and it started gurgling and spewing water through the entrance of the hose, it was not overfilled. Other times I've seen an amount of water accumulate in the hose. Others encounter this?

I will appreciate your feedback, many thanks.
Lynn

chunkyfrog

Re: New user with questions

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

You have been experiencing "rainout"; we have several threads with solutions.
Your Intellipap is actually a pretty decent machine, and I believe your machine has Smart codes,
which can be entered into the proper field on DeVilbiss' website to give you quite a bit of information, free of charge.
Lucky you, this is one of the few machines which will run on 12 volt power, so if there is an outage, your power options are many.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:53 pm

NRLynn wrote:currently using DeVilbiss Intellipap Standard
That model is the most basic plain jane model.
This machine at link below? If so it only tracks compliance hours of use. That's it. You would need the Intellipap Standard Plus machine to get more than how many hours of use. SleepyHead software works with the Standard Plus machine but you also would need the module that holds the SD card. That's an optional feature.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/devil ... ystem.html
If that is what you have you were given a brick. Might want to read this
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

If you were given the Plus machine then you can use online smart codes to have an idea what is going on. See this link and read about the Smart Code stuff...it explains how to get the smart code data.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... chine.html

Rainout....condensation in the mask or hose or both.

With the Swift FX we sometimes get moisture that will condense in the nasal pillow and the moisture comes from the moisture that our own exhaled breath contains. It even happens to people not using a humidifier. Just a product of nature when our warm moisture laden breath goes into the nasal pillow and the cool bedroom air causes it to condense.

I use the barrel cozy to help limit my nasal pillow rainout...and I use a heated hose but still would get the rain out if I didn't use the barrel cozy.
Great product...works well and it is really nice to feel the silk like material next to my skin.
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NRLynn

Post by NRLynn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks - looking at all this info - what is DME?? Also AHI ??
Thanks

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm

DME is Durable Medical Equipment- the folks you get your machine and supplies from. AHI is apnea/hypopnea index- the number of apnea and hypopnea incidents divided by the hours you sleep. Apnea is a total cessation of breathing, and hypopnea is decreased flow. Either can but don't necessarily lead to low O2 levels. The link at the top of the page CPAP Wiki and the first messages on the message board give a good overview of what is what.
Good luck.
Mary