SEMI-OT: My Jonah DOES NOT have apnea (or adenoids)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hawthorne

Re: SEMI-OT: My Jonah has apnea (adenoids)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:04 am

We are all thinking about Jonah and wishing him well! He seems like "one of our boys". He IS one of our boys!

As has been said, the parents worry more than the child! He will be fine and he will feel much better when it is done and he can breathe normally through his nose.

Do get a second opinion if it makes you feel better. I think that is a wise move.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 am

No one faults a parent for doing twice for their child what they would do for themselves.

PST

Post by PST » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

I had my adenoids out when I was a boy. I think I was the only kid I knew who had the adenoids out but not the tonsils. All I can remember 50-odd years later was how awful the ether smelled as Dr. Hollenberg put that old-fashioned anesthesia mask over my nose and mouth. I suppose it looked a lot like the Quattro I use every day now. I see Cindy Lou remembers the ether too. The last words I recall before going under were, "Just blow it away, just blow it away." I presume I had a sore throat afterwards, but it wasn't bad enough to be memorable. I seem to recall not finishing some ice cream, which wouldn't have been like me.

I don't think I would seek a second opinion in this situation. It is a fairly minor and standard procedure, one that seems logical and appropriate under the circumstances, and recommended by a doctor you like and trust. I'd save that for some time when the recommendation doesn't smell right or involves more potentially harmful treatment.

Post by 1041 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:01 pm

This can be a warning sign of a deeper problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026504

Ask about speech therapy or jaw expansion.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm

1041 wrote:This can be a warning sign of a deeper problem.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026504
Ask about speech therapy or jaw expansion.
I'm even sure what I read there!

Hawthorne, the kitchen table for Pete's sake? Holy moly! I really appreciate you all being so concerned for Jonah. Means a lot.
SleepingUgly wrote:Definitely get a second opinion. Make sure the tonsils really shouldn't come out, as you'd hate to have to put him under anesthesia again later to do it. My son had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy at age 5. It wasn't too bad. Kids rebound quickly.
StuUnderPressure wrote:Does the 1st Doctor even have to know that you got a 2nd opinion?
PST wrote:... I don't think I would seek a second opinion in this situation. It is a fairly minor and standard procedure, one that seems logical and appropriate under the circumstances, and recommended by a doctor you like and trust. I'd save that for some time when the recommendation doesn't smell right or involves more potentially harmful treatment.
All good, but conflicting, suggestions.
Sleep well and live better!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Final word! Get a second opinion! I don't want Scarlett to have to worry about his adenoids after they're married!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:36 pm

DoriC wrote:Final word! Get a second opinion! I don't want Scarlett to have to worry about his adenoids after they're married!
Nice!

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm

I would specifically make sure that tonsils are a non-issue before anesthetizing my kid to remove only adenoids.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

sleepnasta

Post by sleepnasta » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

my daughter is 4 and i suspect she might have enlarged adenoids that are causing apnea. she is a very restless sleeper, wakes a few times during the night, snores, and is sometimes very tired during the day. we are seeing the ENT in three weeks to pursue this further. if you feel uncomfortable proceeding with the surgery i would 100% get a second opinion. being your child's advocate is the most important thing you can do as a parent, imo. best of luck to you and your little one. i hope all goes well and he's sleeping much better soon.

tattooyu

Post by tattooyu » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:42 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:I would specifically make sure that tonsils are a non-issue before anesthetizing my kid to remove only adenoids.
Indeed.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:51 pm

My grandson has some sleep issues (wakes up at all hours and is restless in the night). He is 6. His sister sleeps two doors down (large closet and bathroom between the rooms) and complains that his snoring wakes her up. Had the adenoids out, but doctor left the tonsils. Didn't help his sleep, but does say he breathes much better.

He didn't seem to have any problems during or after the surgery. Good luck and hope it helps!!
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

tattooyu

Re: SEMI-OT: My Jonah DOES NOT have apnea (or adenoids)

Post by tattooyu » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Jonah had his adenoidectomy yesterday and is doing great! The doctor said his adenoids were "gargantuan." I'm so glad they're gone.

They said he would cry inconsolably for half an hour coming out of anesthesia. Did he?

Nope.

They said he would vomit, too. Did he?

Nope. Well, he did once in the car after sucking down too much milkshake, but that was our fault.

You would never guess that this little guy had surgery! Even yesterday, I could tell he was breathing better when he was taking a nap. It no longer sounds like he's breathing through a straw. He's taking much deeper, relaxed breaths... through his nose!

On the happy juice prior to surgery:

In recovery, sleeping:

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 pm

What great news that Jonah did so well with this! I know you're relieved. Thanks for the update.

P.S. He obviously wasn't worried going into surgery.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Fantastic news!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:40 pm

That is so great! "Our" little boy (we claim him as family you know), is doing great! What a trooper!

I'm so glad he did not have any problems - just indulgent parents!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap