flexable spending accounts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
xenablue

Re: flexable spending accounts

Post by xenablue » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Kenneth P. wrote:Well,we all can thank Mr. Obama for the new rule's..Love when our government can tell us how we can spend our money.But,our government can spend,spend without us telling them..Now,get ready for the next 4 yrs&beyond..If Obama has his way he will be our ruler for a long time.
We aren't being told how we can spend our money - just how much of it we can have tax-free.

cheers,
xena

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Last edited by cosmo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:55 pm

O'h yes we are.What can you use your card for now&4 yrs ago..well,we use to be able to get otc drug's,Blood Pressure machine's,contact stuff.Whole page list that was able to get tax free..Now nothing except co-pay's&what nsurance doesn't pay.So don't tell me that Obama isn't telling use what we can use our money on.
xenablue wrote:
Kenneth P. wrote:Well,we all can thank Mr. Obama for the new rule's..Love when our government can tell us how we can spend our money.But,our government can spend,spend without us telling them..Now,get ready for the next 4 yrs&beyond..If Obama has his way he will be our ruler for a long time.
We aren't being told how we can spend our money - just how much of it we can have tax-free.

cheers,
xena

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:09 pm

Blood Pressure machine, contact lens stuff, oximeter, crutches, band aids....

They are still ok with FSA otc. OTC meds are a different story...

no_more_headaches

Post by no_more_headaches » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Kenneth P. wrote:O'h yes we are.What can you use your card for now&4 yrs ago..well,we use to be able to get otc drug's,Blood Pressure machine's,contact stuff.Whole page list that was able to get tax free..Now nothing except co-pay's&what nsurance doesn't pay.So don't tell me that Obama isn't telling use what we can use our money on.
xenablue wrote:

cheers,
xena
SO your saying you want the government to give you tax assistance. IE to help you pay for things.

Supine AHI 78.9 REM AHI 16
Titrated 1/18/08, Pressure 9

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:18 pm

No,No..You need to check your info..2012 was the last year of that...
cosmo wrote:Blood Pressure machine, contact lens stuff, oximeter, crutches, band aids....

They are still ok with FSA otc. OTC meds are a different story...

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Well it's my money that I work hard for&Ishould decide what I want to do with it not the Damm Government.Obama say's he has not raised tax's on the middle class.Well what you call this
no_more_headaches wrote:
Kenneth P. wrote:O'h yes we are.What can you use your card for now&4 yrs ago..well,we use to be able to get otc drug's,Blood Pressure machine's,contact stuff.Whole page list that was able to get tax free..Now nothing except co-pay's&what nsurance doesn't pay.So don't tell me that Obama isn't telling use what we can use our money on.
xenablue wrote:

cheers,
xena
SO your saying you want the government to give you tax assistance. IE to help you pay for things.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:21 pm

cosmo wrote:Image

I went from $6,000 last year to a maximum allotted of $2,500 in 2013

I don't even know if $6,000 was the maximum last year.

I asked my TPA (Third Party Administrator) for our FSA what the limits were prior to this new limit. No limit set by the government, just the limit set by the company. Since they risk a loss on the plan each year, most companies set an upper limit. Ours was $2,000 last year and I wanted to increase to $3,000 and found out about the new limit.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

no_more_headaches wrote:
xenablue wrote:

cheers,
xena

The FSA gives a relief from taxes to those for whom the deduction of costs over 7.5% of adjusted income does not apply.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 pm

Has a Hard Working American Tax payer.I think it is load of crap that our government sit's there & decide's what I can do with my money.While this low life no working goverment back slacker's can sit in the government pay'd motel's,& don't have to lift a freak'n finger.Drive a brand new car while I work my Ass off to make it...

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 pm

WOOO!!!WOOO!!!That does me really good...
ughwhatname wrote:
no_more_headaches wrote:
xenablue wrote:

cheers,
xena

The FSA gives a relief from taxes to those for whom the deduction of costs over 7.5% of adjusted income does not apply.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm

no_more_headaches wrote:

$2,500 FSA vs $7,500 Electric/hybrids

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Kenneth P. wrote:WOOO!!!WOOO!!!That does me really good

The FSA gives a relief from taxes to those for whom the deduction of costs over 7.5% of adjusted income does not apply.[/quote][/quote]

I wasn't suggesting that you are getting great benefit, but rather that the FSA allows those without 7.5% or now 10% for 2013 of adjusted gross income in health expenses to have some benefit in the costs we do incur. It may be a small bone, but at least they throw us a small one.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Some thoughts re FSA from my experience, which may now be out of date.

I don't know if it was the plan administrator's option, or in the regs, but I had until March 31 to use up the previous years FSA account. As has been mentioned, any unused balance reverts to the plan administrator. The offsetting risk to the administrator is that the entire year's planned amount is available for you to spend on Jan 1. If you quit, or lose your job during the year any amount you spent above what you paid in is written off. You are not liable to repay it. You also cannot submit for reimbursement any expenses incurred after leaving your job.

FSA did not exist prior to the late 70's. It is funded with pre-tax dollars, i.e., you pay no taxes on the money you put into the FSA.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

idamtnboy wrote:Some thoughts re FSA from my experience, which may now be out of date.

I don't know if it was the plan administrator's option, or in the regs, but I had until March 31 to use up the previous years FSA account. As has been mentioned, any unused balance reverts to the plan administrator. The offsetting risk to the administrator is that the entire year's planned amount is available for you to spend on Jan 1. If you quit, or lose your job during the year any amount you spent above what you paid in is written off. You are not liable to repay it. You also cannot submit for reimbursement any expenses incurred after leaving your job.

FSA did not exist prior to the late 70's. It is funded with pre-tax dollars, i.e., you pay no taxes on the money you put into the FSA.

A couple of clarifications. Any amount reimbursed and not collected by the employee due to termination of employment is the financial responsibility of the company. It is a "use it or lose it" plan, so employees have risk in not spending their dollars by year end. If an employee leaves prior to using the dollars elected, they have the option to "COBRA" the benefit and continue to pay the plan their per pay period amount in after tax dollars until they have incurred the cost in order to submit reimbursement. That would also include the full yearly allotment without having put in the total amount. This is why most companies limit their exposure by setting an upper limit. Effective this year, the government has set a limit for all.

Its in the regs about the March 31 deadline to submit claims for the previous year.