So confused - which machines are good?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
birdygirl38

So confused - which machines are good?

Post by birdygirl38 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 pm

I am going to the DME office tomorrow to get my first machine. I am calling my insurance co before I go tomorrow to ask a list of questions I found on another forum so I know what machines are covered and by how much, in and out of network etc. But I don't know which machine would be best for me. Will the DME really tell me that or try to make their company the most profit by providing a lower end model to me? What is your experience there?
I had a good experience with the nose only mask at my titration sleep study. I hadn't felt that rested in a very long time. I must have slept most of the night 11-5 am. I only remember the tech coming in once to adjust the mask.

Laos Film Director

Re: So confused - which machines are good?

Post by Laos Film Director » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:06 am

Why take a chance with the DME? You don't know whether or not they will choose the best machine for you or the most profitable machine for them. Best thing to do is do your homework at this website and at cpap.com which is a company related to this website. And then tell the DME what you want. If they won't provide it tell them you'll walk. You choose the machine not them. if they don't cooperate find another provider.

The ResMed S9 Auto set would be my top choice. You should also consider the PR System One REMSTAR 60 Auto. If you have a high copay or cost is important I would choose the Intellipap Auto Adjust Travel CPAP. This machine is a great value imho.

Be sure to stick with the nasal mask that worked well for you during the sleep study.

Good Luck

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 am

See this helpful guide on what machines to use:

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:34 am

birdygirl38 wrote:Will the DME really tell me that or try to make their company the most profit by providing a lower end model to me? What is your experience there?
Yes, many of them will.

Right now, I'd say you want either a ResMed S9 machine or a Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) machine.

ResMed S9 - AutoSet - Good, Elite - acceptable, Escape - NO!!!!, Escape Auto - NO!!!

ResMed S9 machines are labeled with the model name next to the round start button on the left side.

PRS1 - Auto - Good, PRO - acceptable, PLUS - NO!!!!. There's also a DS160/DS160 model that's not labeled. It's even worse than the PLUS.

PRS1 machines usually say "REMstar <modelname> blahblah..." near the display. For instance, "REMstar Auto A-Flex" is the good one.

Right now, I consider all the other brands of CPAP to be much less desirable because they don't record as much data about your treatment and neither you nor your doctor can monitor your therapy as effectively if something goes wrong.

If you need a "bilevel/BiPAP/VPAP" machine, that is another level of treatment. All the S9 and PRS1 machines there are OK.

You usually have multiple DMEs who are in-network for your insurance. Don't be afraid to check with your insurance and try to find one who will give you the right machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Burkebang

Post by Burkebang » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:41 am

You should not accept anything other than an APAP. That is a machine that will adjust your pressure automatically within a set pressure range. These machines can also be used with a fixed pressure if need be. An APAP does it all, while a streight CPAP only does fixed pressure.
As mentioned, data recording capability is very important, so the only machines that I would recommend is the following:

Devilbiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust, with Smartlink module. This machine must have this addon module to record data. My favourite.
Philips Respironics System One, model 550 or 560. I presently use the 550 and it's a good machine, but larger and more noicy than the Devilbiss.
Resmed S9 Autoset. Could not get this machine to work for me, I tried 3 machines with no luck. Many people think this is the best machine.

Make sure you get a humidifier also.

JamesW6175

Post by JamesW6175 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 am

So far, being a newbie, I have been happy with what was recommended for me by the Doctor and the DME(?). Have not had any problems with the ResMed S9 Elite or the H5i humidifier with the climate hose. I am sleeping better, and not as tired during the day. It took a little while to get use to the full face mask, but it's working ok now. My AH was in the 41 range, and have been on the CPAP machine since 30 October. Don't really know if this machine is a good one or not, but it seems to be a good one for me. Go with what the Doctor and the DME says, they know more about this and what is prescribed to fit your needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 am

JamesW6175 wrote:Have not had any problems with the ResMed S9 Elite or the H5i humidifier with the climate hose. Don't really know if this machine is a good one or not, but it seems to be a good one for me.
It is a good machine. Full efficacy data is available and there is easily obtained and used comprehensive software available.
JamesW6175 wrote:Go with what the Doctor and the DME says, they know more about this
Actually the doctor probably knows the least about the various machines. Most doctors don't have a clue about the model variations. DMEs often will fill the RX from the doctor (most common RX will state cpap at so and so pressure and maybe include heated humidifier) with the cheapest machine that will meet the requirements of the RX. If the doctor doesn't mention exhale relief on the RX they don't have to dispense a machine with exhale relief. If the RX doesn't mention efficacy data on the RX they don't have to dispense a machine that offers full efficacy data.
My own RX simple states Cpap at 8 cm pressure with heated humidification...that's it.
Doesn't mention exhale relief and sure doesn't mention data. The most basic ResMed S9 Escape and the Respironics model 150 would satisfy the RX requirements. If the DME is profit driven ...you can bet that the machine that I would be given would be a brick non efficacy data machine. That's what my first choice for DME tried to give me. I fired them and just bought my own machine privately so not have to deal with the hassle of fighting. My current DME is used for masks and other incidental supplies. He has never sold me a machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:20 am

I am a newbie, but I would like to add a comment.

If you are thinking that you want to be involved with your CPAP treatment, rather than just getting a machine and wearing the mask at night, I would like to say that, even though I am happy with my Philips Respironics model 460 (which records my night-time data) there is only one software that can read the data, Encore Basic. That limits my ability to analyze my data. The Encore Basic software is just that, BASIC, IMO.

So... if you are thinking you'd like to have software on your computer and check your data, then the PR 460 may not be the machine for you. I would really like to have my data in SleepyHead software, but SleepyHead can't read my PR 460 data...

If you aren't going to watch your data on the computer, then the PR 460 is fine. AND, even if you don't think you would use the data, there might be a time when you wished you could! Many times, people come to the forum for help but without efficacy data it is much harder to help...

Welcome to the forum. You will find a whole lot of people here to help you with your treatment.

Phil
Boo and Pika! My constant companions.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:28 am

Phil_in_CA wrote:So... if you are thinking you'd like to have software on your computer and check your data, then the PR 460 may not be the machine for you. I would really like to have my data in SleepyHead software, but SleepyHead can't read my PR 460 data...
There is a patch now for SleepyHead allowing 60 series model users to use Sleepyhead.
viewtopic/t83551/SleepyHead-Series-60-Patch-Avail.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 am

WAHOO!

Thanks SleepHead
Thanks Pugsy

I will go get the patch right now....... I am outta here!

2Tim215

Post by 2Tim215 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:01 am

If you haven't went to your appointment yet, consider this. Most insurance companies only allow 1 machine per 5 year period. So it is very important to have a machine that will meet your therapy needs for five years. I think the S9 Resmed Autoset would be a great choice or the
PR System One REMSTAR 60 Auto. Hope this helps!

Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
S9 AutoSet 4cm-12cm

Phil_in_CA

Post by Phil_in_CA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:16 pm

Now, thanks to Pugsy, I have the latest version of SleepHead and I am pleased with the reports.

If you need a CPAP machine (as opposed to some other kind of PAP machine),

I can say that the Philips Respironics System One REMstar Pro CPAP with C-Flex +

is a nice machine that provides data and is easy to use and maintain.

Phil

birdygirl38

Post by birdygirl38 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks for all the info.
I ended up with the Remstar Pro Auto 60 series.
Working out well with my Mirage FX for her Nasal mask.
I am having no problems with leaks and using sleepyhead software my AHI has been 2.5 or lower and I have been using the
machine for 9 days and sleeping with the gear on 6 or more hours each night.
Just not sure what the leak data in sleepyhead is telling me or what I should be looking for related to leaks vs total leaks on that graph.
I am feeling so much better, gone are the constant headaches and all the body pain I was experiencing due to lack of sleep and/or my flu shot - could've been a combo of both.
All the pain had been causing me to have anxiety attacks and I was afraid of leaving the house too on many days. Now not so much.
Good thing - I am a personal chef and need to go to clients homes on a regular basis.
Also now that my air is filtered using the machine, I am not waking up congested as often either - perhaps a dust allergy is part of the issue too.
I have energy now and am feeling more like myself.
Hoooray!!!!!!

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Glad you got a decent machine. Did you have to fight your DME, or did he give you a Pro model without asking?

BTW, your equipment lists a PRS1 PLUS, not the pro.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

birdygirl38

Post by birdygirl38 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am

I got the Pro Model without asking - it was their standard. So far so good, still trying to learn about the leak info from Sleepyhead but my AHI is always at 2 or less most nights and a few 3 - 6 readings. The Respiratory therapist called after a week to see if I was having trouble at all. I think she was shocked that I wasn't. The 6 was on a night I was very congested and ended up taking it off after only 2 hours without looking at the clock. I need to get a clock on my side of the bed then I would have put it back on and tried again. I thought it had been a long time. Getting my energy back. I now have motivation to get back to eating healthy and I am eliminating wheat from my diet after reading Wheat Belly, so much of it resonated with me and between that and the lack of before CPAP, that could be the reason for my piling on the weight and having so many anxiety issues over the last 2 years that were making me a recluse without enough motivation to get my new business really humming. Sleep is just so important to a great quality of life.

I am going to talk to a friend of mine who has been putting of the sleep study to convince her to at least go for the study and try eliminating wheat from her diet. She has been complaining about bad sleep, allergies, anxiety and asthma. Sleep will help 2 and the wheat elimination can help the other two.

Thanks for listening.