Thinking about small generator for backup

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Thinking about small generator for backup

Post by archangle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:40 pm

avi123 wrote:Resmed machines may need inverters for 500 watts:

That page is horribly poorly worded.

S8 CPAP blower unit only, 150W MSW (Modified Sine Wave) is OK.
S9 plus humidifier, 150W MSW is OK.
S8 Humidifiers, 300W continuous, 500W Peak, PURE Sine wave is needed.
When it says "Humidaire must not be used with inverter," it means the really old models, not the ones labeled with HumidAire "C series, 2i, 3i, H4i, or H5i."

Thanks for the page from that doc avi. The original is here: http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm

I was wrong as to the brand, its a DieHard 400watt. I bought this st the local napa autoparts store 4-5 years ago, they are like 50.00.
Here is a pic.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Because the title of this thread is about a generator, further discussion about batteries was moved to here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83669&p=758941#p758941

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Lane Scott

Post by Lane Scott » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 am

For my GoodKnight 420G (12V DC) I use an 18 Amphour sealed lead acid battery for back up and camping. I've built the backup unit myself with standard connectors and cables form an electonics supply store.

The CPAP draws just under one amp per hour and I easily run the unit for two nights while camping. I also have a ProBasics Zzz Pap that runs at 120V AC and use an inverter with that to achieve the same result. Note that for the Zzz Pap I don't use the humidifier while on battery as that would draw too much power. If you need the humidifier an upgrade to a 35 amphour battery would likely do the trick and give you two nights for a unit with a similar draw to the Zzz Pap.

Another advantage of the inverter is that you can attach it to your vehicle to recharge you CPAP batteries (via a charger) for an extended power outage. In my case I've a small 800 watt generator for basic lighting and charging of electronics for an extended outage (realize it won't run heavy duty items like a refridgerator) - don't want to store the fuel for a larger generator.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Journeyman

Post by Journeyman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Well this reply is about an inverter type generator. I have a Yamaha EF30iSEB. This is the 3000 watt model. It runs on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. At 1/4 load 5.82 amps it will run about 20 hours on a 20 pound BBQ type propane tank. This will run my furnace Propane stores very well. Check out ---- "US Carburetion Inc". Google them, they are a Tri fuel generator Yamaha dealer. They are great people to do business with. I believe the 2000 watt model will ship UPS. Its all on their site. They are in Summersville, West Virginia. I would recommend them to anyone. I have used My cpap machine while at deer camp running on a "2000 watt yamaha Tri fuel inverter" while on propane for a week. No problems at all. The 2000 watt ran my machine, a camper refrigerator and several lights. They are very quiet running units as well.
On EDIT; There were two cpaps running at night, mine and another guys in another trailer. Also a ten inch fan on low, with the outside lights and camper refrigerator. The 2000 watt model will run @ 13.3 amp draw all day long. It will handle a surge to 16.7 amps. Its a very nice unit. I saved my money for about four years trying to decide on what to buy. I wanted mine for the furnace in the house, didn't know about cpap four years ago. The 2000 watt unit weighs about 50 lbs. Its not very big, smaller than a 40 quart cooler. The 3000 watt unit weighs a little over 150 pounds. It will run @ 23.3 amp draw all day long. It will handle a surge to about 30 amps. It comes with wheels and with a little ramp it will roll or fit into most any camping trailer.

Last edited by Journeyman on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Lane Scott wrote:The CPAP draws just under one amp per hour
That would be "one amp." "one amp per hour" is the wrong units.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.