Feels like machine is not working

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
apsews

Feels like machine is not working

Post by apsews » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:21 am

Last night was the first time(2 weeks on machine)that I felt like my machine was not on. I looked at it a couple of times to see if the buttons were lit to be sure it was on. My lowest pressure is 5. Has anyone else experienced this. Is it just an adjustment thing?
Alison

If you are ever caught sleeping at work just slowly raise your head and say "In Jesus name I pray,Amen"

LSAT

Re: Feels like machine is not working

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

If you pull the mask away from your face you will feel the pressure, but at a pressure of 5 you may not feel much. The machine is most likely producing a higher pressure than 5.

apsews

Post by apsews » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am

it is set at auto with pressure 5-10 and I can feel it when I pull it away from my face. Just wondering if this is normal.
Alison

If you are ever caught sleeping at work just slowly raise your head and say "In Jesus name I pray,Amen"

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:44 am

Yes, it is entirely normal.
What feels like a hurricane when we first put on the mask will feel like a gentle breeze by morning.
The body gets used to the pressure...it becomes the norm...so we just don't notice it as much.
It is common...and often people think there is something wrong with their machine.
It happens to people using much higher pressures too. Totally normal reaction to the adaptation of using the machine and having the hurricane force winds die down.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:26 am

At least once a week I'll wake up, think the machine isn't working or that I forgot to hook up the hose, and will have to wave my hand in front of the exhaust vents on the mask to feel for the air flow.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:00 pm

KEQ5 wrote: have to wave my hand in front of the exhaust vents on the mask to feel for the air flow.
Yup, that's my technique too. Easy, plus you don't have to fool with the mask seal.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:07 pm

When I check to see if the machine is on, I aways put my hand up around the mask vent and see if I feel the air coming out. As you get used to wearing the mask and you get used to the pressure, it can feel like you don't have the machine on.

Sheriff

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Opening your mouth and letting air gush in your nose out your mouth is sometimes helpful to convince yourself it's working.

I've had my machine set on 18 sometimes, and sometimes I can't feel the pressure.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

apsews

Post by apsews » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks guys!! Glad to know I am normal. Since changing mask on Wednesday I have been sleeping really well and very glad I am adjusting fairly easily. You all have been wonderful help!!
Alison

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 am

KEQ5 wrote: have to wave my hand in front of the exhaust vents on the mask to feel for the air flow.

Yup, that's my technique too. Easy, plus you don't have to fool with the mask seal.
I do this too. At first, I would bump the seal to hear the noise. Then my mom suggested I wave my hand in front of the vent. Duh. So simple. And yes, I do this at least a few times a week. And my pressure is 11-17. It feels completely normal to me. The only time I really feel it is when I have a leak.

Now, I have had 3 times where the machine was actually off. Two were due to a humidifier error. No idea what caused it. All I had to do was open it, close it, turn the machine off and on again. It was fine again. The other time was due to a short power outage. All 3 times felt fine. It obviously woke me up, so I was aware that it was different. But I wasn't struggling to breathe. Strangely, I actually feel fine at 0 and fine at 11-17. But I feel like I am struggling at 5 (I had to turn the ramp off after a couple days). I have no idea why zero feels fine while 5 feels like not enough air.

Overall, though, I think our brains are really good at getting used to stuff and then ignoring it unless something changes.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chearyshe

Post by chearyshe » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 am

Weird things happen! I usually check if the machine is working by passing my hand in front of the vent. But one time I did that and there was no air coming out. Hmm, I vaguely remember turning off the machine so I could take the mask off and drink some water. That was the last thing I remember until I was woken up by the dog's yipping. (She not a CPAP Service Dog!) Now when I want to get a drink I turn on the bedside lamp!
cheary!

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 am

chearyshe wrote:Weird things happen! I usually check if the machine is working by passing my hand in front of the vent. But one time I did that and there was no air coming out. Hmm, I vaguely remember turning off the machine so I could take the mask off and drink some water. That was the last thing I remember until I was woken up by the dog's yipping. (She not a CPAP Service Dog!) Now when I want to get a drink I turn on the bedside lamp!
cheary!

When I want to get a drink...I turn on the faucet! Things must be different in Israel.

L'shanah tovah
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I can't imagine their plumbing is THAT different!