Flying with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
davelikesbeer

Flying with CPAP

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I've taken my CPAP on several trips before. So far, I've not had a chance to use it on a plane though. I deal with this by using a mouth piece which seems to work okay.

However, now I have a chance to fly business class on a long haul flight. I know the seat does have AC. The question is, how clean is the power? I know from this forum that some inverters are not that good and should not be used for CPAP.

How is the power on planes? I'm going to be flying United international business class if that matters.

cdcm71

Re: Flying with CPAP

Post by cdcm71 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:55 pm

What mouth pc. do you use while on a plane. I've been wondering about this.

Sorry, haven't been on a fancy enough flight to have power.
Machine:PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex + Heated Humidifer
Mask: Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask with headgear
Pressure starts at 8, Data card says I'm at 11.5 90% of the time.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:57 pm

cdcm71 wrote:What mouth pc. do you use while on a plane. I've been wondering about this.

Sorry, haven't been on a fancy enough flight to have power.
It's just Puresleep. It's for snoring. Basically, you boil it to soften it, then stick it in your mouth, push out your lower jaw, and clamp down to make a lasting impression.

I bought it before being re-diagnosed with OSA, and getting my CPAP and have been using it on long haul flights. I'm not sure it works, but I've not woken up with a headache while using it. Although, that could be because my airline seat isn't normally horizontal.

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 am

You should check directly with United.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ators.aspx

I normally fly Air Canada and I was told that the in seat AC was not sufficient to run a CPAP machine, so If I need to use it on board I will need to have batteries.

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:06 am

JO'M wrote:You should check directly with United.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ators.aspx

I normally fly Air Canada and I was told that the in seat AC was not sufficient to run a CPAP machine, so If I need to use it on board I will need to have batteries.
Thanks for the link. United doesn't mention the quality of the AC, only that they do not guarantee that the AC is working in every seat, thus the passenger should have a battery supply. I'm sure they wouldn't like me carrying a deep cycle marine battery on the plane. I'll probably just not use it.

stipton

Post by stipton » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am

I took mine on a 10 hour international flight. Every security check, I was held up for 20 mins or so while they went over my machine with a fine tooth comb. I guess it looks too much like a bomb. I used my battery pack from cpap.com. Just know if you take it, they will hold you up while going over the machine.

Some good people in here!

davelikesbeer

Post by davelikesbeer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:57 pm

stipton wrote:I took mine on a 10 hour international flight. Every security check, I was held up for 20 mins or so while they went over my machine with a fine tooth comb. I guess it looks too much like a bomb. I used my battery pack from cpap.com. Just know if you take it, they will hold you up while going over the machine.
I've brought my machine through airport security many times, both domestically and international and never had a problem. At worst, it was as bad as bring a laptop on the plane having to take it out of its bag and place it in a bin to be X-rayed.