Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Chikorita
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia

Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Chikorita » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:17 pm

I started with a nasal mask that sat too close to my eyes so I've switched to nasal pillows. These are going well but the way the air vents blow makes a noise when it hits the covers.

Are masks a bit like Goldilocks and the porridge? Will I eventually find one that is 'just right' or is there always something a bit annoying?

Only been on cpap for a couple of weeks so this isn't a complaint, more pondering about the future.

_________________
Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: :: Breathing at night is my new hobby :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: APAP since 3/8/2012 :: OSCAR ::
________
Chikorita in Australia :: APAP since 3/8/2012
1 God, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 8 chooks, 5 ducks, 3 budgies and a bee hive
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

User avatar
Xney
Posts: 842
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Xney » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Some people find a perfect one for them, most of us are still looking.

_________________
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Actually a S9 VPAP Adapt, and Respironics M Series Auto BiPAP

User avatar
brucifer
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Villa Rica, GA

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by brucifer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I found the perfect mask for me, so I consider myself fortunate. However, others really have a time even finding a functional mask for their circumstances. I hope you find the perfect mask for you.

_________________
Mask: Opus 360 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: 13 cm pressure, wireless modem

User avatar
Dormejo
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:40 am
Location: Victoria, Australia.

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Dormejo » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:49 am

I'm happy with the Pilario for a first time mask, however I'm thinking I'll start looking for a second excellent mask just in case I loose, break, throw this one......
I trialled a full mask during my sleep study and I'm happy the nasal pillows mask is working well. It is light and easy to sleep on my side with.

Thanks
Cheers
Sleep Well.....

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 65411
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:53 am

Chikorita wrote: Are masks a bit like Goldilocks and the porridge? Will I eventually find one that is 'just right' or is there always something a bit annoying?
I think for most people we end up compromising in some fashion. If the worst problem you have is the vent noise against the covers you are very lucky...all masks will vent and the air hitting the covers does make a little noise.
You might try routing the hose over your head with some sort of hose management system. This forces the vent holes upwards so not much chance of hitting the covers. But then that is another compromise...I really don't like the hose routed over my head (my preference and many others love it overhead) and the vent hitting the covers doesn't really bug me. The overall comfort and less on my face thing far outweighs the one little negative of the noise from the vent.

We each have our on little annoyances with just about any mask. What might bug the crap out of me may not bug someone else and what might bug someone else I don't even notice.
Pros and cons with all masks. The goal is to find one with minimal cons for each of us personally.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
Sloop
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:56 pm
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Sloop » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 am

Perfect mask? Of course ..........

ResMed SoftGel


"who could ask for anything more?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4iJXmBsKmU
................21+ years of restorative, apnea-free sleep.

User avatar
Suzjohnson
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am
Location: Dammeron Valley, UT

Re: Is there such a thing as the perfect mask?

Post by Suzjohnson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 am

Chikorita wrote: These are going well but the way the air vents blow makes a noise when it hits the covers.

Are masks a bit like Goldilocks and the porridge? Will I eventually find one that is 'just right' or is there always something a bit annoying?
.
Some face shapes seem to lend themselves to finding that perfect mask and some don't. Personally, a nasal pillow mask seems to be as close as I can come to perfection because there is so little material that needs to conform to the shape of my face, however, I have to wear a darn chinstrap, which I detest. For me, there probably won't be a perfect mask, only the least awful. But I can live with that as long as I'm getting good therapy and can actually make it through an entire night with it attached to my face.

Suz

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: SleepyHead, CMS 50D+, Deluxe Chinstrap, began CPAP 4/21/2012
"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle