Mirage Quattro FX Cushion Life

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Mirage Quattro FX Cushion Life

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 03, 2012 9:06 am

I tried the boiling with tap water and baking soda, Yuck!
I had to re-do with a distilled water and vinegar soak, then boil in distilled water and baking soda.
Simmered 5 minutes. Better, but I may have to set the timer for longer next time.
Maybe I'll try the rice cooker.

Ineedanap

Post by Ineedanap » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if boiling actually gives the cushion new life or if it just gets rid of the cloudiness from the soap.
I was researching because my seal is shot but my new cushion wont be here for a few more days.
I never would have made it without this forum.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:22 am

cgmichigan89 wrote:For those of you who have this mask...How often do you replace the cushions? I have had mine for about 4 weeks now and the past 3 nights the top seal keeps seperating from the frame?

I started 3 1/2 months ago, so I haven't actually gotten a new cushion yet for mine. I did notice about 5 weeks ago, that it was doing this for a couple nights. I don't clean the cushion every single night, and I was not doing the frame as often. So, I did both and really soaked them with dawn. I read somewhere that if it gets oily, it can separate easier. I haven't really had that problem since. Last week, I was having trouble with it leaking more (not separating though). SO, I though it was getting old. But this week, I have been flat lining on zero for leak. So, I think most of it is me being a newbie and not mastering the various cleaning and fitting techniques on a consistent basis. When I get it right, it is sometimes accidental

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:39 am

I just finished reading the rest of the thread. I am so glad you revived this one as I never really saw it before. I really appreciated seeing the photos and boiling instructions. I am hoping to get a new cushion on Friday. I want to switch DMEs, and I will be going with my mom to the sleep doctor which has their own DME. They are the ones who happily ordered the small headgear for me (arrived in the mail less than a week later) after my original DME lied and said a small didn't exist, and then refused to order it when I provided an email from Resmed.

I haven't heard anything from them except a phone call at one month to check on me, and a mailer with a new sd card and return mailer for the compliance card. Oh, and some of the bills have come through. No followup at 3 months. Of course, they don't know I am already planning to fire them. Hopefully, I can get a new cushion and filters from the new DME and find out when I can start getting new supplies. I want to get backups of everything and also stash as much as I can. My contract is up next May, and it seems like our health plan changes every time. Even over the past 3 years (same contract), our low deductible and HRA deposits have to be earned, and it takes more each year to earn them. Mine is $500 deposit in January, and a $500 deductible (used to be $250). For those people who did not do the health assessment and put a primary doctor on record, they lost the $500 AND have a $750 deductible. For next year, we have to do the same thing plus something more. We have to earn 150 points that can be earned a variety of ways. One way is an annual exam which is free and earns the full 150 points. So, no problem for me this year. But I suspect they are working on ways to make obese people pay more unless they lose weight, and other health improvements. They keep offering counseling for things like weight loss, high blood pressure, back pain, etc. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out to do it with random scheduling. They want us to sign up and set up a day of week and time to call, but I don't know what next week's schedule will be. So, with my sleep schedule and work schedule, they need to call on my day off, and haven't found it yet. They do not allow us to call them. And they don't do email. If I can stock up a little now, I will feel better about this if the insurance gets more challenging.

Anyway, as soon as I get my new cushion, I will try boiling. And I will do my own before and after photos so that I can see how much of a difference I made.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 pm

I am trying a mask liner from padacheek. If the problem is oily skin, the liner may may help. I tried it because I did not like the wet feel that I was getting from the silicone. (and to help with leaks)

So far the liner it has helped on both fronts. It could also make the life shorter, if you trap the oils next to the mask longer. But I suspect that it would help.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Hard water here; makes scum on everything.
I'm not sure what it will do to my Sleepweaver élan, but it looks and feels fine.