Must Choose Between CPAP & Sore Face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dangerousdave

Must Choose Between CPAP & Sore Face

Post by dangerousdave » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:50 pm

I've been using my CPAP for about a week and have developed a very sore area on the right side of my face where the nasal mask rests. It hurts and it's not great looking so for now. I've chosen to let it get better and not use the CPAP. I've seen comments here about additional pads etc that I could buy but I don't know what's best for me. If I don't find some relief then this process is going to be on again off again.

Pugsy

Re: Must Choose Between CPAP & Sore Face

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Can you use a nasal pillow mask? Nothing gets touched except the nostrils.

Mask liners...scroll down to the bottom of the page for nasal mask liners. It might be possible for you to make one yourself.
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

Moleskin (found in the foot section of most pharmacies and walmart) applied to the area of the mask that is causing the abrasion might help.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:05 pm

You can make a gasket out of many things--
a facial tissue, Viva paper towel, old t-shirt, or a microfiber wash cloth--improvise.
No need to let pain get between your health and you.

gertrude

Post by gertrude » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Nasal pillows are an alternative worth tying, as Pugsy suggsts. If they don't work for you, you might try a different nasal mask. Some have found the sleepweaver cloth mask is a relief from the irritations caused by silicon rubbing on the face/nose.

lliann

Post by lliann » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:You can make a gasket out of many things--
a facial tissue, Viva paper towel, old t-shirt, or a microfiber wash cloth--improvise.
No need to let pain get between your health and you.

Only on my 2nd month, but I am learning that to improvise is one of the big keys to allowing this to work for us. Yep, we will hit roadblocks. Instead of saying Oops roadblock, we
get creative.

There are some very creative people on here.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 pm

gertrude wrote:Nasal pillows are an alternative worth tying, as Pugsy suggsts.
Hi,

I'll echo that, too. I use the Swift LT, and it only touches my face at the bottom of my nose. It has no contact with my cheeks or the bridge of my nose, and it doesn't blow air into my eyes. It is also very light. Finally, as a BiPAP user, I have trouble with nasal and full face masks bouncing up and down on my face, and the nasal pillows don't do that. The only real trick with nasal pillows is trying to keep my mouth shut.

-john-

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Also -- try the masks that seal without much headgear tension. The ResMed ACTIVA line is famous for this.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Be careful. If you don't use your CPAP for 4 hours a night on most nights, you insurance may refuse to pay and you'll be stuck paying for the machine out of pocket.

Does it seem like an allergic reaction, friction, pressure, or what?

Is it where the strap touches you or the clear plastic?

Be sure not to overtighten the straps. The mask should sort of float on your face, with the air inside the mask pushing the seal against your face.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

the_nap_ster

Post by the_nap_ster » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:48 am

dangerousdave wrote:I've been using my CPAP for about a week and have developed a very sore area on the right side of my face where the nasal mask rests. It hurts and it's not great looking so for now. I've chosen to let it get better and not use the CPAP. I've seen comments here about additional pads etc that I could buy but I don't know what's best for me. If I don't find some relief then this process is going to be on again off again.
I'm going to second everything everyone has told you, but I especially want to echo two things.

1.) Some of us cannot tolerate nasal masks. I've tried four so far, and all of them cut me or left blisters. (I don't count the Sleepweaver masks in here, since they're fabric. They might work better for you.) For me, nasal pillows are a MILLION times more comfortable. I suggest the Aloha as the place to start, but I also love my Pilairo, and lots of people love the Swift FX.

2. The mask is probably too tight. Everyone says this, but it took me about three months to really get it that I was STILL over-tightening. The mask should truly barely stay on your face. This feels so weird, but it's how they're designed to work. Loosen the straps up, a lot, and see how things go.

Good luck, and it will be so worth it once you get things dialed in!

Xney

Post by Xney » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:21 am

Chances are, if the mask is tight enough to abuse your face, then it's not fitting well (or you're just making it too tight)

When I started with a nasal mask, I had to tighten it too much to seal it because it just didn't fit my face. (and none of the nasal masks do!)

Fortunately, nasal pillows have fit my nose or I would be in trouble. Something to try out when you get the chance. The odd thing about the nasal masks is they sort of "breathe" with you, but they should seal from their own pressure and not a "hard" seal by tightening them down. You want it snug enough that it's not slipping around, but loose enough that the internal pressure pressing the lining to the skin is what seals it. (also true for nasal pillows, except they're in your nares)

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:54 am

Regarding the issue of tightening masks, I have found that if you have a small head and face as I do, it is impossible not to without avoiding leaks which of course leads to the problem with soreness. Dammed if you do and dammed if you don't

Dangerous Dave, is getting a smaller headgear an option for you to try? I definitely plan to see if that helps with the over tightening issue when I settle on the right mask.

Hang in there.

49er

dangerousdave

Post by dangerousdave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:36 am

the_nap_ster wrote:....2. The mask is probably too tight. Everyone says this, but it took me about three months to really get it that I was STILL over-tightening. The mask should truly barely stay on your face. This feels so weird, but it's how they're designed to work. Loosen the straps up, a lot, and see how things go. Good luck, and it will be so worth it once you get things dialed in!
I may have been wearing the mask too tight so I loosened it last night. However, it will be some time before I can know for sure I guess due to the redness and pimples that have developed directly under the mask silicon on the right side of my face.

I did use the CPAP again last night after a one night layoff so I'll keep at it and I'll look at the pillow suggestions made here. Two hours after removing the mask, I still have red mask marks from the left side of my nose to the bridge and down the right so I don't know if I still have it too tight. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, comments and experiences.
Dave

mike95490

Post by mike95490 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:19 am

Ditto on checking the mask seals for allergens, try a supercleaning in a dishwasher alone (if you have one) there may be "manufacturing" residue on the mask/seals that are irritating you. Too tight of straps will cause leaks too. Start loose, laying down, and slowly tighten straps,or lightly press on the mask, when leaks stop, then adjust the straps to barely hold it on.

Resmed Swift FX nasal pillow
Peak PKC0AZ 450 Amp Jump Starter (backup power)