New PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto and Software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
edm_msu

New PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto and Software

Post by edm_msu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 am

This is my first month using CPAP. Right now I am using the S9 AutoSet. I chose this because of the heated tube option, although the fact that it will not run on 12 volts bothers me. The new PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto CPAP with Heated Humidifier and Heated Tube just came out. I'd switch over to this after my three month compliance period, except there may not be a good way to get the data.

I read that SleepyHead will not work. Is that true? If so, then what are the plans to get this to work? What other software alternatives are there, preferably for free? I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit, not 32 bit. Although I am reasonably computer proficient, I don't want to use software that usually does not work on a 64 bit computer. The less "clutter" there is, the faster it will run.

How much data is displayed on the LCD screen on the 60 Series Auto CPAP (or System 1) compared to the S9 AutoSet?

BTW, these are my evaluations of these machines:
S9 AutoSet: Pros: Nice looking, color LCD, much information displayed on the LCD, more costumer oriented company. Smaller machine and travel bag. Heated hose is an option. Cons: Will not run on 12 volts. Hose goes out to the rear of CPAP. Other pros/cons?

PR System 1 Pro Auto: Pros: Solid, quality feel, quieter when breathing, runs on 12 volts, ramp function can be activated at any time, better and more versatile humidification (except for heated hose). Cons: No heated hose, Larger, especially the travel bag. No easy way to light up LCD in middle of the night. Other pros/cons?

Why do more people in this forum seem to have the S9? Which of these machines "breathes better", including comfort? Which of these machines has the better Auto algorithm?

These are the only two brands my DME offers, so they are the only options.

Thanks,
Ed M.

Pugsy

Re: New PR System One REMStar 60 Series Auto and Software

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Please check your private message box.

Mark is currently working on making SleepyHead compatible with the new 60 Series machine but the timeline is unknown.

The new 60 series machines require either Encore Pro 2.8 or EncoreBasic. The other older versions of the Encore products aren't supported for the 60 Series machine.
EncoreBasic will indeed install on the new Windows 7 64 bit computers (I have it up and running on mine).
It gives all the data that Pro 2.8 will give without the headaches that comes with Pro or the bulk.
There is nothing to gain by using Pro 2.8 over EncoreBasic.
EncoreBasic is also backwards compatible with the older Respironics machines. I know for sure that it is with M series machines and I suspect with the Legacy series machines but no one that I know using that machine has tried this new version yet.

Which brand is better? ResMed or Respironics? It depends on a person's needs and outlook and what they are using. Most people have not had a chance to use both machines to offer any thoughts.
I have had the chance to use both brands bilevel machines. They both were quite comfortable to use and both gave me excellent therapy and to be honest...I like both pretty much the same.
They both have minor pros and cons. Biggest plus for the S9 machines was the heated hose and now that issue is resolved. On screen data.....ResMed has always had more data on the LCD screen. I am not sure what you can see on the 60 series machine but it will likely be very limited when compared to ResMed but with the software...who cares..

BTW with the PR S1 machine...if you forget and leave the SD card out...you only lose flow graph or waveform. The other detailed data is stored on the machine for around 30 days before it starts being overwritten. With the S9....if the SD card isn't in the machine...no high def detailed data at all.
So another minor pro and con.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm in the same boat. Current S9 APAP user with an PR System One REMStar 60 series Auto on the way from our hosts (cpap.com)

Any information on how to obtain the software and clinicians manual would be appreciated very much

~UB

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote: Any information on how to obtain the software and clinicians manual would be appreciated very much
Check PMs.

No luck yet on the clinician manual. The apneaboard doesn't have it listed yet either.
I think that cpap.com should include it though....didn't they used to always include the provider manual or maybe it was just the provider quick set up guide?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Uncle Bob,
I'm leaning toward the new 60. Please let me know what you think about your new 60. How well does the software work? Is there much data displayed on the CPAP? Is it easy to turn the LCD on in the middle of the night? Anything else? Would you recomend it?

Brenda,
Thank you for your PM's and postings. They were very helpful.

Ed M.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Brenda,

Thanks for the PM
The Clinicians manual will not be provided with the machine because according to cpap.com it doesn't exist.
Was there a clinicians manual for the orignal PR ONE Series? If so everything regarding settings is the same.
Instruction for the heated hose are of course not clinical and are provided.

Ed,

I expect my machine will arrive sometime next week. Anything shipped from cpap.com via fedex always seems to have a few days grand tour of texas.
I like the idea of running the machine on 12v although the adaptor is not yet available there is one planned.
It looks like the water chamber that is supplied with the PR One 60 series is smaller and it may be one that comes apart for cleaning.
The cuff on the heated hose looks to be better constructed/more durable that the climateline hose.
The PR One heated hose length is only 72 inches whereas the climateline is 78 inches. This may be an issue for some people, inlcuding myself. I route the hose over my bed head and down to my head and the climateline barely makes it. Hopefully the top hose connection on the PR One may compensate for those 6 inchs.
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:I'm in the same boat. Current S9 APAP user with an PR System One REMStar 60 series Auto on the way from our hosts (cpap.com)

~UB
Bob,

Just curious ... If you don't mind sharing, why are you making the switch?

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:34 pm

RandyJ wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:I'm in the same boat. Current S9 APAP user with an PR System One REMStar 60 series Auto on the way from our hosts (cpap.com)

~UB
Bob,

Just curious ... If you don't mind sharing, why are you making the switch?
Not a problem, just please don't get upset if you don't agree
Its been 3 years since I've started and I've had a Resmed S8 Elite II CPAP and an APAP followed by an S9.

So why the change?

Well I’m due a new machine every 3 years and I hear that some people do better on a certain manufacturers algorithm than others. So I’m curious and want to try Respironics.
Whichever machine is best I'll use the other will make for nice up to date backup machine. My old S8 Auto is in the UK for when i travel there and for use by any of my family if they wish to self titrate etc. My S8 Elite II CPAP might end in deserving home of someone in need.

So therapy comes first. I'll use the machine that’s best for me. But also at the back of my mind is a dislike for Resmed. The fact they changed the quality of the Swift II pillows so they don't last as long. The quality of the equipment in the S9 line seems cheaper, the climate line hose cuff issue that i was told was going to be fixed a year ago and never did. But most of all the Resmed internet pricing policy. Two years ago when the S9 came out I got one with an H5i and climateline hose from cpap.com for just over $500. Now the same machine is double that price, nearer $1100. The new PR One Series 60 with identical features cost me just over $600, and it’s made in the USA

Here’s hoping I'll be Resmed free soon

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Bob,

That is perfectly reasonable, thanks for replying. I love my S9 Autoset, but I'm curious why people who have tried different machines have a preference for one over the other.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:BTW with the PR S1 machine...if you forget and leave the SD card out...you only lose flow graph or waveform. The other detailed data is stored on the machine for around 30 days before it starts being overwritten.
i forgot to put my card in the system one one night and thought i lost everything for that date and didn't think about it. the next night i put my card in and when i stuck it in the computer in the morning all information was there from that night and the night before. the card picked it up. not sure how long it stays on the machine. my machine was built in november i think.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:32 pm

greatunclebill wrote:i forgot to put my card in the system one one night and thought i lost everything for that date and didn't think about it. the next night i put my card in and when i stuck it in the computer in the morning all information was there from that night and the night before. the card picked it up. not sure how long it stays on the machine. my machine was built in november i think.
Yep, the PR S1 machines store the bulk of the data on the machine. I am thinking 30 days before the older data (like leak graphs and stuff) start being written over on the machine's storage. AHI, hours of use and pressure are stored in the machine much, much longer. The only data lost if the card is left out of the machine is wave form which is a rather large amount of data each night so it is not stored on the machine.
If you aren't looking for wave form it won't even be missed.

I suspect that the regular PR System One Auto CPAP provider manual will handle the bulk of any questions about the machine.
If someone needs it just drop me a note and I can get you the pdf file for the regular PR S1 APAP.
I was able to locate a Provider "Guide" for the new 60 Series APAP...it is smaller than the regular provider manual but it does describe the new features regarding the heated hose thing. If someone wants it just send me a private message with your private email address. It is a pdf file also and requires being sent as an attachment. I don't have a link for it.
It is just a simple basic "this is what this feature is" type of thing...they don't go into a huge amount of detail about it and just show the options available within the clinical setup menu.

Grenin

Post by Grenin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I am supposed to be getting the new 60 series Auto BiPap on Monday or Tuesday. Where can I get the Encore Basic software if sleepyhead is still not working?

Thanks,
Nathan

Grenin

Post by Grenin » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Since I wasn't logged in, looks like I need to repost.