i cant use the CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tarutan

i cant use the CPAP

Post by Tarutan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I just can't. I have had the machine for over a month now, I put it on everynight before I go to bed. I end up waking up 2-3 hours later to take the mask off before falling back to sleep. I just can't handle it

LSAT

Re: i cant use the CPAP

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

What do you think the problem is...machine noise...mask fit....leaks.....ATTITUDE? When you wake up after 2-3 hours...why do you take the mask off? Why not leave it on and see if you can fall back asleep?

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi - Many people take the mask off at different times when they're first starting out, and there may be lots of reasons for it, most of which can be fixed, whether it is from a badly fitted mask, or feeling of claustrophobia, badly adjust air pressures, etc. Give us more information and we can probably help you... lots of experienced and smart people here!

Your life depends on this...

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Tarutan wrote:I just can't. I have had the machine for over a month now, I put it on everynight before I go to bed. I end up waking up 2-3 hours later to take the mask off before falling back to sleep. I just can't handle it
That is NOT unusual. Just sleep as long as you can each nite. Keep a log if you can about what went well, what needs to improve, and how long you slept if you know - well you can get it off the machine or software.

It took me a month or more BEFORE I could sleep thru the nite with a mask on my face. NOW I won't go to sleep w/o it.

Giving in won't fix your problem.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Tarutan

Post by Tarutan » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 pm

I can't tell for sure exactly what it is. Its like I wake up and feel like I can't breathe. Im on 15cm of pressure and 10-12 is pretty comfortable but from 13-15 it is so high that my mouth just parachutes inside the mask if i completely relax it. I dont want to pinch my face alll night long so the air doesnt blow my mouth wide open. Its just not comfortable. But the biggest thing is once I fall asleep the high pressure wakes me up and makes me feel like Im being smothered.

The mask leaks when i inhale, only at 15cm, anything under that is fine but when it gets to 15cm the pressure is so high that even though i am inhaling it escapes through the sides so I have to strap the mask on tight, which is also annoying.
Last edited by Tarutan on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Tarutan wrote:But the biggest thing is once I fall asleep the high pressure wakes me up and makes me feel like Im being smothered.
It could be you are leaking. You will only know that if you check the software each day.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Get some nasal pillows, the resmed swift FX is what I have now. I really really like it. I started out with a F&P opus 360, I fought that dam thing for three weeks before I took it back. The resmed pillows work well, less leaks and they are really comfy.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 pm

There are few thing's Can,t can do! You need to sign up here. Fill in your profile IN TEXT, not Iclownie... Tell us your machine settings, with that info we may be able to help you, ifnyou are ready to make xpap work for you. Welcome, Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:43 pm

why don't you get and use sleepyhead to see what's going on when you do sleep? i think elite is compatible. if it is, you are blessed because so many people get cpap's that don't record any useable data.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Tarutan wrote:I just can't. I have had the machine for over a month now, I put it on everynight before I go to bed. I end up waking up 2-3 hours later to take the mask off before falling back to sleep. I just can't handle it

Comment,

I just erased my previous post b/c by mistake I thought that you have an S9 Autoset machine. During your sleep study you should have complained about the 15 cm pressure making you uncomfortable. If you did it then by AASM guidelines they should have put you on a BiPAP and titrate the pressures on it.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Tarutan wrote:I can't tell for sure exactly what it is. Its like I wake up and feel like I can't breathe. Im on 15cm of pressure and 10-12 is pretty comfortable but from 13-15 it is so high that my mouth just parachutes inside the mask if i completely relax it. I dont want to pinch my face alll night long so the air doesnt blow my mouth wide open. Its just not comfortable. But the biggest thing is once I fall asleep the high pressure wakes me up and makes me feel like Im being smothered.
The mask leaks when i inhale, only at 15cm, anything under that is fine but when it gets to 15cm the pressure is so high that even though i am inhaling it escapes through the sides so I have to strap the mask on tight, which is also annoying.
Tarutan, are you using your EPR? I know you said the problems occur when you inhale, but I wonder if some exhalation relief might help make breathing with the mask and pressure a little less uncomfortable. You mentioned the 'chipmunk cheeks' so I'm trying to think of how you can get some pressure relief without compromising your therapy.

I've wanted to give up every single night of the last six weeks since I started cpap, so I really understand -- but I do think the good and knowledgeable people here will have some ideas about things you might try. Hang in there, and stay here. Best wishes to you.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Tarutan wrote:I can't tell for sure exactly what it is. Its like I wake up and feel like I can't breathe. Im on 15cm of pressure and 10-12 is pretty comfortable but from 13-15 it is so high that my mouth just parachutes inside the mask if i completely relax it. I dont want to pinch my face alll night long so the air doesnt blow my mouth wide open. Its just not comfortable. But the biggest thing is once I fall asleep the high pressure wakes me up and makes me feel like Im being smothered.

If a pressure of 10-12 is "comfortable"...why don't you lower your pressure until you start to adjust to the therapy. Then slowly raise the pressure to 15 over a period of weeks.

Wonderbeastlett

Post by Wonderbeastlett » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:05 pm

I have the same mask and it was notorious for leaks with me! I pulled it so tight my nose bled the next morning. I ended up buying the gecko nasal pad. It has been the best thing for my therapy. I will be 3 weeks using the cpap tomorrow and I am starting to feel better, not just physically but emotionally.

Try taking steps with it. Wear your mask a little during the day, then try it with air. There's no handbook of OSA! Everyone adapts at their own pace. If after you've done everything you know to do and you can't get relief, look into other options. I think cpap is an amazing therapy but it's not everyone's first choice. I wouldn't throw it out the window yet because you do have options when it comes to Cpaps.

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I have several friends who have NEVER gotten totally adapted to the FF masks. So-- FWIW, you may want to attempt to transform yourself over to a nasal mask. Many people here have talked about using chin straps to aid in keeping their mouths closed, so that might be worth a try. I dont know how seriously you need the FF mask, but if you happen to be on the fringe, then I would make every attempt to do the switch. I have never myself used a FF mask, but I just know what my friends tell me and I can almost visualize the difficulties people have.

I am not trying to get a pissing contest started between the two groups. But I Am seriously trying to present to you another option for you to try --- just in the case that it may actually work.

sol

Post by sol » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Full face masks are notorious for leaks. Try a nasal mask with a chinstrap works much better
Check out janknitz blog "Taming the Mirage Quattro"
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/taming ... e-quattro/