Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
Suzjohnson
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am
Location: Dammeron Valley, UT

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by Suzjohnson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Oh yes, I got it wrong. You would want SP02 Review, v 1.2. Numbers are not my friends!

Suz

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: SleepyHead, CMS 50D+, Deluxe Chinstrap, began CPAP 4/21/2012
"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

lazer
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 pm
Location: Hermitage, PA
Contact:

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by lazer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:19 pm

cherylgrrl wrote:Thanks Pugsy and Archangle, I just ordered my recording pulse oximeter! I think it will be motivating to (hopefully) see some great oxygen saturation numbers as I move forward with my therapy, and something to discuss during my followup visit to pulmonologist. Thanks everybody for your very helpful advice!

- Cheryl
Glad to hear you got the right one and didn't follow my earlier link

I was doing some digging and found this link for some information on how to link the data in "SleepyHead" if you are interested: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... SleepyHead

Personally, I could see the CMS50D Plus being more to my liking than that "Zeo" thing. From my understanding if you learn what the graphs/data show you can actually figure out what stages of sleep your in from some of my reading up on this. Is that true?

Now I just have to save up the cash....

_________________
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: SleepyHead & Encore Basic Software & a Zeo
Image.....................................................ImagePress ESC if the animations BUG you!.....................................................Image

User avatar
DoriC
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:28 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by DoriC » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Cheryl and Welcome! I'd act pretty quickly on getting an exchange for a data capable machine, preferably the PR System One Auto or at the least the Pro. They are both data capable but the Auto allows you to use a range of pressures or a set pressure so it's like having 2 machines in one. You may have to get your Dr to write an RX for a specific machine if the DME gives you a hard time but it will be well worth the fight. I believe data capability is essential to successful therapy.

_________________
Mask: Mirage Quattro™ Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: 14/8.4,PS=4, UMFF, 02@2L,
"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

User avatar
cherylgrrl
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by cherylgrrl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Suzjohnson wrote:Good for you Cherylgrrl! You won't be sorry. If your computer doesn't do the small disk that comes with the oximeter, mine doesn't, go to the pulseoxstore.com. Look in the downloads section and you can find the correct software to download directly to your computer. I'll have to double check but I think if you are running Windows 7, you will want version 2.1. If this is wrong, I'll be right back with a correction. Faulty memory circuits.

Suz
Thanks Suz! I am running Windows 7. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is an improvement in my condition when I get the oximeter. Tonight will be night #5 with my CPAP! I've slept well each night, the only problem I've had is that my humidifier runs out of water in the wee hours when I have it cranked up to the maximum setting. I live in the Nevada desert, it's DRY here! So I have a 3 am fill-up appointment each morning!

My husband also wants to try to oximeter, he thinks he might have an issue too. (probably just sympathetic, but who knows?)

Best,
Cheryl

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Advance Nasal CPAP Mask with Improved Zzzephyr Seal
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Machine is S9 VPAP Adapt

User avatar
cherylgrrl
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by cherylgrrl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 pm

DoriC wrote:Hi Cheryl and Welcome! I'd act pretty quickly on getting an exchange for a data capable machine, preferably the PR System One Auto or at the least the Pro. They are both data capable but the Auto allows you to use a range of pressures or a set pressure so it's like having 2 machines in one. You may have to get your Dr to write an RX for a specific machine if the DME gives you a hard time but it will be well worth the fight. I believe data capability is essential to successful therapy.
Thanks Dori! Is the PR System One Auto considered a BiPAP or APAP? This is all new to me. I'm not sure how to go about getting the doctor to change the prescription. From what I was told, the only reason they would change it is if I can't tolerate the exhalation pressure and then they would prescribe a BiPAP... but honestly the C-Flex works really well for me. I'm not a great actress, I'm not sure I can pull it off! There are other good reasons to get an automatic machine, I think, besides getting the data feedback. I've put on weight the last 3 or 4 years and if my energy level returns I should be dropping it. That alone seems to change people's pressure requirements. It would be nice to have a machine that gives some information on this rather than having to go through another sleep study! But then, isn't that how they make their money???

- Cheryl

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Advance Nasal CPAP Mask with Improved Zzzephyr Seal
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Machine is S9 VPAP Adapt

User avatar
robysue
Posts: 7520
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by robysue » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 pm

cherylgrrl wrote:
DoriC wrote:Hi Cheryl and Welcome! I'd act pretty quickly on getting an exchange for a data capable machine, preferably the PR System One Auto or at the least the Pro. They are both data capable but the Auto allows you to use a range of pressures or a set pressure so it's like having 2 machines in one. You may have to get your Dr to write an RX for a specific machine if the DME gives you a hard time but it will be well worth the fight. I believe data capability is essential to successful therapy.
Thanks Dori! Is the PR System One Auto considered a BiPAP or APAP?
The System One Auto is an APAP and it is billed under the same exact code that your brick of a Plus is billed under.

The BiPAPs are the System One BiPAP Pro and the System One BiPAP Auto.
It would be nice to have a machine that gives some information on this rather than having to go through another sleep study! But then, isn't that how they make their money???
It's also nice to have data when you hit the inevitable bumps: It's important to know whether leaks are an issue if there's any chance you're a mouth breather; it's useful to know whether the AHI has gone down to less than 5 if you don't start feeling better in a few weeks or a couple of months; it useful to know whether a small decrease in pressure might be possible if you wind up fighting aerophagia night after night.

_________________
Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: PR System DreamStation and Humidifier. Max IPAP = 9, Min EPAP=4, Rise time setting = 3, minPS = 3, maxPS=5

User avatar
Suzjohnson
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am
Location: Dammeron Valley, UT

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:27 am

cherylgrrl wrote: Thanks Suz! I am running Windows 7. I'm looking forward to seeing if there is an improvement in my condition when I get the oximeter. Tonight will be night #5 with my CPAP! I've slept well each night, the only problem I've had is that my humidifier runs out of water in the wee hours when I have it cranked up to the maximum setting. I live in the Nevada desert, it's DRY here! So I have a 3 am fill-up appointment each morning!
My husband also wants to try to oximeter, he thinks he might have an issue too. (probably just sympathetic, but who knows?)
Best,
Cheryl
Hi Cheryl!
I'm so happy to hear you are sleeping well! That is a major hurdle for a lot of us. I'm in the dry, desert air of Utah (we're almost neighbors:-) so I know of what you speak! I was running out of water too so brought the humidifier setting down a full stop without any issues with dried out membranes. Is there any way you can increase the humidity in your bedroom? That helps a lot. My husband wanted to try on the mask w/air running and he wanted to try the oximeter over night. By then, he had succumbed to my nagging and gone in for a sleep study and, no shock to the long suffering wife of a heavy snorer, he has sleep apnea as well. His is worse than mine so I'm glad that I was able to nag him into submission.

And the best to you too!

Suz

_________________
Mask: AirFit™ P10 For Her Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: SleepyHead, CMS 50D+, Deluxe Chinstrap, began CPAP 4/21/2012
"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

User avatar
cherylgrrl
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by cherylgrrl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:47 am

An update... I have been able to upgrade my machine to a Respironics REMstar Auto A-Flex CPAP. The doctor actually wrote a prescription for an auto BiPAP but the supplier said my insurance wouldn't cover an auto BiPAP until I had tried and failed on a regular BiPAP. So I had the choice of auto CPAP or regular BiPAP and I decided it would be better to have the auto capability to see what pressure (hopefully, when I get software) I need. This machine, unlike my first "brick", does have data recording capability.

So, through the normal screen I can only see 7-day average and 30-day average AHI, and % major leaks. I have had no major leaks, but my AHI was 25 the first time I used it and about 14 the second night (7-day average of 17). Not good news! I wish I could compare it to my AHI on the old CPAP set at 11 (new machine set to 8-14 range), but of course it didn't have data capability!

So, I think I will need to acquire either the SleepyHead software or the $99 Encore Version 2.0 from Respironics. In my reading so far, it seems that Sleepyhead is difficult to use and interpet (uses British units only?) -- but Encore won't work on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC. I could use it on my husband's PC, but that is a lot less convenient. How crazy is it that a company is selling a commercial software product that won't work on current PCs?

So, I could use some advice about which way to go with software. As time goes on, my algebra skills will make it harder to track my daily AHI. And it would be good to see what pressures are being used. Also, how alarmed should I be at the 14 and 25 AHIs? Lots lower than my 107 at the sleep test, but still moderate sleep apnea! My DME is worthless, she has given me lots of 100% wrong information (so good I found this forum) and my doctor is a 100-mile round trip. I need to be able to get this information myself, so I can just talk to my doctor/nurse on the phone.

Also go the oxygen saturation measuring device -- works like a charm! Most of the time I'm around 95, but I have periods where I go as low as 74. I checked the device by having my husband wear it, and he looks great! My numbers were:

Basal SpO2 % = 95
Number of events under 90% = 29
Average low SP02 =
Minimum Sp02 = 75

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on my numbers, and advice on whether I should acquire Sleepyhead or the Respironics Encore software.

And thank you again for your help in getting me upgraded to a data recording machine!

- Cheryl

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Advance Nasal CPAP Mask with Improved Zzzephyr Seal
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Machine is S9 VPAP Adapt

HoseCrusher
Posts: 2744
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:22 am

I don't have specifics for you on software, but in general...

The goal is to have an AHI less than 5 and have your oxygen always above 90%.

_________________
Mask: Brevida™ Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: Machine is an AirSense 10 AutoSet For Her with Heated Humidifier.
SpO2 96+% and holding...

User avatar
Meecalii
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by Meecalii » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 pm

cherylgrrl wrote: So, I think I will need to acquire either the SleepyHead software or the $99 Encore Version 2.0 from Respironics. In my reading so far, it seems that Sleepyhead is difficult to use and interpet (uses British units only?) -- but Encore won't work on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC. I could use it on my husband's PC, but that is a lot less convenient. How crazy is it that a company is selling a commercial software product that won't work on current PCs?
If you look here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60739 it tells you about the software and where you can get.. Good luck

User avatar
robysue
Posts: 7520
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:30 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by robysue » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 pm

cherylgrrl wrote: So, I think I will need to acquire either the SleepyHead software or the $99 Encore Version 2.0 from Respironics. In my reading so far, it seems that Sleepyhead is difficult to use and interpet (uses British units only?) -- but Encore won't work on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC. I could use it on my husband's PC, but that is a lot less convenient. How crazy is it that a company is selling a commercial software product that won't work on current PCs?
Clearing up several misconceptions here:

1) SleepHead is neither difficult to use nor difficult to interpret. It also gives you the choice of using metric or "archaic" units for weight and height measurements. We Americans are the ones who stick with those archaic feet and pounds. The units for the medical stuff (pressure, leaks, flow rate, etc) is in metric in both Encore and Sleepyhead because the medical establishment uses metric for these things. As someone who regularly uses both programs, I'd have to say that SleepyHead seems much more user friendly than Encore.

2) Do you know exactly which System One APAP you now have? Is it the (older) Series 50 version with a cream colored panel around the LCD or is it the brand new Series 60 APAP with a heated hose option and a silver-gray panel around the LCD? The Series 60 machines are NOT compatible with SleepyHead (yet) and the are NOT compatible with Encore Viewer 2.0. For these machines, you need to download Encore Basic (for free). Pugsy can provide you with a link to Encore Basic if you PM her. Note that Encore Basic WILL work just fine on 64-bit machines. And it will also read the Series 50 machine's data as well as the Series 60 machines.
So, I could use some advice about which way to go with software.
My recommendation depends on whether the machine is a series 50 or a Series 60 machine:
  • For Series 50 System Ones, I'd recommend SleepyHead.
  • For Series 60 System Ones, I'd recommend Encore Basic.
As time goes on, my algebra skills will make it harder to track my daily AHI.
I'm a professional mathematician. And I can tell you algebra skills hav nothing to do with it. Once ther is more than two days of data, it is mathematically impossible to figure out what the over night AHI is based on the change in the 7-day AHI figure. For a detailed explanation of why this is so, check out my Understanding how the 7-day and 30-day average AHI's are computed. I use detailed examples to explain how the math works on these averages.
And it would be good to see what pressures are being used. Also, how alarmed should I be at the 14 and 25 AHIs? Lots lower than my 107 at the sleep test, but still moderate sleep apnea! My DME is worthless, she has given me lots of 100% wrong information (so good I found this forum) and my doctor is a 100-mile round trip. I need to be able to get this information myself, so I can just talk to my doctor/nurse on the phone.
I'd be alarmed if those numbers don't come down within a week or so. The other thing that software will help you see is what kind of events you are having and when those events happen. That is critical info for figuring out where to next.
Also go the oxygen saturation measuring device -- works like a charm! Most of the time I'm around 95, but I have periods where I go as low as 74. I checked the device by having my husband wear it, and he looks great! My numbers were:

Basal SpO2 % = 95
Number of events under 90% = 29
Average low SP02 =
Minimum Sp02 = 75

Thank you in advance for any thoughts on my numbers, and advice on whether I should acquire Sleepyhead or the Respironics Encore software.
Get the software that works with your machine. You need to see how closelt tied those O2 desats are to apnras and hypopneas and what kind of apneas they are

_________________
Machine: DreamStation BiPAP® Auto Machine
Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Additional Comments: PR System DreamStation and Humidifier. Max IPAP = 9, Min EPAP=4, Rise time setting = 3, minPS = 3, maxPS=5

User avatar
cherylgrrl
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by cherylgrrl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Thank you for a GREAT post, RobySue! Much food for thought. Looks like I have the "old" machine even though I just picked it up a few days ago! Well, no telling if I'll keep this one or not. I do have the option of trying a BiPAP and potentially after that an Auto BiPAP if I "fail" on the regular BiPAP. I notice you have a BiPAP while most of the people who post have a CPAP. I haven't been able to find much explanation of whether BiPAP is just plain better (according to the nurse at my sleep center) or if it is only useful in certain situations. I was having problems exhaling against the pressure of my CPAP (at 11) and the nurse recommended going to the Auto CPAP (8 - 14). Now I'm wondering if a BiPAP would be better...

One more question... if I get Sleepyhead software, do I need to buy the proprietary Respironics card reader or can I get any card reader?

Thanks so much!
Cheryl

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Advance Nasal CPAP Mask with Improved Zzzephyr Seal
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Machine is S9 VPAP Adapt

User avatar
Grand-PAP
Posts: 338
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am

Post by Grand-PAP » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 pm

cherylgrrl wrote:When I asked about others, I was told these were both new and other machines on their website were older and I wouldn't want them.
Hi cherylgrrl,

Welcome to the CPAP world and to this forum!

Oops! Sorry I missed the post about the replacement machine!

Regardless, best of luck with your therapy!
Last edited by Grand-PAP on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Pugsy
Posts: 65411
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:31 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Grand Pap....OP has just got a PR System One APAP..she just hasn't changed her equipment in her profile.
So it is a full data machine.
cherylgrrl wrote:if I get Sleepyhead software, do I need to buy the proprietary Respironics card reader or can I get any card reader?
If your computer has a slot for a SD card then you don't need anything else to use the software.
If your computer does not have a SD slot then you only need a generic card reader/adapter...one end to plug into a USB port on your computer and the other end to plug the SD card in. There is no need for proprietary card reader. Cheap generic will work.

_________________
Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

User avatar
cherylgrrl
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Given a Respironics REMstar Plus C-Flex

Post by cherylgrrl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Pugsy, so sorry, I didn't update my equipment! So many things to learn in this forum. My challenge today was learning how to upload a .jpg! Have updated my machine now in my CPP.

Very many thanks to everyone for their help. I wish I could pay you all instead of the medical professionals who are very parsimonious in the information they share, and (at least the sleep center nurse and equipment supplier) not even accurate in what they do share. I will see a real doctor on 7/30/12 and I hope to have a good body of data to share and discuss. My goal is to improve the insufficient therapeutic results I'm receiving and all you contributions are invaluable!

I'll be ordering that card reader and downloading Sleepyhead! I don't know what I would have done without this forum. Probably using a CPAP every night and living with an API of 25...

- Cheryl

_________________
Mask: SleepWeaver Advance Nasal CPAP Mask with Improved Zzzephyr Seal
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Machine is S9 VPAP Adapt