Backpack for CPAP Plane Carry On?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
john_dozer

Backpack for CPAP Plane Carry On?

Post by john_dozer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Anyone use a backpack as their CPAP carry on?

A few years ago I took a flight with a nice tough carry on for my CPAP. It had wheels and extendable handle. It was fine, except when I went to go to the bathroom. I was alone so I had to take it with me. I ended up having to choose between leaving it out of sight or setting it down on the bathroom floor. Just didn't like the idea of this equipment I would like to keep sterile as possible just an inch above the floor.

I was thinking a back pack would be a better solution as it would also allow me to tote around a second carry on much more easily.

Has anyone done the backpack thing? to you stiffen it up for protection or just pad it up? Any backpack recommendations?

zoocrewphoto

Re: Backpack for CPAP Plane Carry On?

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Doesn't your machine come with a carry bag? It is already designed to carry your machine safely, and will make it easy for security to look at it. The carry strap would allow it to hang on the back of the bathroom door.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

john_dozer

Post by john_dozer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:Doesn't your machine come with a carry bag? It is already designed to carry your machine safely, and will make it easy for security to look at it. The carry strap would allow it to hang on the back of the bathroom door.
It will barely fit the main unit, hose and power supply. No room for a mask unless I really cram. No room for extras like wipes. All soft padding and no rigidity. Not enough padding if some guy decided to chuck his 50 lbs. carry on on top of my cpap.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm

It fits my full face mask okay, and I could fit some wipes in there. Nothing else needs to go in the bag. Why would somebody put their bag on top of yours? Keep it under your seat.

You are going to have a much harder time getting it through security of you have to pack it in a backpack, unpack it for security, and then pack it again.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm not happy with the Resmed bag either, its shoddy and small. On my most recent trip I put the Resmed bag inside my backpack and it worked out fine.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 am

I travel frequently.

I put my humidifier in my checked baggage and pack the rest in my backpack. At security I treat the main machine like a laptop and remove it from the backpack before sending it through. I have the machine inside a gallon zip loc bag. No questions, no hassles, no problems.

I have a day pack from BrentHaven. It is reasonably padded and I just stuff everything in using the hose and mask for additional protection.

JayC

Post by JayC » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Lowepro 's various lines of camera bags is what I suggest...

I have and have used until recently the Compu-Day Pack from Lowepro. Plenty of padding (adjustable) and plenty of room for hose/mask/machine...etc.

Lowepro.com

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I have the same machine. I have a laptop bag with wheels. I attach my CPAP to the laptop handle.

In my CPAP bag I can fit, climateline hose, mask, power supply, extension cord, copy of my presription and medical information and my meds. I have wipes in a small zip lock bag. I have never had TSA even open my bag.

The Resmed bag is plenty large enough for me.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 pm

I use a standard laptop school type back pack(with padded space for laptop). In it went my laptop, cpap, humidfier, hose, masks, camera, meds, slippers all surrounded by a change of clothes for padding and my knitting. Just make sure your undies look nice. I also had a handbag with a book and sandwich and snacks. When reaching my seat I take out the knitting and slippers and the rest goes in back of the overhead bin.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

I prefer the standard cpap carry bag. Light, use the humidifier compartment for my mask, meds and extra pair of glasses. Never counted as a carry-on, either on domestic or international flights. I also carry backpack with my macbook, kindle or iPad, work files, change of clothes and other gear.

gertrude

Post by gertrude » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I recently used the standard Res Med bag and put in inside a backpack for a bicycle trip -- just fit, but it was double padding. Some great ideas on this thread. Thanks!

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:43 pm

john_dozer wrote:Has anyone done the backpack thing? to you stiffen it up for protection or just pad it up? Any backpack recommendations?
Couple yrs ago I found a nice travel bag at BJ's. It is a backpack with wheels and the handle. I thought it would be very versatile. Turns out I never used it as a backpack and prefer to use the wheels than to weigh me down when travelling.

What I do with this bag or the small carryon w/wheels is to pack my cpap * meds in the wheeled bag and strap my laptop on top of that with bungie cords. I have another bag with wheels for anything extra (clothes, etc.) and always carry extra bungies for the trip home (when you always have more than when you left) to strap another bag on top of this wheeled bag.

I always carry another collapsible bag inside my luggage to hold things purchased for the trip back home. So it ends up being 2 wheeled bags with bungies to hold another bag on top of each wheeled bag.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!