Quick question regarding SenceAwake

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DagoRed

Quick question regarding SenceAwake

Post by DagoRed » Fri May 25, 2012 10:57 am

Does this function detect arrousals and adjust pressure to help you remain asleep?

Why I ask is that for the last 2 days I have had this feature enabled and it shows it has acted 31 and 27 times each nite. Just curious if that means I was waking up each of those times?
Thanks in advance

Same day I started using this feature I also started using a new mattress, what a huge difference. I wake up with no hip pain now It is like moving from a rock pile to a medium firm cloud

Bob

chunkyfrog

Re: Quick question regarding SenceAwake

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 am

Welcome, DagoRed; Not familiar with this feature, but I believe it hase been mentioned before.
Glad to hear you are doing well with the hose.

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Fri May 25, 2012 12:00 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Welcome, DagoRed; Not familiar with this feature, but I believe it hase been mentioned before.
Glad to hear you are doing well with the hose.

Thanks for the support Chunkyfrog

I have searched all over the interweb for an answer and havnt found it yet. I am hoping its the same as some of the other machines as they see an arrousal. On my graphs it plots them, but dosnt seem to have dropped the pressure. In a few I will post the graphs. Kinda busy now with the long weekend coming and all. If it is a form of arrousal tracking then I am waking up every 20-30 minutes while I sleep.

I have made an appt with my DME to get a diff mask as I cant believe how sore my nostrils are. Never in my life did I expect to complain about sore nostrils. Babysteps babysteps......... And ideas for a mask that will allow me to keep my beard yet wont make me feel like a pipe reamer is working in my nostrils? I am typically a mouth breather. With my nasal pillows I dont have alot of problems with opening my mouth and breathing is comfy. I honestly cant tell I have pressure after a few minutes. I am going to try an arthritus creme (non petroleum based) with aloe tonite to see if that will help me till I get the new mask.

Thanks again.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm

Check with posts by nohardmask.
He and some others use the Sleepweaver cloth mask.
Not everyone can use it; I have yet to try one.
Sounds very tempting.
(not sure if 'one size fits all' fits . . . me)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 25, 2012 12:16 pm

As per the sensawake feature, apparently F/P has had it for some time:
http://www.sleepdt.com/fisher-paykel-he ... echnology/
I don't know when the machine featured in the link was introduced, but it's not the new one.

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Fri May 25, 2012 12:40 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:As per the sensawake feature, apparently F/P has had it for some time:
http://www.sleepdt.com/fisher-paykel-he ... echnology/
I don't know when the machine featured in the link was introduced, but it's not the new one.

Awesome chunky
Thank you very much.

here is one graph of the first nite with it on. You can see what I am talking about.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 pm

For the sore nostrils get some Lansinoh ointment (baby aisle at Walmart because breast feeding mom's use it). It really does help. Also nasal pillows should not cause anything more than minor tenderness of the nostrils and if they are causing pain, redness or abrasions then either the size of the pillow is incorrect or the straps are too tight or both.

Most common problem with nasal pillow masks and people complaining of discomfort is they they tightening things way too tight.

There are some videos on how to fit nasal pillow masks.
http://www.cpaplibrary.com/mask-education

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri May 25, 2012 5:04 pm

If you do a Search for Sensawake here I'm pretty sure you'll get threads relating to it.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 pm

I used the F&P Icon auto for around 9 months. Ive just recently switched to the S9 auto. I never really understood the SenseAwake feature. I never felt like it performed like it was supposed to. In theory, it is supposed to reduce your pressure when it 'senses' that your about to wake up. I always found that my pressure was mostly on the upper end whenever i woke and i found this really annoying. Either the machine was faulty or the feature wasn't detecting my arousals. I definately had it activated on the machine and the data was showing that SenseAwake was working.

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 pm

lullaby wrote:I used the F&P Icon auto for around 9 months. Ive just recently switched to the S9 auto. I never really understood the SenseAwake feature. I never felt like it performed like it was supposed to. In theory, it is supposed to reduce your pressure when it 'senses' that your about to wake up. I always found that my pressure was mostly on the upper end whenever i woke and i found this really annoying. Either the machine was faulty or the feature wasn't detecting my arousals. I definately had it activated on the machine and the data was showing that SenseAwake was working.

Lullaby,
Did it show a huge amount of senceawake markers on your data sets?
I wonder if it is a reliable indicator of arousals. ie what was your normal amount per night?

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Fri May 25, 2012 9:53 pm

DoriC wrote:If you do a Search for Sensawake here I'm pretty sure you'll get threads relating to it.
DoriC,
I have and found lots of threads, but nothing that gets into the nuts and bolts of what it does. I am seeing them happen 20-30 times a nite. If I am partially awakening during these times then I am sure that I am not getting good sleep at all. I have a Dr's appt on june 4th. When I go in I would like to have some things to show the Dr that didnt manifest during my sleep study. Thanks again for the reply

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 am

Not a lot of F & P users here so even less discussion about its features. I don't remember much discussion about the Sensawake feature (if any discussion). I bet F & P talks it up about how accurate it might be

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:Not a lot of F & P users here so even less discussion about its features. I don't remember much discussion about the Sensawake feature (if any discussion). I bet F & P talks it up about how accurate it might be
Picking up on what Pugsy said and hoping not to confuse you, is it possible for you to exchange your machine for either an S9 Autoset or PRSystemOneAuto? I don't know exactly how to jump through the hoops but maybe someone can help with that. I know you have some options if you're within the 30day period. These are the machines that are most familiar to the users here and where you'll get the most help.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

CatButler

Post by CatButler » Sun May 27, 2012 12:34 pm

I have the ICON Auto too and this thread got me to go back and take a look. It turns out a lot of my apneas start occuring about an hour and a half before I get up, where I am usually dozing lightly and in and out of sleep. I turned off SenseAwake last night and had my 2nd best night ever, It may have been an outlier because I only used the machine for 6:30 hours because I woke up feel rested at about 5:30 hours and took off the mask to try Falcon sleeping position for about a 30 minutes.

DagoRed

Post by DagoRed » Sun May 27, 2012 2:07 pm

DoriC wrote:
Pugsy wrote:Not a lot of F & P users here so even less discussion about its features. I don't remember much discussion about the Sensawake feature (if any discussion). I bet F & P talks it up about how accurate it might be
Picking up on what Pugsy said and hoping not to confuse you, is it possible for you to exchange your machine for either an S9 Autoset or PRSystemOneAuto? I don't know exactly how to jump through the hoops but maybe someone can help with that. I know you have some options if you're within the 30day period. These are the machines that are most familiar to the users here and where you'll get the most help.

Thats whats on my list to do this next week. Going to go for the S9 Autoset, it seems to be the most versitile and tons of support for it. I tripped the senseawake trigger again last nite, 38 times. Hard to get a good nites sleep when I start to wake up every 20 minutes The senseawake indicators are steady, the H events are in regular clusters. More info for my Dr.