Restless Legs and Apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jolard

Restless Legs and Apnea

Post by Jolard » Wed May 23, 2012 10:23 am

Anyone else diagnosed with Restless Legs as well as the Apnea? My doctor said that I had really bad leg movements all night in addition to my high rate of apnea. He prescribed me gabapentin (Neurontin) to treat the legs, and a CPAP for the apnea.

He suggested I take the gabapentin (Neurontin) daily, but that it was up to me if I wanted to. Doing some research online, it looks like this drug can have some bad side effects and can be addictive, so I am nervous about taking it too often.

Anyone else using the same drug? Something different to treat your legs? Kind of want to understand what other people are doing and if there are good alternatives.

Henry Jr

Re: Restless Legs and Apnea

Post by Henry Jr » Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Restless legs; not exactly. But I used to toss and turn violently; all night according to my wife. After begining ASV I have settled down completely. I don't know if it's a "benefit" of succesful treatment or just the fact that I'm "tied" to the machine.
She doesn't care... She's happy that I'm not rattling the drywall with my snoring and bouncing all about the bed. Can't imagine why she put up with it for 25 years.

Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón.
It's often a man's mouth that breaks his nose.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Wed May 23, 2012 1:02 pm

Jolard wrote:Anyone else diagnosed with Restless Legs as well as the Apnea? My doctor said that I had really bad leg movements all night in addition to my high rate of apnea. He prescribed me gabapentin (Neurontin) to treat the legs, and a CPAP for the apnea.

He suggested I take the gabapentin (Neurontin) daily, but that it was up to me if I wanted to. Doing some research online, it looks like this drug can have some bad side effects and can be addictive, so I am nervous about taking it too often.

Anyone else using the same drug? Something different to treat your legs? Kind of want to understand what other people are doing and if there are good alternatives.
Jolard,
I just got a complete sleep study and also was diagnosed with RLS, OSA, and Bruxing. I'd like to see what others say about the RX, cause my first try, Carb-Levo did not agree with me, and I just started on ReQuip.
You're right, the drugs have a huge laundry list of side effects; many times the very symptom one is trying to treat. It SEEMS to be a dart game to find something that works. Good Luck!

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

Jolard

Post by Jolard » Wed May 23, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I have had restless legs for years, but generally only a little before bedtime maybe once a month. But in both of my sleep studies my legs were kicking and twitching like I was running a marathon. The doctor said it isn't as dangerous as the apnea, but that it does effect sleep quality, so should be treated.

As I mentioned above though, the medication he gave me is generally prescribed for treating epileptic seizures. It is often prescribed off label for RLS though. Hoping someone else had experience with the medication. Probably should go find a restless legs forum too, lol.

By the way, just wanted to thank all the contributors. I have learned a lot of good info here.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed May 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Jolard wrote:Anyone else diagnosed with Restless Legs as well as the Apnea? My doctor said that I had really bad leg movements all night in addition to my high rate of apnea. He prescribed me gabapentin (Neurontin) to treat the legs, and a CPAP for the apnea.

Someone had a long post recently about gabapentin and RLS. Use the search function and you can probably find it.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed May 23, 2012 5:29 pm

my wife has an apap like mine for her sleep apnea and takes 2 mg of ropinirole for her restless legs. it's a low dose parkinsons drug.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 am

Did your study specifically mention your movements as being Periodic Limb Movement Disorder? I have RLS and PLMD and have run the gamut of non narcotic meds. Did your doctor order iron studies? Some information recommends a ferritin level above 50 for those with limb movements issues. Some of the dopamine meds are known to cause augmentation in some people, and I've read that having the ferritin level up before starting the med lessens the liklihood of augmentation. Also, it wouldn't hurt to check your magnesium and vitamin D levels. I take vitamins and supplements, and use a TENS unit before bedtime and it makes my legs much calmer during the night.

Papit

Post by Papit » Thu May 24, 2012 7:51 am

I have had a good therapeutic experience with RLS under the guidance of two docs. I hope this works as well for you as it has for me.

One doc recommended 2,000mg/day Vitamin D (even though my blood levels for it were not out of range) and 65mg Iron (I was at the low end of, but within, the normal range of blood components that they look at for anemia). I have been taking both for about 3 or 4 months now.

Another doc, my sleep doc, additionally prescribed Mirapex .125mg, evidently it's the standard treatment for RLS. The generic for it is Pramipexole DI-HCL 0.125. I have been using that in addition to the Vit. D and Iron supplements. The bottle says to take 1 to 3 Mirapex tablets at bedtime. At first I took 3 whenever I had RSL. I stopped doing that and instead have been taking 1 every night an hour before bed. (Later, if needed, I will go to 2 per night or 3.) Folks, it sure seems to be working for me, either alone or in combination with the Vitamin D and Iron, both of which are monitored with blood tests to assure that the blood levels for them remain within their respective normal ranges. If I continue to have several months of continued success like I have had, I may reduce or stop taking one or two of these three things and see if we can identify exactly which one is the "hero" here. But the hero may turn out to be a combination of two or all three of them. In any case I'm delighted to be seeing no adverse side effects and, as mentioned, have had only one RLS occurrence since going on the one a day Mirapex regiment along with the daily Vit. D and Iron.

I had the RLS condition for years, on and off. It can be very nasty to one's ability to get to sleep and make it virtually impossible without effective sleeping pills. It's almost unbelievable to apparently have finally found a way out of it. Good luck to you. Let us know how you do.

Last edited by Papit on Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 am

Jolard,

If you haven't found it yet, review V's thread and links here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69730&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p646025
You'll find some good info regarding the treatment of RLS.

Good luck,

Jay

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 am

My doctor said I have RLS after my sleep study and I have felt the inclination to move them as I'm falling asleep. I tried tweaking my medications and found that my leg movement appears to have been caused by taking my statin and arthritis drug at night. Now I take my arthritis drug (meloxican) in the early afternoon and my statin at bed time and I don't seem to have the RLS any more. Check out your medications first to rule out any cause/effect from them. I don't have any idea why the meloxican/statin mix caused the RLS but by separating them, I "fixed" my problem.

ccgirl

Post by ccgirl » Fri May 25, 2012 11:20 pm

I was diagnosed with RLS as well as mild sleep apnea about 8 years ago. At that time I was prescribed klonopin (.5mg). It works fairly well for me. I do tend to have low iron levels and probably should get them checked as it has been awhile. A few years ago I tried the drug used for Parkinsons and it was not helpful at all. Klonopin is addictive but at such a low dosage ... oh well. If I forget to get it refilled, I am all over the bed. I think I will also try the Vit. D and iron.

Papit

Post by Papit » Sat May 26, 2012 3:13 pm

And ask your doc to try you on Mirapex. I understand it's now the drug of choice and I've been having good luck with it. Sleep well.

need2snooze

Post by need2snooze » Sat May 26, 2012 7:26 pm

I also was diagnosed with RLS & PLMD, along with Moderate Sleep Apnea 4 years ago. I was already taking 2,000 mg. of Vit. D, along with Calcium, for osteoporosis, and didn't noticed any improvement for the RLS. Early on, my sleep dr. gave me a prescription for something for the RLS, but after one night, I just decided I didn't need another medication to take. Like another poster, I also have a TENS unit that I use as needed in the evenings. It helps. I purchased mine online for about $35.

Maggie2

Post by Maggie2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm

I am thankful to have found this forum and to find others who have the same problems as I, especially Papit, who seems to be writing my life story. I have had RLS for what seems my entire life. It is an affliction that cannot be described to someone who has never experienced the feeling. Six weeks ago after a sleep study, a doctor finally took me seriously and prescribed Mirapex. I don't have the words to describe how heavenly it is to lie in bed quietly and comfortably, still sleepless, but now comfortable. I can sit through a boring conversation or TV show, and because I don't spend the night walking around, I also have more energy for daytime activities.
I also was diagnosed with OAS and am currently awaiting my appointment at the Sleep Group to be fitted with a CPAP and mask, etc. I do have mixed feelings about this, because on the one hand I am feeling so much better with the extra sleep afforded by elimination of my restless legs, yet on the other hand the study showed that my high blood pressure and other health issues were a result of my apnea.
Sleeping with a mask for the rest of my life is not something that I can see myself doing without a lot of problems, and had come close to considering refusing treatment but after spending this evening with this forum - maybe it is possible?
Are any of you good people in the "senior" bracket? I am a 69 year old female and I would love to hear if there are any others who have embarked on this adventure at a late point in life.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:42 am

Maggie2, welcome to the forum. I see you've been reading through prior threads on the subject like this one, and I'm glad you've found some posts that are helpful. I have been dealing with RLS/PLMD since the late 90's, at least that was when I was finally diagnosed. The OSA diagnosis came in 2005. I am now 61. I've used several of the meds for my legs with degrees of relief for periods of time. These days I try to keep my ferritin level up, take a few supplements, and use a TENS Unit at bedtime to help calm my legs enough to sleep. The daytime RLS symptoms are significantly more tolerable - not sure whether to credit the supplements with that or if there is a carry-over effect from the TENS use. I thought I wouldn't be able to use CPAP either, even quit after a few months for a bit, but now I wouldn't dream of sleeping without it. Failure wasn't an option - my health had declined too far for me to reject anything that could give me my life back. Commiting to treating my sleep apnea has been one of those life decisions I can say I've never regretted. Hope things continue to fall into place for you.