Anyone tried provent?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matty332

Anyone tried provent?

Post by Matty332 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 am

G'day,

Can someone please explain provent? Does it really work? Does it work on severe apnea or just mild OSA? Obviously it doesn't work on centrals right? Have you tried it?

I don't really understand it but if it does really work what a great idea! I did notice that it is designed to make money though - 550 aussie bucks for 180 days worth! Couldn't you just buy a non disposable one for the one low price? Anyways please advise - this i interesting..

Goofproof

Re: Anyone tried provent?

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:23 am

Matty332 wrote:G'day,

Can someone please explain provent? Does it really work? Does it work on severe apnea or just mild OSA? Obviously it doesn't work on centrals right? Have you tried it?

I don't really understand it but if it does really work what a great idea! I did notice that it is designed to make money though - 550 aussie bucks for 180 days worth! Couldn't you just buy a non disposable one for the one low price? Anyways please advise - this i interesting..
Seeing as how there are two threads on this page alone, I'd say yes. Looking at them might provide a answer, as far as helping or working I don't know. I do know someone is always trying to make big $$$, from prople willing to want a easyier way out. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Matty332

Post by Matty332 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks for pointing that out I didn't see it. I tend to post without searching but will change that habit now. I guess i just like interacting with people but I suppose I can interact by posting a post in someone else's thread too! Sorry about that and thanks for the info!

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:25 am

Oh, another Canberran ....

I'm really interested in too, finding out about Provent. I think it would be worth trying ... though expensive. With our Aussie dollar, we might be better off having it sent over from the U.S.

49er

Post by 49er » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:03 am

Seeing as how there are two threads on this page alone, I'd say yes. Looking at them might provide a answer, as far as helping or working I don't know. I do know someone is always trying to make big $$$, from prople willing to want a easyier way out. Jim
Why not just say, Matt, as an FYI, here are the two threads on Provent you might have missed? Even provide him the direct links. I guess you are perfect and don't make mistakes.

As far as people wanting an easier way out, you have no right to say that as you don't know what people have gone through to try to make cpap work other than what they post. If I didn't have nasal congestion, I would have tried it in a heartbeat.

49er

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm

I so agree with you 49er! It would seem many people here are very adverse to new ideas or even people raising the topic of alternatives to CPAP. CPAP is obviously an excellent treatment for some people ... but not everyone and you can't blame people for looking into various options that may be available and asking others' opinions on such options. They're not looking for criticism and confrontation!!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Provent only reduces the AHI by half for most people and seems to work best for mild to medium severity.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

debtheveg

Post by debtheveg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Well Blackspinner, that's better than nothing if a person is not using any therapy.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:26 pm

49er wrote:

Why not just say, Matt, as an FYI, here are the two threads on Provent you might have missed? Even provide him the direct links. I guess you are perfect and don't make mistakes.

As far as people wanting an easier way out, you have no right to say that as you don't know what people have gone through to try to make cpap work other than what they post. If I didn't have nasal congestion, I would have tried it in a heartbeat.

49er

Given this is a Sleep Apnea sight, and considering the number of people here that have Sleep Apnea, it's probably safe to think someone here has tried every way possible to get by treating Sleep Apnea, the ones that work, and the ones that don't, some have probably tried Mouse Milk. If they made a cheap pill with no side effects, we would all be lining up for it.

A product that helps but doesn't get my apnea to normal level is more than useless, it just prolongs lack of effective treatment, almost as bad as a XPAP sitting in your closet.

I'm not going to address this to Matt, but here is the links for the two current posts on Provent.

viewtopic/t65286/Provent-therapycom.html

viewtopic/t76822/Provent-therapy-advice.html

Welcome to the family, Matty332, a lively bunch for sure. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

NateS

Post by NateS » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:18 am

MOUSE MILK $10,000 a quart (Dec, 1947)

Modern Mechanix

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2007/12/ ... 0-a-quart/

Nate

Last edited by NateS on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Central sleep apnea AHI 62.6 pre-VPAP. Now 0 to 1.3
Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:48 am

Provent, being pocket size, and apparently inexpensive to boot,
has automatic appeal to those suffering from CPAP sticker shock.
However, if one 'does the math', your cpap machine amortizes itself over a few months-
-especially based on the relative health benefit, compared to Provent--at its best.
Provent, being non-reusable, is actually MORE expensive in the long run (and insurance won't help)-
-and IMPARTIAL studies do not support the treatment except in a very few instances.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm

debtheveg wrote:I so agree with you 49er! It would seem many people here are very adverse to new ideas or even people raising the topic of alternatives to CPAP. CPAP is obviously an excellent treatment for some people ... but not everyone and you can't blame people for looking into various options that may be available and asking others' opinions on such options. They're not looking for criticism and confrontation!!
I also object to new threads asking about a product when there are two recent threads covering the product in detail and some very long older threads. It has nothing to do with objections to CPAP alternatives. It has to do with clutter.

If you have a question that hasn't been covered post it in one of the existing threads. The forum is cluttered enough as it is.

Many forums have instructions to research before asking questions.

But I am not suggesting a higher level of moderation. Overall this forum is one of the best.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Provent is nothing new. It was available when I first started therapy 3 years ago.
We hear about it a little more now but not hugely so. I would have thought if it were so great we would hear more actual success stories by now. From what I have read...50 % of the people have some measure of "success" and of those 50% they term a 50% reduction in events as a "success".
My AHI was 53 in REM sleep and Oxygen levels went to 73%...and when I had an AHI of 8 when first starting therapy I felt like total crap. So 50% reduction for me would be unacceptable even if I was in the 50% group that had "success".
Besides...it sounds like exhaling against the darn things is worse than exhaling against cpap pressure.

Though it is better than nothing and I suppose someone could try it with their pulse oximeters and see what goes on with the oxygen levels though no desats doesn't necessarily mean zero stress on the body.

It doesn't appeal to me but that means nothing. I think a few forum members and considering trying them and I would really be interested in their thoughts instead of the ones provided by the company.
While I am usually pretty adventurous with my experiments...I haven't put trying the Provent on my list of things I want to try.

I can sure see where someone having huge difficulties with the machine and mask might though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.