Is there a way to block posts from certain individuals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ems

Re: Is there a way to block posts from certain individuals?

Post by ems » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:08 pm

NateS wrote:Those who criticize and ridicule someone for asking if it is possible for them to customize their individual viewing experience on the forum have got it backwards. They are the ones with a "control problem." They are the ones who want to control the individual user who asks if there is an option to individually view and check the board in a different manner. Why not just say "No - other forums on other subjects may have that flexibility you are asking for but this one doesn't."

You are the ones with a control problem, folks. Why you care, to the extent of ridicule, how other people would like to view the board is a mystery to me. Not only to the extent of ridicule, but even to go so far as to show others the door by suggesting they are unwelcome here and should go elsewhere!

I thought I read in one or more comments above, in a very romantic description of the "earlier days" of the forum, that the whole theme of this forum was to be kind and polite and caring to each other, and to recognize that different folks have different needs and different ways of giving and accepting advice, care and nurturing.

Ridiculing people who ask about the existence of alternative viewing options is not consistent with that theme.

Respectfully,

Nate

I know I said I wouldn't add more to this thread... but... PLUS 1!

Respectfully, ems
Last edited by ems on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 pm

NateS wrote:Those who criticize and ridicule someone for asking if it is possible for them to customize their individual viewing experience on the forum have got it backwards. They are the ones with a "control problem." They are the ones who want to control the individual user who asks if there is an option to individually view and check the board in a different manner. Why not just say "No - other forums on other subjects may have that flexibility you are asking for but this one doesn't."

You are the ones with a control problem, folks. Why you care, to the extent of ridicule, how other people would like to view the board is a mystery to me. Not only to the extent of ridicule, but even to go so far as to show others the door by suggesting they are unwelcome here and should go elsewhere!

I thought I read in one or more comments above, in a very romantic description of the "earlier days" of the forum, that the whole theme of this forum was to be kind and polite and caring to each other, and to recognize that different folks have different needs and different ways of giving and accepting advice, care and nurturing.

Ridiculing people who ask about the existence of alternative viewing options is not consistent with that theme.

Respectfully,

Nate
Well and gently said, Nate - thank you.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:40 pm

At the risk of people misunderstanding my english yet again I will try to clear up what was meant by this -
GumbyCT wrote:Edit: Others just don't seem to understand that a "forum" is NOT their very own "private" domain but apparently wish it was.

poor jonny
But first we need to understand what I meant by the word "Forum"
  • an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.
[underling is mine]

Meaning this forum is a place for public discussion which is NOT ruled or moderated by them, the OP in this case.

The fact that this statement was completely misunderstood I think proves my point.

To be clear: I will also include the meaning of "Domain" -
  • the territory governed by a single ruler or government; realm.
The domain - in this case cpaptalk.com - in not owned governed, or ruled by any of the above posters. myself included.

Now don't ask me how soo many others got what they did out of the words I posted. I assume it was my words? But in any case, IF it was, what I meant was that a forum is a public place where people come to share thoughts, ideas, problems, etc., looking for solutions. But some think it is their own private repository. I did not use the words change or changing forum, did I? So don't ask me where those words came from.

I apologize for thinking everyone would either understand or ask questions BEFORE making leaps to wrong conclusions. Assuming is not something I do often because I am so often wrong when I do.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forum?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/domain?s=t

HTH clear the air AND helps someone somewhere

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:12 pm

WearyOne wrote:I understand that yes, it's a simple thing to just skip over the threads marked OT or the ones not marked OT that obviously are. But what gets me with this discussion is the rudeness displayed at a simple question, and that it's apparent that only a few posters really understand what the OP is asking. He is NOT asking to change the forums/thread/posts for everyone...he's asking if there is a way to change something FOR HIM ONLY, how HE views it, settings for this forum that could do something different FOR HIM ONLY. If there is a statement IN THIS THREAD where he states that he wants to change it for everybody please share, as I didn't see it. (And in this thread he's also not naming the people he wants to block.)

If there was just a setting on his Computer, to by-pass OT posts on his screen, and maybe a, audible command, He could say something like, "Scotty, Make It so", and it would scroll to the next post, as long as it doesn't drain too much power from the warpness cells.
Jim

Luckily mt Microsoft Track ball, comes with a scroll wheel, and my brain and hand can control it, so I no longer have to use white out on mt screens, but I do miss the fumes. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire