Makeshift Anti-asphyxiation Valve for Pillows, Sort of

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
poppi2

Makeshift Anti-asphyxiation Valve for Pillows, Sort of

Post by poppi2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:53 pm

[Edit 7/13: Switched photo links from Google to Photobucket]

Well, as you can guess by the title, I am one of those “dare-devil” mouth tapers.

In the past year, I have done much reading on this site and learned a lot. Yes, I paid attention to Arch when he warned of the dangers of taping. I believe the dangers of asphyxiation and aspiration pneumonia are real.

I am one of those patients who tried the FFM (Mirage Quattro) and the Innomed Hybrid, both with and without a chin strap. None of those combinations worked for me. I lost a lot of sleep in six months of frustration with leaks and painfully dry mouth. Basically, it boiled down to whether I want to have cpap treatment, or not. Right now, I’ve chosen to tape. It is a personal decision, and one that I carefully made.

I really like this quote from an old post by Babette:
Babette wrote:CAVEAT - If you are elderly, infirm, bedridden, under the age of 18, cannot hold a day job, do not mow your own lawn, have had your driver's license taken away, or have numerous DUI's on your record - DO NOT TAPE YOUR MOUTH SHUT. You're probably not a good candidate for saving yourself from asphyxiating on your own vomit.
At this point in my treatment, my main worry is the rebreathing of exhaled air in the event of power or machine failure. I’ve ordered a 120 db power failure alarm which should give my wife a heart attack when it sounds. I may have over-bought since a smoke detector's sound is ~85 db @ 3 meters. It will not be mounted by my bed. edit: I over-bought. The sound is painful.

I’ve now taken care of waking up due to a power failure. But I am still worried about rebreathing following a machine failure? I might not wake up. Yes, I know the room gets quiet. Did I mention that I've lost a lot of hearing? I don't sleep with my hearing aids. I also know that breathing is harder while attached to a machine. But I don't want to risk not waking up.

With no positive air pressure and a 6 foot hose, rebreathing is a real possibility. Let us look at the volumes involved. I get a little oxygen exchange through the pillow vent holes, but most of my exhaled air goes into the 6 foot hose and the hose on my Swift NT. I measured the volume of the 6 foot hose as ~460ml and the volume of the Swift NT hose as ~80ml for a total of 540ml in the hose chain. Sleepyhead indicates that my tidal volume (i.e., the volume of air inhaled and exhaled at each breath) is about 500ml. Clearly when positive pressure is lost I won’t get any fresh air from the hose chain. I need to reduce the total volume (length of tubing).

[BTW, the CPAPTalk forum is great. There is a lot of useful info in the archives.]

In a long and very heated thread about taping that started last October viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70303&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 75#p653909, I found this very readable paper: Potential Rebreathing After Continuous Positive Airway Pressure Failure During Sleep
http://chestjournal.chestpubs.org/conte ... 1/196.full.

This paper provided a simple method for reducing the amount of rebreathing:
"Conclusions: Common CPAP systems run a risk of inducing rebreathing in case of failure. This risk could be easily avoided by including a passive valve in the apparatus."

Moresleep's post @ (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70303&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... 75#p653909)
started a discussion about the Respironics pressure valve: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... chine.html “This valve is a spring-loaded valve that helps prevent the backflow of oxygen or water from the patient circuit in to the CPAP machine when the CPAP machine is turned off [or failed]. Any backflow passes out of the circuit through the vents. When the CPAP machine is operating, the valve allows air to flow through the patient circuit. The vents are sealed to prevent flow out of the circuit. The minimum operating pressure is 2 cm H2O.”

I don't use oxygen or experience rainout, but I thought the Respironics pressure valve could serve as a workable anti-asphyxiation valve. I bought one and found that I could breathe through it with no problems. There was no sensation of trying to breathe through a straw.

To minimize rebreathing, the valve needs to be as close to the mask as possible, i.e., with the least amount of tubing between the mask and the valve. It is not perfect, but in my design I chose to attach the pressure valve directly to the Swift LT hose.

I made the connection using clear 1” heat shrink tubing, a “polyolefin heat shrink tubing”. The shrink tubing that I used has a 2:1 shrink ratio. I bought it at a local computer / ham radio hobbyist shop. Fry’s might carry it, as well as Radio Shack. I paid $3.10 for a four foot length. I cut a 2" piece of shrink tubing to cover the 22mm male connectors on both the pressure valve and Swift LT hose. I used a hair dryer laying on a flat surface to blow hot air for about five minutes. It took a long time, maybe longer than five. You want the tubing to tightly shrink around the surfaces.

Note that this is not a permanent connection. Just a little cut with a razor and the shrink tubing comes off. Here is an out-of-focus photo of that connection:

Figure A: Closeup of joint between mask hose (left) and pressure valve (right)

The inlet side of the pressure valve is a 22 mm female connector. I was attaching a 6 foot hose to the inlet side, so I bought a universal hose connector (male-to-male adapter) https://www.cpap.com/productpage/univer ... ector.html.

Figure B: Closeup of Components (with mask hose and PV already joined)

My tubing volume from the mask to outside air via the pressure valve is reduced from ~540ml to ~80ml by this setup. As I said, it is not perfect, but it does greatly reduce the amount of rebreathing if I lose machine pressure. It does add weight to my mask, however, my normal mask configuration is with the hose attached to the top of the harness.http://c0009431.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... -front.jpg

Here is a photo of the final setup:

Figure C: Completed Unit

I've slept with this setup for about a week and have seen no change in my leak rate. My AHI is about the same, <2. The extra weight has not been a problem. I was worried that it would move the pillow while sleeping. Right now, I am trying to cut down an old six foot hose to connect between the mask hose and pressure valve. Of course, the problem is inserting the shorter hose into the rubber connector. I know I can buy an 18 inch hose, but that would add about 110ml of volume. (Yes, I did buy one and just measured it.)

Since I had the distilled water jug and a 1000ml beaker handy, I measured the dead space in my Mirage Quattro. I measured 140ml, minus my nose. My nose is not a 60ml nose. I concluded that my setup with the Responics pressure valve attached on the end of the Swift LT hose is the same as my Quattro with the anti-asphyxiation valve attached at the elbow. So in the event of a power or machine failure, I think I will suffocate at the same rate with either mask.

So there you have it. I am happy with it. I hope someone else finds it useful.

I would like to eliminate the taping and will continue to try different things. In the last month, I tried sleeping with no tape to see if I had "trained my lips and tongue" to stay put. Ha! Wishful thinking.

Earl

Last edited by poppi2 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HoseCrusher

Re: Makeshift Anti-asphyxiation Valve for Pillows, Sort of

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:43 pm

That looks great.

The only thing I can think of right now is that if you had a pulse oximeter you could lay down in bed, put the mask on, and see if your oxygen level drops.

Another thing popped into mind... "Rescue Tape" may help those who are not familiar with working with heat shrink tubing.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:That looks great.... "Rescue Tape" may help those who are not familiar with working with heat shrink tubing.
Thanks. Rescue tape is a new product for me. Doesn't seem that many years ago that we had only black friction tape.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Good job. Just to be clear, the hose in the picture is a "short hose" that goes between your mask and the "normal" hose. If you put one of these valves between the "normal" hose and the humidifier, you'd still be potentially rebreathing a lot of air.

I wish Respironics would make a similar valve with the big and small connections flipped so you could put it on the end of a mask without heat shrink tubing or tape.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

poppi2

Re: Anti-asphyxiation Valve for Pillows

Post by poppi2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:31 pm

poppi2 wrote:... I’ve ordered a 120 db power failure alarm which should give my wife a heart attack when it sounds. I may have over-bought since a smoke detector's sound is ~85 db @ 3 meters. It will not be mounted by my bed. Earl
I received my power failure alarm today from Hong Kong.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 2587wt_962 It is super loud! I've got to find a way to soften it.

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Very creative and well thought out! I'm fortunate enough not to be a mouth breather, but I'd happily borrow your design if I was and needed to tape.

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:35 pm

redjoe wrote:Very creative and well thought out! I'm fortunate enough not to be a mouth breather, but I'd happily borrow your design if I was and needed to tape.
Thank Joe. I spent a lot of time on the original post and hoped someone could use it.

As far as I am concerned, I only need to worry about aspiration pneumonia. I have never vomited in my sleep, but I am getting older.... I still hope I can outlive the lip leaks and eliminate the tape.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Great kitchen table engineering, poppi2. Now it remains for all the manufacturers of CPAP to gear up and make this happen for those that really need them. Of course, some entrepreneurial individual could make these and sell them via word of mouth on CPAPtalk, just like Karen does with Padacheek

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Thank you, Sir. It would have been simpler if the pressure valve nipples were reversed.