Itchy nose, No rest for the weary!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Outlaw68

Itchy nose, No rest for the weary!

Post by Outlaw68 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:43 am

I am a relatively new CPAP user, about two months. I am having an issue that a lot of people are having, but I cannot find a solution for it. The outside of my nose itches terribly through the night. I am waking up about 8-10 times a night to itch my nose. I have a mask that covers my nose only, that fits great. I have tried everything I know to try, to no avail. I have tried Vaseline, moisturizing cream, rubbing the affected area before sleeping, cleaning the mask, cleaning the filter, etc. etc. etc.

I have a fairly severe case of apnea, so the air flow that comes through my mask is significant. I can tell, that it is the airflow causing this. it's almost as if someone is taking a feather and tickling the outside of my nose. I have checked the mask for debris and cleaned the filter, but I have found no fix. If anyone out there can help me, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Outlaw

LSAT

Re: Itchy nose, No rest for the weary!

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am

This is a relatively common problem. I found that cleaning my face really well before bed helps with this plus it give me a better seal. Please fill in your profile with the machine and mask that you are using. Also, what is your pressure setting?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:59 am

Try a nasal pillow mask. The nose is not covered and if it is the air causing the itchiness..no air on the nose...if it itches anyway..easy to scratch.

I know you say you use a higher pressure. There are people here using nasal pillow masks with pressures at 20 cm. It can be done. I mention this because some DMEs tell people that above so and so pressure that the nasal pillows won't work. They will work. I have seen 18 cm pressure on my APAP and the pillows didn't blow out of my nose and fly across the room like a deflating balloon. In fact, I never noticed the high pressure till I woke up and looked at my reports.

Just another option to think about.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Nasal pillows nice--easy to scratch that itch. Mmmm.

Outlaw68

Post by Outlaw68 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I tried the nasal pillows at my sleep study and they didn't seem to fit well, but I may have to revisit them. LSAT, I will check my info when I get home and populate my profile. I am going to try something different tonight, and I'll let everyone know if it works.

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:04 pm

If you are still using moisturizers, etc., I would recommend against Vaseline or any other petroleum-based product, as they can cause your mask to deteriorate.

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Nasal pillows come in three sizes so it could be that a different size might work. I like the freedom of minimal cover on my face.

Outlaw68

Post by Outlaw68 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 am

Sorry I haven't posted, but I didn't find a solution until last week. When I went back to the sleep clinic for a follow up, the doc told me to try an anti-itch cream like Benadryl. I went to Wal-Greens and bought the generic brand, and IT WORKED! I have now had a week of uninterrupted sleep. I place cream on the outside of my nose, and just a little bit on the inside and it really works. I have been able to get six to seven hours of sleep per night since starting this. I hope this helps other people as well.

lagasan

Post by lagasan » Wed May 02, 2012 9:55 am

Try Lansinoh Lanolin. You get it in the baby aisle. Nursing mothers use it. It won't harm your mask and is safe. I use it with my Aloha mask and never have any irritation.

Anne

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 am

I agree with LSAT about washing the face with soapy water. But in my opinion it goes further. The itching of the outer nose or face could mean that the cushion, or mask, or air hose, or dehumidifier tank are not clean and have developed bacteria.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed May 02, 2012 1:05 pm

The fact that Benadryl cream worked and the other creams you tried didn't indicates you might be allergic either to the silicone or possibly to soaps you use to clean your mask.

You might try a mask liner. Padacheeks.com makes some really nice reusable liners out of a soft fabric. I really like having the liner against my skin instead of the bare silicone, and it helps with my skin sensitivities.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

I use nasal pillows or SleepWeaver and my nose still itches if I forget to do this one thing I read here months ago.

If you rub your face/nose briskly before putting on your mask - it might work for you in stopping the itching. Cleaning your face thoroughly might work the same way, but for me, it's often several hours between my shower and bedtime.

Try everything until you find the right solution for you.

Cheers,
xena