First Night...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nlifesimage

First Night...

Post by nlifesimage » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Tonight is my first night on APAP...... OSA will no longer rule my life. I know there may be adjusting to do and I'm still working through the fact I will need this lil machine for the rest of my life. Being positive and thankfully I have an out of this world tech at my DME. MOST of all I have a great support group here at cpaptalk. Ive spent countless hours over the past month on this site reading and learning from everyones stories or experiences. I cant imagine what it would of been like going into this first night without this community. Knowledge is power.....THANK YOU ALL!!

hades161

Re: First Night...

Post by hades161 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Grats, on taking charge !

Best Wishes to you on your first night !

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 am

nlifesimage wrote:Tonight is my first night on APAP...... OSA will no longer rule my life.
Hi,

Congrats on officially becoming a "hose head"! For tonight, your #1 goal is just getting through the night. You have done a lot of homework and are well prepared, but this is still a lot of new stuff. Having things attached to your face isn't normal, so just focus on getting through it one night at a time for the next few nights. I made it about 3 hours the first night, so don't worry if it takes a while to adapt.
nlifesimage wrote:I'm still working through the fact I will need this lil machine for the rest of my life.
Some folks actually go though a period of mourning just like they would have if losing a pet or getting a diagnosed with a major illness (which OSA is). It is OK to feel that way. Once you get a few successful nights and learn a few CPAP tricks, this will all become second nature. In my case, I was all but disabled before I started CPAP. Rather than having to work through it, I was really excited about CPAP because it was a chance for me to get my life back.

-john-

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 am

You've a great attitude, which helps a lot. Good luck!

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

lostmary

Post by lostmary » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Good for you. It has so much to do with attitude. I've had mine for 4 wks now and I really didn't want to have it. but then the dr told me if I didn't use it he didn't think I'd live much longer. I put that puppy on and I use it abt 11 hrs a day. I don't love it by any means, but I know what will happen without it. I'm on the Bipap and my number has only dropped to 32 an hr. so he wants me on the avs or whatever the next level is. I'm not as positive about this next one, but again. I have to.

Maryt

tomhole

Post by tomhole » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm

SH! Enjoy. I'm a new guy as well with 3 nights under my belt. Didn't know what to expect, but I do like going through the day without needing a nap. Didn't expect that. I'm flying to NYC on my weekly trip and I normally sleep the whole trip (and irritate everyone with my snoring). Just finished watching a movie, now im surfing the web and I expect to finish my brief for tomorrow when i get to the hotel. I wasn't going to bring that sillier blow machine but couldn't leave it at home. Got a big week ahead of me. Been a long time since I had this much energy. Might get to move back into the master bedroom again, too.

Certainly is freaky having a hose blowing in your pipes, but I hope you get used to it quickly. Pls post back what you think of all this. Certainly is nice having a support group like this. Good luck!

Tom

nlifesimage

Post by nlifesimage » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:42 pm

lostmary wrote: I'm on the Bipap and my number has only dropped to 32 an hr. so he wants me on the avs or whatever the next level is. I'm not as positive about this next one, but again. I have to.

Maryt

Hang in there!! Hopefully it goes well for you on your next step.

nlifesimage

Post by nlifesimage » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Getting adjusted and am coming to terms with the tube. Last night a friend stayed the night and was fascinated by how I looked. Still have an AHI of 6.8 or so... and waking up a couple times a night. Tomorrow going to switch over to full face mask and I feel it will make a big difference. @Tom...I very understand annoying passengers on the plane. I was accused once of causing a change in cabin pressure.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:17 pm

nlifesimage,

I see you use the same nasal mask as I do. Before you give up on it, have you ever tried using some sort of chin strap with it to make sure that you are not loosing some of your APAP therapy out of your mouth. I probably would not have made it with the Easylife Nasal mask due to my mouth breathing, but fortunately the RT at the sleep clinic suggested to use a chin strap in combination with the mask if we thought we would have issues with mouth breathing. I am glad I listened to her because I feel that my mask was the perfect one for me and my face, plus I never had to go the route of trying multiple masks with the real chance of having multiple frustrations.

Just something to think about

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright