Use fine filters!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RipVW

Use fine filters!

Post by RipVW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:52 am

Just a suggestion--I think all should use a fine filter on their CPAP in addition to the foam filter. I change my fine filter/wash the foam filter every 2 weeks. I am amazed to see how dirty the fine filter gets--dirt that would otherwise enter my machine, not to mention entering my mask.
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

chunkyfrog

Re: Use fine filters!

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:10 am

For those of us with S9 machines, the fine filters are about the same price as the others --from our hosts!
Not too bad, either.

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:02 am

I most definitely would use fine filters if my machine was designed to use them.. and change them as often as you can., Mine do get dirtier in the winter with the heater running.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks Rip....I just ordered another package. I put my last fine filter in my machine a week ago and meant to re-order...but being an old lady..I forgot Now I have another 6 pack on the way...again thank you for the reminder.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

RipVW

Post by RipVW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm

You're welcome, Nan!
Check out my chinstrap--> http://cpapchinstraps.com

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I think most everyone will agree that the prices of filters for cpap machines are totally ridiculous. I have been searching for a sheet of filter material, similar to what I can buy for portable air conditioners, from which I can cut out filters for my S9. I have found some foam filter material but no "fine" material. If anyone knows of a suitable source, please PM me or post it here.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:56 pm

jonnybee wrote:I think most everyone will agree that the prices of filters for cpap machines are totally ridiculous. I have been searching for a sheet of filter material, similar to what I can buy for portable air conditioners, from which I can cut out filters for my S9. I have found some foam filter material but no "fine" material. If anyone knows of a suitable source, please PM me or post it here.
they do a 5 micron and a 10 micron version. 72" by 36". Thats a lot of S9 filters.

http://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Filter- ... s_indust_4

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:00 pm

RipVW wrote:dirt that would otherwise enter my machine, not to mention entering my mask.
...not to mention entering your lungs.

I'm sure my lungs are cleaner now than they were before I started PAP therapy.

I change my fine filter at least twice a month, sometimes more.

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
jonnybee wrote:I think most everyone will agree that the prices of filters for cpap machines are totally ridiculous. I have been searching for a sheet of filter material, similar to what I can buy for portable air conditioners, from which I can cut out filters for my S9. I have found some foam filter material but no "fine" material. If anyone knows of a suitable source, please PM me or post it here.
they do a 5 micron and a 10 micron version. 72" by 36". Thats a lot of S9 filters.

WOW...anyone want to do a share of the fabric that would make alot of filters. The ones I ordered today cost me $20 for 6 here in Canada. If I had ordered from cpap.com the cost was $11.95 but then there was $17 on top of that for shipping.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:

Thanks Uncle! I'll check this out.
ResMed S9 Autoset

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:

Just went to the manufacturer's site and found that they actually do .5, 1.0, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100 micron versions.

Anybody know which version would be best for us to use in our cpap machines?
ResMed S9 Autoset

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Anyone know of laboratory tests of airflow comparisons between the brand name filters, 'generic' and the sheet stuff?
This info would be invaluable. DIY HEPA! YES! Filters seem to be such a rip-off--but they are still a small portion of our maintenance cost.
Still, the best prices are definitely NOT at the local DME!

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Found the below linked article and chart. From the chart, it appears the smaller the better. What I don't know is at what size filter does resistance to breathing start to come into play, if any?

The price of the sheet filters increases dramatically below 1.0 micron. As advertised, 1.0 - 50.0 micron sheets are about $15. 0.5 micron is about $57. But, when you figure you can make a gazillion filters for $57, it's still a really good deal.

Ideas?

http://www.cpapfiltersandsupplies.com/f ... afine.html

http://www.cpapfiltersandsupplies.com/p ... _chart.pdf
ResMed S9 Autoset

flocof

Post by flocof » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Would it be possible to just cut up some hepa filters from a vaccuum filter? I think they are way cheaper...
flocof
Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt

1tree

Post by 1tree » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Funny, I just picked up my machine today. Tonight will be my first night and I am really looking forward to it.

But I have already been thinking of how to improve filtration. The first thing that entered my mind was if I could house the whole thing in a cabinet and filter the air entering the cabinet. I was thinking along the lines of using good quality furnace filters. Not sure if I trust that the filter on my unit will do the best job possible.