SleepyHead update problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
trytryagain

SleepyHead update problems

Post by trytryagain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:17 pm

My Sleepy Head update keeps failing and I don't know why or how to fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gazhacks

Re: SleepyHead update problems

Post by Gazhacks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:25 pm

try running the program with administration rights, instead of left clinking, right clink

FarmGirl

Post by FarmGirl » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Gazhacks wrote:try running the program with administration rights, instead of left clinking, right clink
I'm techno illiterate. Would you mind running through all the steps to get to this point?

** My computer tells me there is a more recent version, would I like to update. I click 'yes' and it does its thing and then says 'failed.' I have no option/opportunity to right click.

trytryagain

Post by trytryagain » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Thank you for the help.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:07 pm

i think the confusion is that you installed the program logged in as a computer user. you can't then install the update as an administrator. i think you have to uninstall it, log in as administrator on your computer or install as administrator. then you can run the update which also has to be done as administrator.

i asked before someplace and was told not to worry about the update. just keep running it the way you are and uncheck the search for updates thing. we have one of these stupid laptops that came preloaded from the store and we can't log in/don't know the admin password. everything else works fine. its just this particular program updates that is a problem so far. its the only computer out of 5 that has a card reader so we have to use it for this.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:18 pm

I have the same problem on my Win XP computer. And installing as an administrator isn't an option as far as I'm aware with XP.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:I have the same problem on my Win XP computer. And installing as an administrator isn't an option as far as I'm aware with XP.
every computer can be logged in as administrator. you just have to know the administrator password at startup. if it starts directly into the user you can go to the start button and log out, not shut down, to get to an administrator/user choice. make sure you know the user or admin password before you do this or you may not get in anything. my xp computers say the me of the computer in place of saying administrator i think. we set them up so password is not required.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Broken Bob

Post by Broken Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 am

You all seem to have experience with Sleepyhead, maybe you all can help me. I attempted to download Sleepyhead 0.9.1 Beta on my Win 7. After downloading but prior to applying, I got a message saying this software can cause harm to my computer. I cancelled the progam. I would really like a program to help me monitor my apnea but I do not want to screw up my computer. Did anyone else get this message when they orginally down loaded?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:39 am

Broken Bob...is the message the standard message that Windows puts out when new software install is detected and that stuff is "unknown" about it?
Little typical warning box?
Or is there a specific warning from one of your security programs.

I have a new (last summer) Windows 7 64 bit laptop that I have had some version of SleepyHead on since then. And yes...with each version Windows gave me the same generic warning and each time I just bypassed it and installed each version that I have tested and I have had zero issues with my computer. No bad bugs and no problems using the software.

There is a generic User Account Control warning box that Windows will show anytime a program is attempting to run that doesn't meet verification issues or is just plain new. It asks if you are sure you want to run the program.

There may also be a "do you want to run this file" pop up.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Broken Bob

Post by Broken Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:55 am

Pugsy
It is the standard little box that says it could cause problems-I do not think it is generated by my security program. I am encouraged by your response. Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:11 am

Broken Bob wrote:It is the standard little box that says it could cause problems-I do not think it is generated by my security program. I am encouraged by your response. Thanks.
I get the standard user account control box when I open the setup files to install.
I tried to get a screen capture image of it but it won't work.

There is nothing bad in SleepyHead (none of my security programs ever flags any of its files) and I haven't had any issues with SleepyHead other than normal issues that someone has when testing programs that are in its infancy... The programs may have some odd things happen within the program but doesn't hurt the computer at all.

If you are seeing this pop up....it is quite safe to disregard it. It is just Windows being super cautious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

macewa

Post by macewa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:03 am

The past few days I've had probems getting my data to download but I just move to the next day on the calendar and do the data input button again and usually, there it is and on the right date. Just have to give it a couple of trys. Also, sometimes it helps to go back my machine and make certain it is loaded in properly. I love SleepHead and really don't see this as a problem. I am just thankful that it's there to use.
trytryagain wrote:My Sleepy Head update keeps failing and I don't know why or how to fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

woodsman316

Post by woodsman316 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 am

Gazhacks wrote:try running the program with administration rights, instead of left clinking, right clink
Had the same problem myself, your suggestion easliy fixed the update. Thanks!!!!!!!

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat May 05, 2012 1:55 pm

When you are on the screen that has all of your program icons, right click on the SleepyHead icon and choose to "Run as Administrator". After SH opens and announces an update is available, go ahead and click on download. I probably should have uninstalled the whole thing and re-installed as the administrator but this is a convenient option. Just means I will have to remember to do this with future updates. Remembering is the tricky part!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle