Data Help Please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maxie

Data Help Please

Post by Maxie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 pm

I am very embarrassed that I can't figure all this out on my own. I'm usually the go-to person for all things computer related but for some reason this CAP stuff has me a bit bewildered. I tried using the soft keys that someone posted on the forum for my machine and I never got to the clinician's menu so could someone give me more detailed instructions on that? I got machine settings but they made no sense to me and they weren't even listed in the CPAP dictionary I downloaded. I'm not even sure where the card is located in my machine but I have downloaded Sleepy Head to my computer. I'm totally amazed at the amount of information that so many of you possess here and also at times overwhelmed. One thing I am learning is a lot of the success of the treatment is based on the information you get from your "support group" as it almost seems like my RT (not to mention my sleep doctor) don't really want me to have too much information. Someone told me that a cd usually comes with the machine but I never saw one. From reading the forum I've got my mask working fine and the humidity seems perfect but how do I know unless I can read my machine?

robysue

Re: Data Help Please

Post by robysue » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:26 pm

First, have you got a copy of the clinical menu? If not, pm me and I'll try to send you a pdf copy.

Second, to get into the clinical menu you press both the key with two check marks AND the big round PUSH button (not the on/off button) down together and hold them down for about 3 seconds.

Third, you write:
I got machine settings but they made no sense to me and they weren't even listed in the CPAP dictionary I downloaded.
It would help us help you if you told us what things you're talking about. As in "My machine has a setting called WEIRD THING that is set to WEIRD THING SETTING. Anybody know what this setting is for? I looked it the CPAP dictionary and couldn't find any useful info."

Fourth, you write:
I'm not even sure where the card is located in my machine
The SD card slot is in the rear side of the blower unit. I'd recommend that you spend some time this evening doing the following:

DUMP THE WATER FROM THE HUMIDIFIER TANK! And then unplug the machine and turn it over and around and examine it from all four sides. Take the humidifier and blower unit apart and examine the sides that fit together when the machine is all put together. The idea is to get a good visual sense of what your machine looks like from ALL sides. On the back of the blower unit you will find the place where the power cord goes into the unit; a standard Caution tag; a "module/adapter port," which is most likely unused, that is immediately above the Caution tag; a gray cover over the air filter; and above the air filter is the SD card slot. The card should be pushed into that slot. Push and release and the card should pop out just enough to be released from the card slot. This slot works exactly the same way that the SD Card slot in a digital camera works by the way.

On the bottom of the machine is where you will likely find the tag with its serial number and maybe even its date of manufacture.

Once you've given the machine a good thorough visual inspection and are pretty sure you know where all its parts are, then put the machine back together, plug it back in, and refill the humidifier tank so that you are good to go when bedtime rolls around.

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Just wanted to say dont be embarrassed, I too am very up on computers and I have spent many years tinkering with them (1970's) I too was a bit lost when I was presented with my machine. Just remember to walk first, the knowledge will come in time it just takes a little patience and some reading up on the subject, not to mention a hole world of knowledge on this forum. Just open your mind

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Though the data from the LCD screen and the software can be invaluable don't discount how you feel when you ask if it's working.
Do you feel better than before you started?

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 pm

I was not able to access any of these but here is what I got from the menu:

SETTINGS
Mode CPAP
Set Pressure 10.0
Max Ramp 45 Min.
Start Pressure 5.0
EPR Off
EPR Level Off
Mask Nasal

OPTIONS
Climate Ctrl Auto
Sleep Quality Usage
SmartStart Off
IPR Inhale Med
Date 22 Feb 2012
Time 18:12

REMINFDERS
Off

CONFIGURATION
Language English
Restore Defaults
Erase Data
Press. Units cmH2O
Temp Units

Gazhacks

Post by Gazhacks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:58 am

Not sure about the S9 but you need to read the clinicians menu, its usually hidden again I use the S8 so Im not up on this machine but in this menu you will find your AHI and other readings.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:07 am

Machine instructional video may help you if you haven't already seen it
http://www.cpaplibrary.com/machines.html

Instructions on how to get to the clinical menu which you are having difficult getting to. with pictures of all the settings and choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/ResMed/ResMed ... Setup.html

Clinical/provider manual also has explanations. Check your private message box in a few minutes and I will send you a link for pdf download of the manual. It is a combined manual...the Elite and Autoset machines combined.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:47 am

I've printed the clinician's manual and I'm moving forward. Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful on this forum! I wonder why my RT isn't more forthcoming with what I need. He acted like I couldn't read the card because first of all I wouldn't have a card reader (I have a slot on my laptop.) and then I wouldn't have the software. But he did give me his email address. Every time I see the popular topic "Why is a CPAP Support Team Important" I want to tell anyone that to be successful on CPAP you MUST HAVE ONE!!! DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

NoSleep4u

Post by NoSleep4u » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 am

I'm having difficulty getting my data as well. For some reason, my computer is unable to read the SD card. Is there something I need to do first for this to work? I use an SD to USB converter. I would really like to start tracking my data.

Update: Nevermind. It seems like I have a bad adapter.

Last edited by NoSleep4u on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running the S9 Autoset in APAP mode at 4-13. Original sleep study showed 73.5 AHI

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 am

Maxie, the first thing you need to change is "Sleep Quality: from "Usage" to "ON". In usage mode, it will only record compliance data.
The video Pugsy linked you to is the quickest way to understand the settings and menus.

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 am

robysue wrote:Fourth, you write:
I'm not even sure where the card is located in my machine
The SD card slot is in the rear side of the blower unit. I'd recommend that you spend some time this evening doing the following:

DUMP THE WATER FROM THE HUMIDIFIER TANK! And then unplug the machine and turn it over and around and examine it from all four sides.
This is a very good idea, but don't put the tank back in until you're done flipping the machine around. Even small amounts of water can be trouble in an S9.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:09 am

NoSleep4u wrote:I'm having difficulty getting my data as well. For some reason, my computer is unable to read the SD card. Is there something I need to do first for this to work? I use an SD to USB converter. I would really like to start tracking my data.
More details please.
Computer type...Mac or Windows based OS?
Are you saying that your computer doesn't even see the USB converter or are you saying that software can't find it?
Which software are you trying to use?

I have links to SleepyHead in my signature line....please read the User guide first and pay special attention to the part about where to direct the download from.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:38 am

I followed directions and got out the data card and looked at my data in Sleep Head. I'm working on understanding my data and I want to thank everyone who helped me! The people on this forum are amazing!

Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am

So you can see the squiggles now? Wonderful.

So, how are you breathing?

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 am

Maxie,

Here is THE MOST CRITICAL THING you need to know about your settings:
OPTIONS
Climate Ctrl Auto

Sleep Quality Usage THIS SETTING MUST BE CHANGED FROM Usage to On for your machine to record and display full efficacy data. In my humble opinion you MUST either call the DME immediately and insist they change this setting to On OR you need to learn how to get into the clinical menu and change this setting yourself. You have a wonderful machine that can record AHI data, the full wave form, flow limitation data, snoring data and leak rate data as well as the usage data; but it records all this wonderful stuff ONLY IF Sleep Qualty = On. By setting the machine up with Sleep Quality=Usage, the DME has turned your machine into a (temporary) brick.

SmartStart Off
IPR Inhale Med
Date 22 Feb 2012
Time 18:12
I'll write a much more detailed explanation of the rest of your settings in a separate post. But I didn't want the Sleep Quality stuff to get lost.