Newbie seeking solution for sore nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
reffus1881

Newbie seeking solution for sore nose

Post by reffus1881 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:03 am

Hi Everyone,
I use A Mirage Quattro full face mask with head gear. I now have a 3rd blister on the bridge of my nose. This is not a threat to compliance,but is very tender and oozes a fair amount. It may be i just need to tweak the straps a bit more when i go to bed. I wear 3 band aids at night. I really don't want to change masks. I had the best nights rest to date. My AHI was 2.2 and no leaks that i remember. In only 17 days of cpap. I have napped some without cpap. Mostly falling asleep in the chair,doing better with that. I am profoundly grateful for this forum you have been such a help and blessing. I find i can lean a bit more on you guys and less on my immediate family. This seems to take stress off of them. And i still get the support i need.My nose would appreciate any and all suggestions that you might have.
Bill

Sheriff Buford

Re: Newbie seeking solution for sore nose

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 am

Try a silicone nose pad. You can go on cpap.com and see what I am talking about. Many folks here say they work great. Until you get one, try a bandaid over the sore, then place a strip of duct tape over the bandaid and see if that will tie you over. I had the same trouble with my nose bridge and could not conquer it. A nasal mask may be an option if you are not a mouth breather. A DME should exchange masks within 30 days. Finding a mask that is comfortable and doesn't leak is the goal of anyone starting out. Most folks go thru several masks until they find "theirs".

Sheriff

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am

Also, a few companies make little band-aids that have antibiotic on the pad already. I have found that wearing one during the day has helped healing the sores MUCH faster than leaving it uncovered. The antibiotic doesn't have a lot of effect on its own, it doesn't hurt anything, but since the sore is from irritation and not an infection it just doesn't do much on its own. However, the gel they use in those band-aids helps immensely in soothing the sore and helping it heal.

Yes, you look kind of funny with a small band-aid on your nose, but since it heals faster AND covers up the sore, it's worth it =)

I wouldn't wear it at night until you get the silicone pad, that gel has a tendency to get on the mask and cause some leaks.

Now to stop the new sores. I have found with the Mirage, you have to be VERY careful about the nose-bridge adjustments. Ease up on the dial a tiny bit, it shouldn't cause leaks, but will keep the seal from causing the sores.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:45 am

You may want to consider a mask liner from Padacheek (http://www.padacheek.com). I used one with my Mirage Quattro and never had a sore. The microfiber of the liner goes between the silicone seal of the mask and your skin, and as a result there is less pressure on your skin. I also used an anti-leak strap from Padacheek which allows you to make the mask fit snugly in a different way, distributing the pressure so it is not on the bridge of your nose; as a result you can loosen up some of the straps more than you could without it.

This combo of products also helped me get leaks under control, which with this mask were terrible (for me).

Good luck.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

reffus1881

Post by reffus1881 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 am

[qu
ote="RandyJ"]You may want to consider a mask liner from Padacheek (http://www.padacheek.com). I used one with my Mirage Quattro and never had a sore. The microfiber of the liner goes between the silicone seal of the mask and your skin, and as a result there is less pressure on your skin. I also used an anti-leak strap from Padacheek which allows you to make the mask fit snugly in a different way, distributing the pressure so it is not on the bridge of your nose; as a result you can loosen up some of the straps more than you could without it.
This combo of products also helped me get leaks under control, which with this mask were terrible (for me).
Thanks great info.

Good luck.[/quote]
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Try a silicone nose pad.
You can go on cpap.com and see what I am talking about. Many folks here say they work great. Until you get one, try a bandaid over the sore, then place a strip of duct tape over the bandaid and see if that will tie you over. I had the same trouble with my nose bridge and could not conquer it. A nasal mask may be an option if you are not a mouth breather. A DME should exchange masks within 30 days. Finding a mask that is comfortable and doesn't leak is the goal of anyone starting out. Most folks go thru several masks until they find "theirs".

Sheriff
Talked to my DME and will pick it up today. Thanks

reffus1881

Post by reffus1881 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:04 am

TalonNYC wrote:Also, a
few companies make little band-aids that have antibiotic on the pad already.
I have found that wearing one during the day has helped healing the sores MUCH faster than leaving it uncovered. The antibiotic doesn't have a lot of effect on its own, it doesn't hurt anything, but since the sore is from irritation and not an infection it just doesn't do much on its own. However, the gel they use in those band-aids helps immensely in soothing the sore and helping it heal.

Yes, you look kind of funny with a small band-aid on your nose, but since it heals faster AND covers up the sore, it's worth it =)

I wouldn't wear it at night until you get the silicone pad, that gel has a tendency to get on the mask and cause some leaks.

Now to stop the new sores. I have found with the Mirage, you have to be VERY careful about the nose-bridge adjustments. Ease up on the dial a tiny bit, it shouldn't cause leaks, but will keep the seal from causing the sores.
will try this today,thanks

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 am

Keep in mind that the nose may need to heal before one of these products can work right. Just sayin'

Sheriff

cdcm71

Post by cdcm71 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:40 am

I have the same mask.

Was too sleep deprived the first few days to realize there was a dial at the forhead to move the mask out a bit, perhaps removing the pressure. That might not work if it suddenly causes leeks at the cheeks. But maybe a tiny roll of the dial.

Also, I've had to find the sweet spot moving the mask a tiny bit up or down.

And I do find you can make a teeny tiny adjustment with the strap.
Machine:PR System One REMstar Auto CPAP Machine with A-Flex + Heated Humidifer
Mask: Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask with headgear
Pressure starts at 8, Data card says I'm at 11.5 90% of the time.