travel bags

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
calliemarsh

travel bags

Post by calliemarsh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:12 am

I am an old hand with the CPAP--have used one since 1997. It changed my life profoundly. Now I am older and travel quite frequently, I am weary of carrying my cpap and my computer on planes--well, between flights actually. I am searching for one roller bag that would carry both the cpap and my laptop and fit under an airplane seat. Does anyone know of one? Thank you.

apneawho

Re: travel bags

Post by apneawho » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am

I would carry them in separate carry on bags since the cpap machine is considered medical equipment. The only things that should be in the cpap carry on bag are cpap and related parts.

SleepingDVader

Post by SleepingDVader » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 am

There are some very nice laptop backpacks these days that also roll and are compartmentalized. That would probably be your best bet.

DrPepper00

Post by DrPepper00 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:24 pm

apneawho wrote:I would carry them in separate carry on bags since the cpap machine is considered medical equipment. The only things that should be in the cpap carry on bag are cpap and related parts.
Isn't the purpose of having only medical equipment in the bag so that it won't count as carryon? If you had everything in one bag, wouldn't that just be one carryon?

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:35 pm

When travelling, I have a small suitcase with wheels. My CPAP bag and my laptop (separate cases) sit neatly on top of my wheeled suitcase, with straps that go over the retractable handle of the suitcase so everything stays together and I wheel just one item to and from planes.

For ease of going through TSA, I would prefer separate bags - that way you're unlikely to have to remove the CPAP, but you have to remove your laptop no matter what.

Cheers,
xena

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:34 pm

ebags.com has a whole slew of roller bags. Look for the ones that are used for computer/file/gadgets. Costs anywhere from $50 up...Use their filter for brands, price, etc. Reputable on-line dealer --- http://www.ebags.com/category/rolling-l ... s/20030246

If this is the only bag you're carrying on, the argument others have raised becomes a moot point You can purchase a smaller carry case to put your cpap unit/mask/hose. I used to carry a computer case plus my cpap bag. Nowadays, I consolidate everything in one rollerbag. Slightly heavier to lift to store in overhead bins but nothing to carry [just roll]...

calliemarsh

Post by calliemarsh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:37 pm

apneawho wrote:I would carry them in separate carry on bags since the cpap machine is considered medical equipment. The only things that should be in the cpap carry on bag are cpap and related parts.
I have not always found that airlines honor the medical equipment guideline.

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Some photographers prefer roller bags. A site with great reviews is Photography on the Net. I'll go find a link to their bag reviews...

here you go...

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho ... p?t=585253

Suggest you check out LowePro and Think Tank bags. You will have to gut them of the padding/barrier stuff, but it's held in with velcro.

If I were looking for a shoulder bag that might carry cpap and laptop computer, I would consider a Think Tank Urban Disguise 40 or larger. Version 2 would be better than version 1...I have a gen1 bag. So well made.

There's no review there; however there is a review of the UrbanDisguise 60, a larger bag. They have incredible quality, and the cost in the US is so much better than here in Canada, they seem like a bargain.

If cost is no object, consider a Billingham bag. I'm not as familiar with them, because they cost too much for me. Beautifully made; waterproof! No darn rainhood.

DaveL
Toronto

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

plr66

Post by plr66 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm

calliemarsh wrote:
I have not always found that airlines honor the medical equipment guideline.
Hmm. I think it would be more helpful for you to specify which airlines and countries or domestic routes/cities during which you experienced problems, since this would be a very rare issue these days, in my experience both domestically and internationally. I've only found those restrictions written in for tiny planes on puddle-jumper trips in Europe, UK...but in reality has not turned out to be a problem when I've flown those trips, and as long as my bags were small and workable for available spaces. Can you explain your experience if different?
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

tinman2425

Post by tinman2425 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:46 pm

i to travel frequently and would like something as well for my machine and small laptop as well as a small portfolio. in my line of work im not worried about number of carry ons. but would like something that fits in the overhead bins of the smaller regional jets.

JamiJami

Post by JamiJami » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Try a rolling camera bag. Many hold a laptop. Camera part can be customized to your cpap.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I try not to fly (knock on wood)