Q re ResScan Event Flags

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NateS

Q re ResScan Event Flags

Post by NateS » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm

In all the examples I see as to how to read the Event flags in ResScan, I see four different flags in the legend to the left of the flowchart:

Yellow Flag-Unknown
Red Flag-Obstructive
Black Flag-Central
Blue Square-Hypopnea

In the examples I've found, all four flags appear in the legend, regardless of whether or not the user's flowchart shows all different kinds of events or only one or two.

But my charts don't - the legend in ResScan shows only:

Red Flag-Apnea
Blue Square-Hypopnea

So when I go to look for my Centrals, I can't distinguish Centrals from Obstructive Apneas even though I know I am having some centrals.

Did ResScan change their software?
I am using the latest version - should I go back to an earlier version?

Or is it something I need to turn on in Options in ResScan?
Or something I need to turn on in my S9 ASV?
I've checked the manuals for both and see nothing applicable.

PS - To add to my confusion, my charts in SleepyHead/Mac do not show Centrals either even though posted examples of the PC version do.

What am I missing or misunderstanding here?

Confused,

Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

idamtnboy

Re: Q re ResScan Event Flags

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:58 pm

NateS wrote:But my charts don't - the legend in ResScan shows only:

Red Flag-Apnea
Blue Square-Hypopnea
It looks like here's why. From the data management guide for the S9 VPAP series

Parameters
Central AI(3)
3. Only available in the S9 VPAP Auto and S9 VPAP S.

These two machines are BiPAPs and do not have ASV mode, so it looks like you can have ASV, or you can have CA and OA data, but not both. I guess because the ASV is designed specifically to counteract CAs it must not be particularly meaningful to flag them, or maybe they're not supposed to occur. Hopefully someone who is intimately familiar with ASV treatment for CAs can provide an explanation why this is so.

There is an xml file that feeds configuration info into Resscan. It has sections in it for the various machines that Resscan can display data for. I haven't looked but I suspect that the xml file for the VPAP Adapt tells Resscan there is no CA data and don't display the legend for it.

Here's the link to the data management guide. http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf

NateS

Post by NateS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:12 am

idamtnboy wrote:
NateS wrote:But my charts don't - the legend in ResScan shows only:

Red Flag-Apnea
Blue Square-Hypopnea
It looks like here's why. From the data management guide for the S9 VPAP series

Parameters
Central AI(3)
3. Only available in the S9 VPAP Auto and S9 VPAP S.

These two machines are BiPAPs and do not have ASV mode, so it looks like you can have ASV, or you can have CA and OA data, but not both. I guess because the ASV is designed specifically to counteract CAs it must not be particularly meaningful to flag them, or maybe they're not supposed to occur. Hopefully someone who is intimately familiar with ASV treatment for CAs can provide an explanation why this is so.

There is an xml file that feeds configuration info into Resscan. It has sections in it for the various machines that Resscan can display data for. I haven't looked but I suspect that the xml file for the VPAP Adapt tells Resscan there is no CA data and don't display the legend for it.

Here's the link to the data management guide. http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf
Okay, I went to that link and I see exactly what you are saying - very astute reading of the fine print, idamtnboy!

But I am astounded by this! - So they are saying "Well we know you received this machine because you suffer from Centrals, so we figured you wouldn't be interested in seeing when you actually have centrals or what their duration is or their clustering as distinguished from any Obstructive apneas!"

Is that what they are saying?

Or, on the other hand, are they saying: "You should probably assume that all of your apneas are Centrals, so we spent 3 cents to delete this information from our firmware!"

Plus, if that's why they did it - why confuse things further by using the Red flag when that's what they use for Obstructive apneas on the other models?

Why wouldn't they have used the Black flag which they use for Centrals on their other models?

I'm not complaining to you, idamtnboy. I'm just complaining.

Wow!

Snuff-L-Reddy

Post by Snuff-L-Reddy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:59 am

Nate:
I looked at the ResScan .XML and noticed that your machine is excluded in displaying Central (OPI) flags. I wonder if you could "Tweak" aka edit the file similar to the tidal volume & respiratory rate tweak that BernieRay posted and have the " Cental Lollipop" show. The NODEID is #OPI.
Edit to add NODEID for Unknown Apneas is #UAI

NateS

Post by NateS » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Snuff-L-Reddy wrote:Nate:
I looked at the ResScan .XML and noticed that your machine is excluded in displaying Central (OPI) flags. I wonder if you could "Tweak" aka edit the file similar to the tidal volume & respiratory rate tweak that BernieRay posted and have the " Cental Lollipop" show. The NODEID is #OPI.
Edit to add NODEID for Unknown Apneas is #UAI
Wow! What an intriguing idea!

I found the threads you are referring to, and on the one hand I would like to try this and on the other hand I don't want to screw anything up, since I've never gotten into the guts of a Windows application before in this way. (Although I suppose I could always reinstall ResScan if I did.)

I downloaded foxe242 but am wondering if I could get the specific "recipe" for change laid out by you, or by one of the other experts here before proceeding, as was done for the recovery of the respiratory rate and tidal volume graphs for the Autos and Elites.

I like challenges but I also like to proceed cautiously when I lack prior experience in a new project.

Regards, Nate