M Series BiPap Auto for travel ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snuff-L-Reddy

M Series BiPap Auto for travel ?

Post by Snuff-L-Reddy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:33 pm

I have an opportunity to purchase a " slightly used" M-series BiPap auto w/humidifier for $175. Would this be a good machine for travel & camping (in a small camper) and is the price reasonable ? From what I have read M-series don't provide much data but can be plugged directly into a cig. lighter with a common DC adaptor.

STL Mark

Re: M Series BiPap Auto for travel ?

Post by STL Mark » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm

They are very rugged machines that usually last in excess of 20k hours. I have one I recently purchased with 10k hours for $30 that works great and is quiet. If that one is truly pristine $175 may not be a bad price. I don't think data is as important for travel, but card readers can be purchased that would allow you to read the data it does produce.

I originally purchased this one to help someone that could not afford to replace their malfunctioning machine. They got theirs working so this one is available if you have a desire to ship it to Alaska and pay the $30. PM me to discuss it further.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:56 pm

M series machines have pretty much the same limited data on the LCD screens that the new PR S1 machines do...7 and 30 days AHI averages but leak is a total leak average and not the % in large leak.
With the software...excellent data for what it gathers but you need the DT 3500 card reader and Encore Viewer or Pro. You can reset the therapy data to zero so that only your data shows on the LCD screen.

Fair price for a M series BiPap Auto. Secondwindcpap.com has a slightly used one for $625 at their website right now and it doesn't have the humidifier included.

Regarding running off cigarette lighter....I think you are correct but better let someone else confirm. I never used my M series that way and I don't pay much attention to using batteries and such so I am not the best person to rely on for electrical stuff.

If you want more information on the data it does gather.. I have some old M series APAP reports I could show you. It doesn't do clear airway events nor RERAs but otherwise it shows pretty much what the PR S1 shows when using Pro or Viewer.
Here is the provider set up quick guide.
http://www.apneaboard.com/manuals50/Res ... 0Setup.pdf

If you want the full clinical manual you can request it here..[url]http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm[/url]

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Snuff-L-Reddy wrote:From what I have read M-series don't provide much data but can be plugged directly into a cig. lighter with a common DC adaptor.
Some M series humidifiers are AC powered. I would NOT run an AC powered Respironcs humidifier off of a DC to AC converter or a UPS unless you can find a Respironics statement that their M series AC powered humidifers can run off of a MSW AC waveform.

ResMed AC powered humidifiers can be damaged by inverters or UPSs according to ResMed. I've seen no statement from Respironics.

Later M series humidifiers run off of DC, and can run off the appropriate cigarette lighter cord.

S9 and PRS1 humidifiers all run off of DC. S9 machines require a DC to DC converter to run off of 12V.

By the way, S8 Resmed and most Respironics use the same plug, but the polarity is reversed. Use the wrong adapter and BOOM!

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Snuff-L-Reddy

Post by Snuff-L-Reddy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

I bought this unit. It came with a heated humidifier & a stand. Only 79 hours use on blower. Compared to the inflated prices most people try to sell their used units for up here, this was indeed a steal @ $175. I have downloaded the Providers Manual from an obscure site and Encore Pro is installed & works Great Thanks to Pugsy. I will be constructing a DC hookup for it and should be set for the coming camping season. As it is an auto I am going to convince my wife to use it a few nights for titration to see if she may have to have her own Sleep Study, I think she does.
Thank You for your input, help, and advice

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Snuff-L-Reddy wrote:I have an opportunity to purchase a " slightly used" M-series BiPap auto w/humidifier for $175. Would this be a good machine for travel & camping (in a small camper) and is the price reasonable ? From what I have read M-series don't provide much data but can be plugged directly into a cig. lighter with a common DC adaptor.
I traveled with my M series plenty of times. Just don't forget to empty any water from the humidifier and you won't have any troubles. It does provide plenty of data.

Yes, it does hook up directly to 12V with no expensive DC-to-DC converter required. Plenty of info already posted if you search for it.

I musta missed your Re$med question?

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!