TSA regulations regarding flying with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newyorknative

TSA regulations regarding flying with CPAP

Post by newyorknative » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:11 am

TSA REGULATOINS REGARDING Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machines

CPAPs are allowed through security checkpoints once they have undergone screening.

Passengers will be required to take their CPAP machine out of its carrying case and place the device in a bin for x-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing can remain in the carrying case.

In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required.

To facilitate CPAP machine hygiene and cleanliness:

Once out of the carrying case, you can place your CPAP machine in a clear plastic bag before placing the device in the bin. You will need to provide/bring your own plastic bag.

Upon request, TSOs will change their gloves prior to performing the visual and physical inspection, and ETD sampling of your CPAP machine. The CPAP will need to be removed from the plastic bag by the TSO to conduct the ETD sampling.

Upon request, TSOs will clean the table where the ETD sampling will be conducted.

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.

LSAT

Re: TSA regulations regarding flying with CPAP

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 am

From my flying experience the TSOs don't require most of this. I don't take my machine out of it's bag and they don't test it anymore. They seem to have gotten very lenient over the past year or two. It may depend on which airport you are going through.

Ticman

Post by Ticman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:19 am

I flew to Baltimore (BWI) this past weekend. All they ask was for me to open my carrying case and run it thru x-ray. I went to NIH and that was all I had to do there as well. They all knew what it was right away. I also have a medical tag attached to the case as well.

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 am

newyorknative wrote: Passengers will be required to take their CPAP machine out of its carrying case and place the device in a bin for x-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing can remain in the carrying case.
Last time I went through airport security I did not remove the machine from
the bag, was not asked to remove it and they did not open the bag to inspect.

I wasn't testing the system or being uncooperative... I simply forgot to remove it.
In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required.
They did not do that either.

My experience has varied from security completely ignoring the machine to
security doing a visual and swab inspection.

I stick with with 1 carry-on that is below the maximum limits... everything
else goes in checked.

NCHawk

Post by NCHawk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:08 am

I can't remember the last time a TSA agent did any sort of inspection of my CPAP. I remember once when they swabbed the outside of my bag, but I don't think I'd ever had them swab the machine itself.

I always take the CPAP and humidifier out of the bag and put them in a bin. I might try to just leave them in the bag the next time I fly just to see what happens. Since I also travel with a netbook it's a bit of a hassle having to put it and my CPAP in separate bins, and anything I can do to speed up going through security I'll take.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Not complaining, but if the regs read "will be required", it's not optional. Sounds like TSA isn't following their requirements. Jus' sayin...

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:01 pm

I keep both Resmed units in a individual plastic bag. They are both kept in their Resmed carry case. The bag is open and in the plastic TSA container. They take me to a separate place never anything else. ( So far )

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:14 pm

Despite flying several times with my CPAP and never being asked to take it out of the case, I will still pack each component separately in ziplock bags in case that changes. All that's ever happened is they check it through the x-ray.

I have let them know I include an extension cord, but no reaction.

Don't make the mistake of packing non-XPAP stuff in your XPAP bag - THAT will get you noticed.

cheers,
xena

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm

Flew from Washington Dulles to Tampa and back last month without a problem. Washington Dulles asked me to place the machine itself in a seperate tub for xraying. Tampa just asked me to unzip the bag befor placing bag in the tub.

Flying back to Tampa soon. This time I'm bringing distilled water with me in my PAPFlask (google "PAPFlask"). Wonder what they will say.

Chris
Hosehead since 2011-11-30

Machine: ResMed AirSense 11Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask
Software: ResMed myAir and OSCAR -Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

Paul56

Post by Paul56 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm

xenablue wrote: Don't make the mistake of packing non-XPAP stuff in your XPAP bag - THAT will get you noticed.
I do that all the time... they still ignore me.

Kairosgrammy

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I always pack mine in a suitcase. The first time I traveled after being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I thought my shoulder would break (it was bigger than my current one). I generally take two suitcases and pack cpap one of them and then put a lot of other things around it to protect it. All I ever carry is one computer bag with all I might need and my computer. And it rolls. I hate to be encumbered.
newyorknative wrote:TSA REGULATOINS REGARDING Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machines

CPAPs are allowed through security checkpoints once they have undergone screening.

Passengers will be required to take their CPAP machine out of its carrying case and place the device in a bin for x-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing can remain in the carrying case.

To facilitate CPAP machine hygiene and cleanliness:

Once out of the carrying case, you can place your CPAP machine in a clear plastic bag before placing the device in the bin. You will need to provide/bring your own plastic bag.

Upon request, TSOs will change their gloves prior to performing the visual and physical inspection, and ETD sampling of your CPAP machine. The CPAP will need to be removed from the plastic bag by the TSO to conduct the ETD sampling.

Upon request, TSOs will clean the table where the ETD sampling will be conducted.

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I always ask if they'd like me to remove my CPAP from its bag. Many years ago I had a Resmed S6 and always had to remove it. More recently I travel with my S9 and rarely have to remove it.

I also pack my prescription medicines, chin strap, and a pair of lady's tights in my CPAP bag. I wonder what they'd think of my explanation for the latter if they ever questioned it.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 pm

LinkC wrote:Not complaining, but if the regs read "will be required", it's not optional. Sounds like TSA isn't following their requirements. Jus' sayin...
It IS "required" of us - the option of requiring is theirs.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:40 pm

Kairosgrammy wrote:I always pack mine in a suitcase. The first time I traveled after being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I thought my shoulder would break (it was bigger than my current one). I generally take two suitcases and pack cpap one of them and then put a lot of other things around it to protect it. All I ever carry is one computer bag with all I might need and my computer. And it rolls. I hate to be encumbered.
Don't put it in the suitcase. NEVER. It might never arrive. It might get thrown from the baggage cart and driven over. They might use it as a basketball. Don't take the risk of arriving at your destination without a usable cpap machine. Get a bigger computer bag with wheels and put all electronics in it. Wear a coat with lots of big pockets for every thing else. Use a fanny pack.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal