Disinfecting equip... MRSA?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kairosgrammy

Re: Disinfecting equip... MRSA?

Post by Kairosgrammy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Why does he need your equipment? If he goes for a study, they will address all of that.
Lizistired wrote:So after I had my Dad use my extra equipment, my brother experessed an interest in addressing his apnea. He is a monster snorer whose friends wake him because he stops breathing. He has a CDL and I assumed he would be reluctant to explore it but I gave him some info on sleep stages and maybe he realizes he shouldn't need 10 hours of sleep to function.

Anyway, He and Dad have both had MRSA in the last few years so I didn't want to chance spreading that around. My brother is really paranoid about it and his wife is a clean freak anyway.
So here is what I did.
Soaked all gear, hose, tube, pillows, headgear in 1:10 bleach solution for 2-3 hours.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in vinegar/water solution for an hour.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in baking soda/water solution for an hour.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in dishwashing liquid/water for an hour.
Blew it all dry with the S9 for an hour.

Smells slightly of dish soap, but not of chlorine or vinegar.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I think everybody should have their own hose and mask at least if MRSA is involved .
If I had MRSA and got treated would get a new mask and hose and clean the humidifier as usual.

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Just curious,
If you are in contact with this person, do you sterilize his car?
home?
every thing in your home every time he is there?

And what even if the MRSA happened to get into the tank.
No way it could spread.

Just curious

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

tomjax wrote:Just curious,
If you are in contact with this person, do you sterilize his car?
home?
every thing in your home every time he is there?

And what even if the MRSA happened to get into the tank.
No way it could spread.

Just curious
No, because I'm not that paranoid about it. But I have never been hospitalized because of it. So it's not my place to say "don't worry about it", or to unnecessarily take a chance on exposing someone else to it. I have to respect his concerns for his own health whether I think they are extreme or not. Especially if I want him to take OSA seriously.
Since it apparently colonizes in the nose, I would be reluctant to use pillows after a person known to have recently had MRSA without more than washing with dishsoap and an alcohol wipe.

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:24 am

chunkyfrog wrote: I have timers up the wazoo...
I'll bet that hurts a lot.

I assume (there's got to be a punch line in there somewhere) that you disinfect them prior to use.
...other than food...

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:33 am

avi123 wrote:Reply,

As one who has contracted a Staff Infection 9 years ago while going thru a hip replacement surgery I am almost certain that the above "cleaning procedures" are NOT effective to prevent acquiring a MARSA infection. But, might be OK (actually over done) for other infections.

MRSA is all around us. In hospitals and in the community. Persons carry MRSA in their noses at all time (about 10,000 germs ) . When you fill a CPAP humidifier chamber with water then right there you're blowing MRSA from your nose into the chamber. So what good did you do, MRSA wise, when you cleaned the chamber.

MRSA would not attack the body unless the skin is cut or injured allowing the MRSA to enter. And then only those with damaged immune system could be victims.

If you have encountered MRSA (or Staph Infection) and treated for it then Nursing Homes, assisted living facilities, etc., would think twice if letting you in. If they do they you would then be kept you in isolation. Doctors, like Orthopedic surgeons might refuse to operate on you for joint replacement for example. You become like someone with leprosy in old time.
Do you have the SFI what you're talking about?

TIA for your reply.

On second thought, don't.
...other than food...

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:53 am

Lizistired wrote:Soaked all gear, hose, tube, pillows, headgear in 1:10 bleach solution for 2-3 hours.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in vinegar/water solution for an hour.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in baking soda/water solution for an hour.
Rinsed and soaked all gear in dishwashing liquid/water for an hour.
Blew it all dry with the S9 for an hour.

Smells slightly of dish soap, but not of chlorine or vinegar.
The bleach solution plus that contact time (the other critical component of disinfection) will (over)kill everything.

That said, people should keep in mind that 100% Clorox is not 100% sodium hypochorite (it's more like 6%). Back at the shop, Clorox Professional Disinfecting Wipes are used a lot (which have a concentration of 0.55%, or 1:10 concentration of "common household bleach"). They're effective against MRSA.

In your order of extermination, it would be best to start with dishwashing detergent to remove bulk soil first (disinfectants become progressively less effective if they need to penetrate scuz first).
...other than food...

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:05 am

Another common hospital disinfecting wipe is Oxivir, which utilizes 0.5% hydrogen peroxide (this product also has a short contact time and is effective against MRSA). Staples carries this product at a reasonable price.

Someone "in the know", however, said that this product should not be used on pulse oximeters. Apparently, the "extra oxygren" dores something to the sensor.

HE2, I do not understand how this could be so. Pulse oximeters do not measure oxygen gas tension, they shoot an infrared light to measure behaviour of hemoglobin.

Does saying "behaviour" make my butt look smaller?

Fun things to know about bleach:

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/pdf/N ... 1clean.pdf
...other than food...

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 pm

The reason you don't use hydrogen peroxide on a pulse oximeter is because it degrades the material that grips your finger. The sensor and housing are not effected.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:55 pm

[quote="Lizistired"]

Anyway, He and Dad have both had MRSA in the last few years so I didn't want to chance spreading that around. My brother is really paranoid about it and his wife is a clean freak anyway.

Question,

So what did they do to treat the MRSA. Was their MARSA checked in a hospital to verify that is so?

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:14 pm

deltadave wrote:Another common hospital disinfecting wipe is Oxivir, which utilizes 0.5% hydrogen peroxide (this product also has a short contact time and is effective against MRSA). Staples carries this product at a reasonable price.

Someone "in the know", however, said that this product should not be used on pulse oximeters. Apparently, the "extra oxygren" dores something to the sensor.

HE2, I do not understand how this could be so. Pulse oximeters do not measure oxygen gas tension, they shoot an infrared light to measure behaviour of hemoglobin.

Does saying "behaviour" make my butt look smaller?

Fun things to know about bleach:

http://www.cloroxprofessional.com/pdf/N ... 1clean.pdf
Dave, I saw this product Oxivir being used multiple times daily on the HBOT chambers, they must go through cases of it every day, it's also supposed to be effective against Hep C . BTW, I'm proud of myself, I figured out what SFI means!!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:22 am

DoriC wrote:I saw this product Oxivir being used multiple times daily on the HBOT chambers...
On the acrylic window too? Sechrist is very specific about acrylic care, the list composed almost entirely of "quats":

http://www.sechristind.com/Approved-Cha ... tants.html#
HoseCrusher wrote:The reason you don't use hydrogen peroxide on a pulse oximeter is because it degrades the material that grips your finger. The sensor and housing are not effected.
Do you have a doc on that? Most of the oximeter manufacturers say it's OK to use H2O2 3.0% (a heckuva lot more concentrated than Oxivir) on their machines without regard to components, and these guys specifically say you can use it on the sensor:

...other than food...

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am

deltadave wrote:
DoriC wrote:I saw this product Oxivir being used multiple times daily on the HBOT chambers...
On the acrylic window too? Sechrist is very specific about acrylic care, the list composed almost entirely of "quats":

http://www.sechristind.com/Approved-Cha ... tants.html#
No, no,just used on the special foam mattresses, pillows, telephone cords, and other accessorries within the chamber and the stuff around the floor,etc. Never noticed what they used on the acrylic windows. Anyway, I was just testing you!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:34 pm

DeltaDave, In that instruction sheet the H2O2 was for removing dried blood. The cable is OK to have it wiped off with H2O2.

I have seen several comments about diluting 3% in water, but no specific instructions. Our local hospital has noticed that the rubber oxidizes after a few exposures to H2O2, so they use 70% alcohol.

I am sure you could get away with it over a short period of time (like 6 months), but I expect my pulse oximeter to last for 2 years.

trw607@gmail.comhe

Post by trw607@gmail.comhe » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:41 pm

order of cleansing is importants
item to be disinfected should be degreased first that is use washing up liquid first to remove oil and grease first
now you can start the disinfecion process