another sore nose issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yeti

another sore nose issue

Post by yeti » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Using the swift fx, no trouble with soreness for 4 weeks. but now I am having pain from pressure. I use the medium pillows, and the small seems to leak too much. I have used lanishoh on and off but it seems to be from it pushing on the top of my nose rather than rubbing. its the only mask I have for now so need to make it work. any suggestions to keep the pressure off the top of my nostrils?

pickuptruck

Re: another sore nose issue

Post by pickuptruck » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 pm

You may have them to tight. They should be loose to the touch. The pillows inflate to seal.Some where here, there is a video explaining them. I use the FX and love them.

TinkRBell

Post by TinkRBell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:09 pm

I had great luck with Carmex that comes in a tube. I tried the saline gel first but was still sore and irritated. Slept sooooo comfortably from Night 1 with it. I turned out to be a terrible mouth breather even with a chinstrap and had to change to full face mask, Carmex worked so well I was sad to give up the nasal pillows.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Try loosening the top strap one notch. Sounds like it is pulling the nose up just a little. I have done this myself. Loosening the top strap worked wonders.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:52 am

When in doubt always try loosening the straps first. You don't need much pressure to get a seal. With the Swift FX, the pillows have to be aligned correctly or they will leak. If the pressure is too much on the top of your nostrils, loosen the head strap a bit. Don't compensate by tightening the back strap.

And consider using a sticky lubricant like K-Y or Astroglide. Besides preventing sores, they tend to allow the pillows to slide around at first and find their place, then as the stuff dries a bit, they become a little sticky which helps hold the pillows in place.