throat exercises?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Erinome

throat exercises?

Post by Erinome » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I read a newspaper article about throat exercises to help those with sleep apnea (like me -- yes, I use a CPAP machine, but am not finding it completely effective). Can anyone point me to a good site or paper that discusses these in detail, with examples?

Thanks,
David

PS: I'd ask my doctor, but I have no longer have insurance so my visits with him are few and far between.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Re: throat exercises?

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Erinome,

This site has a good search function. I typed in 'Throat exercises for Sleep Apnea' and got 60 posts (some of the posts are together in longer threads about it).

John

viewtopic/t72235/search.php?st=0&sk=t&s ... %2BApnea++

Edit: 61 with my post

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Erinome

Post by Erinome » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks John, but I did search this site (of course), as well as the Web. I've seen a lot of instances of the keywords, and some discussion, and mentions of journal papers of the efficacy of throat exercies, but have found nothing that tells me *what* exercises are recommended in what quantities, with instructions. A kind of manual or brochure.

Can anyone point me to such?

Thanks,
Erinome

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Erinome,

Sorry, I was getting ready to run out the door when I quickly posted. I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence by trying to point out the obvious. Many times people new to this forum ask questions about different CPAP/Sleep related topics and never look at what may be already posted here... I used to one of them

Only thing I can come up with, if you haven't already done this: See if it is possible to contact the newspaper and see if the writer of the article or even the editor might know more about the existence of journal papers or sources not mentioned in the article. Also, come back to this post a few times over the next few days and see if anyone has responded with anything promising, if not, bump it back up to the top so it doesn't get buried down where it won't be seen. This forum goes 24/7 with people all over the globe posting here at all hours. Who knows, maybe someone in another country would have some information about this for you.

I hope you find out something about this as I am very interested in this as well.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:49 am

From what I understand (from a video by Dr. Rapoport) there still hasn't been enough research done on the subject of throat exercises and SDB. They may help, but the problem is isolating which particular exercises. You can imagine it might be hard to find someone to fund this kind of research.

Post by 1.41 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Take up the digereedoo. There is at least one reliable study that shows that it helps. My sleep doc recommended it when he prescribed CPAP.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:10 pm

JeffL did you see any improvement in your AHI from doing these?

Has anyone here?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 pm

Like eye exercises to improve vision, throat exercises for apnea would require an incredible degree of dedication and stamina--even if it could be proven they work. All evidence of human nature points to the likelihood that it would not work in nearly all cases.
The upside is an extremely lucrative business opportunity to prey on the gullible, poor, and in denial.
Just my worthless opinion.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 am

I'm not impressed by what I found.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5178372_do-exer ... tment.html
http://ajrccm.atsjournals.org/content/179/10/858.full
http://cloudhiddenwheraboutsmukilteo.bl ... t-and.html
http://www.livestrong.com/article/36179 ... he-tongue/

Free exercises, probably not harmful. The research I see doesn't show any numbers showing a big improvement.

A researcher will get excited because treatment XYZ shows some statistical evidence of a minor improvement. That's way short of it being a replacement for CPAP. CPAP shows an immediate, major, and often lifesaving improvement. Weight loss, surgery, exercises, dental appliances, are very iffy. It's like using antibiotics for a serious infection vs. using herbal remedies and healthy diet.

A bunch of other links lead to the same guy peddling some program. It looks to me like someone's been going to a lot of effort to make his program show up in Google searches, a real red flag to me.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Snake oil, anyone?
I'll just stay with the 'snake'.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:41 pm

Gerald? wrote:
JeffL did you see any improvement in your AHI from doing these?

Has anyone here?
I didn't do it. I was just trying to help the OP find some info.

I was trying to play the didgeridoo (I happened to have one that was just decorating the living room), but I stopped when I caught a 4 week long cold, and I just never got started again... something I need to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxDYY3xWnIg