Selling a Used CPAP Machine , Advice

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lali0020

Selling a Used CPAP Machine , Advice

Post by lali0020 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 am

In 2009 I was diagnosed with OSA and given a prescription for a CPAP. I used the machine for ~1 year before having more testing as it wasn't working and being changed to an Autoset. Well it's been a year of it in storage (in case I needed a backup) but I've decided to try and sell it but not sure where to go. I'd really like to get back some of the amount I had to pay for it as my deductible was quite high at the time. Does anyone have good suggestions on how to go about doing this? Also anyone have any idea on what a fair price would be for the machine listed.

Fisher & Paykel Sleep Style 604 w/ heated humidifier and heated tubing. Cleaned often and kept in great condition. Non smoking house, no strong odors, and no issues with the machine just switched to an autoset which fixed me all up.

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

nanwilson

Re: Selling a Used CPAP Machine , Advice

Post by nanwilson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm

I too have a 604...as my backup machine once I was able to get an auto. I'm keeping mine...just in case. It isn't worth very much as a used machine, but you could try secondwind.com or place an ad on craigslist. By the way my auto was a used machine, only had 250 hours on it and I paid $60 for it and then $60 for a humidifier...so you see it isn't worth selling it. You NEVER know when or if, your new machine could crap out or need repair...then what would you do?????????
Keep it as a backup, you should have a backup of everything ...mask, hose, filters..etc.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Craigslist might be a place to advertise it.

Price? Hard to say. You might take a look at secondwindcpap.com to see if they have a similar machine priced retail. They will purchase used machines with less than 2000 hours of use for resale. Of course they buy cheap so they can make money. Only problem I have with them is their "new retail price comparison" which is more like a DME price and not what the machine can be bought for new from an online supplier.

I think you may find that the F & P machine's greatest value would be as a backup machine for you. Used machines lose their value very quickly. People won't care how much you paid for it. Savvy shoppers don't look at DME prices as a starting point at all. To give you an idea, I saw a brand new S9 Autoset/humidifier for $400 on my local craigslist yesterday.

Last edited by Pugsy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I have an M Series Auto and PR SystemOne Pro with low hours that I'd like to sell but SecondWind is not accepting any new machines until after the new year.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm going to go with the "keep it as a spare" crowd.

For price, start at 1/2 the price of a new machine online, and consider yourself very lucky if you get that much. Deduct if your machine isn't the current model or isn't brand new. Forget the local DME price. First off, that's often a bogus price, and that comes with local support, warranties, insurance hassles, etc.

It's used medical equipment. Why buy it used with no warranty or support unless it's a LOT cheaper?

Don't be fooled by the high prices people list on Craigslist. They may find some sucker willing to buy for their price, but I suspect a lot of them never get sold or get sold for a lot less.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

After seeing the pathetically low price offered to me by SecondWind, I'm opting to try selling on Craigs List for awhile first.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.