DME Integrity Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

DME Integrity Question

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:11 am

Last edited by Grand-PAP on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: DME Integrity Question

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 am

Over a hundred hours extra?
I agree that might exceed the testing run the shopor factory would do during setup.
It's also not a lot of time. With Medicare, you could have done a lot worse.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 am

"With Medicare, you could have done a lot worse."

I'm not sure what you mean--Medicare pays for new machines--what the dme provided may have been "gently used"--that has nothing whatsodver to do with Medicare My guess is someone tried this machine and returned it. Hopefully the DME cleaned it before passing it on to you.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 am

Janknitz wrote:"With Medicare, you could have done a lot worse."

I'm not sure what you mean--Medicare pays for new machines--what the dme provided may have been "gently used"--that has nothing whatsodver to do with Medicare My guess is someone tried this machine and returned it. Hopefully the DME cleaned it before passing it on to you.

What is there to clean besides putting in a new filter?

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:17 pm

LSAT wrote:
Janknitz wrote:"With Medicare, you could have done a lot worse."

What is there to clean besides putting in a new filter?
Water tank???

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Yep, 220 vs 80 hrs says this PAP had had some patient use before you received it.

On the other hand, as ChunkyFrog said, 100 hours on a CPAP machine really is nothing. Many of these devices have worked well for 10 and even 12 years. Even most insurances and Medicare won't consider replacing a PAP for at least 5 years under normal circumstances.

HOWEVER, I DETEST those who try to take advantage of my "ignorance" and I sure as hale would let this DME know that I was wise to the stunt they pulled and that they sure as hale OWED me better service in the future and that I would be double checking everything they say and do in the future.

I certainly do NOT understand ChunkyFrog's comment: "With Medicare, you could have done a lot worse". Medicare is my primary and I've been provided w/a brand spanking new 0 hours on it Resmed VPAP Auto in March of 08 (they were first released in January of 08) and previous to that a spanking brand new Resmed S8 Elite w/1 hr on it (in October 06). Medicare EXPECTS to pay for NEW devices, NOT used devices.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Last edited by Grand-PAP on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 pm

If they don't shape up, ship 'em out. Always be diplomatic but don't be bashful about checking w/your insurance first and then dumping them. And don't be bashful about letting them and everyone else know WHY you decided to dump them.

Meanwhile, tho, once they know you are on to their sleezy trick you kinda have them by the short hairs and under normal circumstances they should bend over backward to keep you happy.

I was too far into my Medicare capped rental of my Resmed S8 Elite to just dump my original DME provider but that didn't stop me from getting my supplies and accessories from a different local DME provider until the capped rental was completed at which time I made sure that the sheisters knew they were fired and why.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Maybe others have had better experience than what I've heard locally.
Personally, I don't expect much around here--i would be delighted to be wrong.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00 am

On most insurance plans you're on a "rent to own" plan for the first few months. If it doesn't work out, you return the machine and only pay a monthly rental fee. Rental is in YOUR favor if it doesn't work out.

Why would you expect a rented machine to be brand new?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 am

archangle wrote:Why would you expect a rented machine to be brand new?
Well, because it is supposed to be brand new. The "rent" is simply the way the purchase payments for a new machine are divided out over time. Medicare expects to be paying for a brand new machine, I'd think? The only reason (well, maybe not the only reason) Medicare doesn't pay the full agreed upon price up front to buy the machine outright is because so many people do "quit CPAP."

Monthly payments toward the purchase is better from Medicare's standpoint. They check for compliance and that the user is getting benefit from the therapy (as reported by a doctor) during those first crucial months. Then, Medicare either continues paying on the purchase price, or...won't keep paying on the purchase price if the person doesn't meet their compliance requirements. But I do think Medicare assumes the payments are for a NEW machine. ( Medicare probably really doesn't care, though. ) It's up to the consumer to educate himself/herself about all this stuff.

As the others have said, 100 hours is "young" as CPAPs go, but does mean someone else almost surely did use it for awhile. It's still "like new", but it ain't really "new" as in "never-been-used-before."

I'd want a brand new one, just as a matter of principle. But it might not be worth the hassle to insist on that. That machine is still a "young'un."
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:19 am

Check the premise of your question.

DME integrity is an oxymoron

Not a happy day for a Ga Dawg