Extra Long Hose??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Perrybucsdad

Extra Long Hose??

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Does anyone know if it would pose an issue to the pressure setting if I somehow connected two hoses together so I have a bit more slack with my hose at night? I constantly am yanking my unit almost to the point of falling off the night stand and part of the problem is my wife and I have a king sized bed, and I like to snuggle up against her way on her side of the bed. The short hose that comes with the S9 makes me feel like I'm back in grade school at St Mary's of the Assumption and we have the girls side of the playground and the boys side.

Although I'm not a fluid engineer, the IT engineer in me says that I would think there would be a pressure difference based on shorter and longer lengths of tubing, but is it significant enough or is there a way to adjust for it with the unit? I know the S9 can compensate for different diameter tubes (slimeline, vs standard, vs heated hose).

Anyone know the answer?

John

archangle

Re: Extra Long Hose??

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:57 pm

It's been reported that extra long hoses can mess up detection of apneas, auto pressure setting, bilevel, and ASV detection of breathing. My gut feel is that pressure won't drop much on manual CPAP, but it might drop a little.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Perrybucsdad wrote:Does anyone know if it would pose an issue to the pressure setting if I somehow connected two hoses together so I have a bit more slack with my hose at night? Although I'm not a fluid engineer, the IT engineer in me says that I would think there would be a pressure difference based on shorter and longer lengths of tubing, but is it significant enough or is there a way to adjust for it with the unit? I know the S9 can compensate for different diameter tubes (slimeline, vs standard, vs heated hose).
Anyone know the answer?
John
John, I don't know specifically for the S9, but I got a 3-m (10') hose for the frau's S8 Auto 25 and it seems to work ok. I would be hesitant to connect two in series, as it would get kinda long and maybe be a 'drag'. I got the 10-footer for not much more thatn $10 online. Good luck. earl

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:02 pm

You should simply try it and see--I'd connect two standard hoses, not the slimline hoses, though. Most likely, it will work. I've seen multiple mentions of people doing this, and places like Cpap.com sell swivel couplers to make it easy.

I don't think pressure per se will be an issue; but, if you are running the machine in auto mode, the extra resistance of the hose may affect the way the machine works, to some slight degree. You may also notice greater danger of "rain out." I assume you've already tried an 8' hose, and that isn't enough?

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Perrybucsdad wrote:Does anyone know if it would pose an issue to the pressure setting if I somehow connected two hoses together so I have a bit more slack with my hose at night? I constantly am yanking my unit almost to the point of falling off the night stand and part of the problem is my wife and I have a king sized bed, and I like to snuggle up against her way on her side of the bed. The short hose that comes with the S9 makes me feel like I'm back in grade school at St Mary's of the Assumption and we have the girls side of the playground and the boys side.

Although I'm not a fluid engineer, the IT engineer in me says that I would think there would be a pressure difference based on shorter and longer lengths of tubing, but is it significant enough or is there a way to adjust for it with the unit? I know the S9 can compensate for different diameter tubes (slimeline, vs standard, vs heated hose).

Anyone know the answer?

John

Why not go to the Resmed site and click on the CONTACT US and ask them. The best you'll get here is speculation and perhaps semi-educated to educated guesses. If you do go ask Resmed come back and let us know.

My semi-educated guess is that it probably doesn't matter within reason -- 10-12 foot probably won't make much difference -- more than that likely will start impacting the theraphty, alhough what that impact would be I don't know.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:47 pm

moresleep wrote: I assume you've already tried an 8' hose, and that isn't enough?
ResMed makes an 8' hose??

I would think Laminar flow would have an effect but not sure what it would be. It might be an interesting experiment. I guess the prudent thing would be to contact ResMed like someone stated here, but what fun is that when you like math and science. Anyone remember how to find out flowrates and the formula for laminnar flow?

redjoe

Post by redjoe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:53 pm

I know you can buy a stock 10' hose. Ialso know that, on my Intellipap, there is a setting for 6' or 10' hose, but I don't know about Resmed. Good luck!

SmartLink module works, but software doesn't, so I'm using SleepyHead. Thanks, JediMark!
Real sleep and oxygen to the brain are wonderful things!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:57 pm

As soon as i got my S9 i called resmed and asked about a 8 foot climateline hose, at that time there was told there was no 8 foot version planned

I had previously been using the 8 foot standard tubing with my S8.

There must be some give with pressure and hose length as you can connect the climate-line either directly to a FFM mask right at your face or to an approx foot long mask hose such as on the Swift Lt & LX masks.

Perrybucsdad

Post by Perrybucsdad » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Well, I guess it's time for me to get a second slimline hose, something to couple the together with (which will affect the outcome as it plays into the equation for pressure loss), my trusty HP calculator out and a manometer to see how close the calculation is based on the equation for pressure loss. I tell you, the big question will be what the ribbing of the tubing will have on the air velocity in the hose. I think for simplicity, I might just assume that the tube is smooth to make it a simpler equation as the manometer will give the true air pressure.

I plan on emailing Resmed though as the items I won't be able to answer are the algorithmic steps that the system uses to detect events. I have no idea what they are, so I don't want to make any assumptions there.

- John