Ultra Mirage Full FAce Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

anyone else tried this?

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:46 am

Has anyone else tried this? If you did, did you get the same size cushion as your mask size or the next larger size (assuming you're not already using the large size)? I'd hate to spend $65 only to find out it didn't work or I bought the wrong size cushion.

Sereveena, did this cushion replace the home made fabric gasket that you mentioned in an earlier post?

loonlvr

Post by loonlvr » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:30 am

Maybe she can get that techie to come in here on this thread and explain exactly what he used and how he did it. Sounds like he just place a second replacement cushion (same size) over original.I too wonder how it would stay in place.
Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Lance Armstrong

allen

Post by allen » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:49 pm

I tried it.
I happened to have a cushion from my first ff mask. The first mask I had was a medium and I now wear a large, but I tried it anyway. Do remember, though, that I'm dealing with 2 different sized cushions.

The extra cushion does fit over the cushion that's attached to the mask. Since my cushion was a smaller size than what's on the mask, it had to stretch a little, but it went on fine. The sizes are close enough that there's little problem.

I was only able to take a short nap, but there was some leaking and some of the "obscene" noise making. Not nearly as bad as what I'm used to, though.

I plan to try the double cushion system again tonight. If it works pretty well, I'll end up buying a second cushion in the same size as my mask--large--in hopes that matching sizes will result in NO noise and NO leaks. (Or at least very close to NO!)

Main thing, though, is that fitting the cushion atop the existing/attached cushion is not at all difficult--doesn't require pictures here to figure out. It's one of those things that's easier to do than to explain.

Allen

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:14 pm

Allen, please let us know how it works out - especially once you get a properly sized cushion.

Based upon your experience, do you think we'd do better if the "extra" cushion was a size larger than the regular cushion, rather than the same size?

allen

Post by allen » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Based upon your experience, do you think we'd do better if the "extra" cushion was a size larger than the regular cushion, rather than the same size?

Guest,
I can't answer that one. I was using a medium over a large and it fits okay. I think a large over a large will be perfect. If I decide to order another cushion, I'm going to order a large. Sev's husband's sleep tech used "same size to same size" and he's the pro, so I'll go with his specs.

Allen

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:40 pm

Wow, there's another benefit to using a 2nd cushion over the first. It's a lot easier to take off and clean that 2nd cushion. I know, I'm probably the only one here that takes the cushion off to clean daily but it would greatly simplify things for me because the cushion on the mask wouldn't need to be cleaned daily, just the 2nd cushion.

Regards,
Bill

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Allen I am glad the second cushion is working for you.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:31 pm

You could have just invented the full face Activa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snorzalot

Post by snorzalot » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:34 pm

Although I love the Ultra Mirage FF a lot more then the old S2 series FF, I am loving the Fisher Paykel FlexiFit FF a lot more!

I have both masks at the moment and the biggest advantage I see to the ResMed version is the adjustable plastic at the top of the nose to reduce or relocate pressure. The FP FF mask does NOT have that type of adjustment, BUT it comes just under the chin which helps tremendously with mouth breathing, includes more cushioning to the face, seals a LOT better even with a 16 iPAP/12 ePAP and fits my face a lot better then the Ultra Mirage FF.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:00 pm

Does the FP mask do as well for side sleeping as the Ultra Mirage FF? My only complaint with the Ultra Mirage is that I get the bridge of my nose irrated on occasion....other than that, I sleep with it on my side without many problems.

snorzalot

Post by snorzalot » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:08 pm

Since I can't tolerate a chin strap, the FP FF is an excellent option as it tends to extend lower then the ResMed UM FF and it actually covers the bottom of your chin in case you like keeping your mouth closed to breathe through the nose. However, it's nice to have the mouth breathing option as well, especially if you get a clogged nose like me.

Due to the longer, better fit, IMHO, I believe the FP 431 FF does a MUCH better job holding a good seal while sleeping on your side. I tend to overtighten, but I really don't notice any leaks on the FP FF.

Here's a quick link to the picture so you can see how it comes down over your chin - http://www.fphcare.com/osa/FlexiFit431.asp

I also feel there's a lot softer contact on the FP mask touching your face.

Thanks!

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:26 pm

I use a 431 by F & P and thought the under the chin was a good idea until I tried it. Used four nights with leaks at low pressures (6 if you can believe it). The mask tells me I have a long face. I don't think I do nor do others who know me but the large cushion rides on the bridge of my nose or if moved up the chin portion just barely is able to go under my chin and the air seal farts away, again The inclusion of the 3 sizes of cushions (S, M & L) is a great idea as long as your DME gives them to you. You can save yourself some money by trading off the other sizes you don't use for the one that you do use. This mask tends to be more claustrophobic feeling to me than the UMFF. It would be interesting to try if they had an extra large cushion though.

allen

Post by allen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Update--
Recently, I've gotten a couple of Private Messages from folks referring to this thread and inquiring about my continued results with double-cushioning since my last post.

Here goes:
Some time ago, when my previous cushion needed to be replaced, I decided to order 2 new large cushions to try and double-cushion with both being the same size. After several nights, decided that the doubling wasn't necessary.

A couple of weeks ago, someone private-messaged me about this same thread. I decided to give double-cushioning another try. I began having some problems, particularly a renewal of the "potty" noises that the mask can make as it vibrates against one's cheek. In the meantime, though, I forgot that I'd added the extra cushion.

Over Labor Day (2006) I went out of town. While sleeping away from home for several nights, the mask sounds were really bad. When I returned home, I proceded to wash the mask. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I'd been double-cushioning and had forgotten about it. Since then, I've been using only 1 cushion, and the additional noise problems have ceased.

I'm happy with the mask in its "as arrived" status. It does leak periodically, but I awaken, adjust it, then I'm right back to sleep. No big hassle.

Allen

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 am

Well......I've tried the F&P 431 FlexFit mask. Initially I figured it was a good way to go as it went under the chin. I guess I don't have a particularly long face. I tried both the medium AND the large seal. I just couldn't get it to give me a good compromise between low nose bridge pressure and a decent seal. it leaked like a sieve.....especially when I slept on my side, which is most of what I do. I gave up on that one. I've been using an Activa, but wish to get a good FF mask now as well for those less than perfect sinus nights. I may try a Ultra Mirage as I've sure been happy with the Activa. They have that wonderful adjustment for nose bridge pressure, and I NEED that for sure......

Persistance is Omnipotent

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:29 pm

I have to chime in on this one again myself to let you all know that Tom could not stand the mask and he finally gave it to his brother and his brother is now using the mask.

I am back with my HR and I have really missed it. It is nice to know that my husband has an extra head gear and a size small Resperonics nasal mask that I can use if needed.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.