Vitamin B-12 Deficiency

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zeeclass

Vitamin B-12 Deficiency

Post by zeeclass » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:15 pm

I just wanted to give everyone heads-up about this.

Recently I found out that I was deficient in B-12. My lab was 398. Anything under 500 is not good. In fact, 500 is the minimum recommendation. Higher would be better.

A B-12 deficiency can cause depression, cognitive fog and impaired cognition, nerve pain, and muscle weakness. I have been struggling with mild depression and brain fog for over 15 years.

What really gets me angry is that *I* had to insist that my B-12 level be checked. I have found out that people with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis are often prone to B-12 deficiency. NONE of my doctors ever mentioned this to me, including my supposedly excellent endincrinologist who is affiliated with Stanford Univ Hospital. My TSH levels and other labs were always good, so she insisted that I had nothing to worry about. I kept telling her that I still didn't feel good. She kept insisting everything was OK. I kept asking if there was anything else we could test. She kept telling me "not really."

I am now taking 2,000 mcg of B-12 sublingually (The Methyl variety which is more easily utilized by the body). Gee what do you know....I have more energy and can think more clearly after being on B-12 for about a week. I will get re-tested in about 6 weeks. If the level hasn't gone up significantly, I will need to get B-12 shots, because it means that my body has lost the ability to absorb B-12 (lack of "intrinsic factor"). That can happen to people with Hashimoto's, but it can also happen naturally as many people age. They used to consider B-12 deficiency an "elderly person's disease" but not anymore. They are finding that even young people can be deficient in B-12.

I mention this here because many of the symptom of sleep apnea are also symptoms of B-12 deficiency and thyroid disease: fatigue, depression, foggy thinking, muscle pain, etc.

I don't know what's wrong with doctors today -- why they can't test you for vitamin and mineral deficiencies FIRST when you complain of certain types of symptoms? How hard can it be to just check a few more boxes on the lab slip?! Everyone is on the Vitamin D bandwagon (I take that, as well....found that my Vitamin D level was very low a few years ago). But the other stuff....B vitamins, magnesium, potassium.....naaah, why bother testing those?

Sheesh, how interesting that I feel better on an OTC inexpensive VITAMIN than on expensive SSRIs with many side effects?

Gets me so angry!

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

Goofproof

Re: Vitamin B-12 Deficiency

Post by Goofproof » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Because OTC drugs and Vitamins can't be sold for as high a profit as prescription drugs, and you can get them without a doctors help. Drug dealers push the drugs they can supply to pay for the big house and new Caddy. Jim Just taking a vitamin supplement dosen't fix anything, if we need hepl we need a lot stronger than them. WARNING, OTC and Vitamins can be over done, word to the wise. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Vader

Post by Vader » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Goofproof wrote: WARNING, OTC and Vitamins can be over done, word to the wise. Jim
That's VERY true. i.e., ...A lot of people have done damage to their kidneys from taking huge amounts of vitamin c, back in the days when that was "trendy"

I have heard that B12 deficiency has also been associated with Bipolar disorder.

Vader

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:40 pm

I had the same problem. But my Doctor noticed that during my sleep study my legs were shaking slightly. When it got very low I was extremely weak and lost a lot of weight. B-12 shots made me feel better.
The bummer is that Medicare doesn't pay for B-12 any longer. My Medicare advantage plan from Humana also stopped paying. The VA stepped in and helped me.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

zeeclass

Post by zeeclass » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Yes, you need to be careful, do research, and not overdo some vitamins, particularly the fat-soluble ones.

One important thing I learned by doing research is that it is better to take oral B-12 on an empty stomach, and not eat for at least 30 minutes. This helps you absorb it better.

My doctor didn't have a clue regarding the types of B-12, how much I should take, which brands are better, or how to take it. I had to learn everything on the internet. Of course, I used valid sources, not stupid crap like articles on Associated Content or e-How. Medical websites are best, followed by people in forums who very obviously know what they are talking about from personal experience (you still have to be very careful, though). Perhaps a naturopathic doctor would know more information about vitamins and minerals, but you'd have to find a good one you could trust. Often, the RDA is too low for people with deficiencies or problems.

Medicare not paying for B-12 shots? That sucks. That is just wrong.

Diagnosed mainly with hypopneas, original AHI of 19. Also suffer from twitching in sleep, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, herniated discs in neck and back, mild recurring depression. Hubby and I are both hoseheads with matching CPAPs!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I pop a B-12 daily as part of my breakfast.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

ems

Post by ems » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:59 pm

After a week of taking Vit B12, I felt I had more energy.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I have Neuropathy in my feet and the Podiatrist put me on some drug that blew my mind with the first pill called Lyrica. Went back and said no way am I taking this stuff. So he said well, will try Metanx which is a prescription vitamin, 2 mg B12, 35 Mg B6, 3 MG folic acid and low and behold the burning that was in my feet was gone. So why didn't he put me on the safe stuff first instead of the mind blowing stuff. Same with my internist for Thyroid med. Had to insist that I be checked and was way low on thyroid output , so started it about 6 weeks ago the same time I started CPAP, so I had a 2 banger going. I learned a long time ago that if you don't look out for yourself no one else will.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

mgrunk

Post by mgrunk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:56 pm

I was diagnosed w/ a b12 deficiency - 212, a D deficiency and my thyroid is impaired. I have been taking b12 shots for 7 weeks now and my tongue finally feels better. But, my endo said in regards to b12 that if you have been on metformin for a long time, you can develop a deficiency and need to have your levels checked.

I have thyroid antibodies and he's assuming that I probably have pernicious anemia and will need to be on shots because my stomach no longer makes IF (intrinsic factor) and is looking at some other auto immune issues.
Michelle
Machine - IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine w/ humidifer and SmartFlex
Mask - Mirage Quattro
Software - SmartLink

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:06 pm

I was diagnosed w/ a b12 deficiency - 212, a D deficiency and my thyroid is impaired. I have been taking b12 shots for 7 weeks now and my tongue finally feels better.

Mgrunk, what do you mean your tongue feels better?

Vader

Post by Vader » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Guest wrote:what do you mean your tongue feels better?
Sore tongue is often associated with long term B12 deficiency.
I know this from first hand experience and have been getting B12 shots for 50 years!

Vader

mgrunk

Post by mgrunk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, my tongue felt raw??? I couldn't eat spicy food that I love because it hurt too much. I also had serious rls. I'm hoping the b12 will clear that up too. My understanding is that if it's an autoimmune issue with being b12 deficient that it's nearly impossible to take enough orally to get the correct amount absorbed. My doctor wanted my levels up ASAP, so I'm doing the shots.
Michelle
Machine - IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine w/ humidifer and SmartFlex
Mask - Mirage Quattro
Software - SmartLink

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:22 pm

I take B12 1000mcg sublingual-
--I've read that when this vitamin goes through the stomach, very, VERY little makes it into your system.
I took shots for several months as the diet place sold them for ten bucks a (weekly) pop.
I've been looking for a transdermal patch that is affordable and doesn't have to be worn 24/7.

zeeclass

Post by zeeclass » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Yes I have also read that very little gets into your system even if you take large oral doses. That's why it's important NOT to take it with food if you seriously need to increase your B-12 level in a hurry. Take it sublingually on an empty stomach and wait at least 30 minutes before you eat -- so it can get absorbed better. Or get the shots.

zeeclass

Post by zeeclass » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:09 pm

From what I have learned recently, 212 is CRITICALLY low. Anything below 200 can give you brain impairment, long-term!

Also found out that most PPI drugs, such as Prilosec, Nexium, Aciphex, etc can deplete your body's supply of B-12 if you are on them for a while. Not to mention - laughing gas. Yes, if you had dental surgery or any sort of procedure where they used nitrous oxide, that can screw up your B-12 levels, too.

mgrunk wrote:I was diagnosed w/ a b12 deficiency - 212, a D deficiency and my thyroid is impaired. I have been taking b12 shots for 7 weeks now and my tongue finally feels better. But, my endo said in regards to b12 that if you have been on metformin for a long time, you can develop a deficiency and need to have your levels checked.

I have thyroid antibodies and he's assuming that I probably have pernicious anemia and will need to be on shots because my stomach no longer makes IF (intrinsic factor) and is looking at some other auto immune issues.