DME wants my data card. Not sure I believe them.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrnetwurm

DME wants my data card. Not sure I believe them.

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 am

My DME contacted me and told me they need my data card to confirm compliance.

Here is what they told me:
"" Send us your data card and we'll either send it back to you or send you a new card. Don't worry, your
machine will continue collecting data and nothing will be lost ""
If that's the case, then the machine must have its own internal memory for storage.

Does this sound right ?

Mary Z

Re: DME wants my data card. Not sure I believe them.

Post by Mary Z » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:36 am

Yes, this sounds exactly right. Most machines hold 365 days of data so no data will be lost. If you're really concerned buy another data card to use while they have yours.

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 am

Mary Z wrote: Most machines hold 365 days of data so no data will be lost.

Umm, YES and NO. Yes they will hold 365 days of basic data, HOWEVER, many will only hold 7 days of detailed data.

Best bet is to:
a) back up the card
b) physically take it to the DME and have them read it and return it (or replace it) immediately.
c) if b above is not possible then, as Mary said, buy a replacement card to use in the interim.

If you are not interested in the detailed data then you can send them the card and hope they'll either return it or replace it.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:51 am

Ok, that sounds good.

My DME (Binsons in Michigan) kinda aggravated me with their approach. They never told me anything about the
compliance requirement. I heard about it here on cpaptalk, but my first contact with Binsons was via an automated message.

They called my phone and berated me with a recorded message about my 'failure' to provide the data card and how
I was going to be in trouble with my insurance company if I didn't hurry up and send them the card. I called them
and talked to real person and let them know how I felt about their crappy communication.

Jerry

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 am

They *do* need to read the card now and then to confirm compliance data, so they're not lying to you about that.

Nathan1097

Post by Nathan1097 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 am

Do you have a follow up/check up? I'm supposed to bring everything with me that day, including the card to be read.

JayC

Post by JayC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 am

During compliance measuring phase, DME mailed me a card that I was to mail back.

Can't they send you one to download to....or are the cards for your machine more expensive than the cards for ResMed S8?

mrnetwurm

Post by mrnetwurm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am

I've already had a 30 day follow up with the doc. They read my data, but the DME has to read it as well.

It's a standard SD data card. Binsons is right by my office. I will stop by with the card and hopefully get
it right back.

If not, they are cheap at OfficeMax.

justbreathe

Post by justbreathe » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 am

Your Doctor reports the effectiveness of your treatment.

Your DME must submit their compliance report to your insurance to keep providing supplies and get paid.

Your DME may have poor communication skills but what they are asking is legitimate.

Your machine will be fine until they return your card. Just enjoy your treatment.

The only reason to worry about not having a card in your machine is the possibility of not recording detailed data which is only needed to analyse problems with your nights sleep. If you are doing well with your current treatment then don't worry about it.

If you are having problems and checking your detailed graphs every day then put in another card to use until they return their card.

SleepyInIndy

Post by SleepyInIndy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 am

Only issue I have had was when the DME sent me a new card, they 'locked' me out of the good stuff, so I have to go back in and reenable it.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 am

My DME called me for mine at about 6 months, right after I got a new mask. He said the insurance companies ask for compliance at various times.
I took it to him and ask for a replacement. He pulled a card out of a new S9 and gave it to me.
I did back it up before I went just in case.
Now I just back up my "patient file" and don't worry about the card.