Camping Battery Setup for an Resmed S9 Autoset

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sam1234

Re: Camping Battery Setup for an Resmed S9 Autoset

Post by sam1234 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Yes, I will be on the road more than 5 hours each day. So I expect that should be enough to recharge the battery.

cbrxxcess

Post by cbrxxcess » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Well I just got back from my outing we had to cut off a day early due to a technical difficultly. That was not the case with my new cpap battery setup. This thing rocks. I was able to charge it today from my 12V outlet and it ran my machine for two nights for a total of 15 1/2 hours. The battery was at a full charge in just over 4 hours using the 12v outlet. Again this was without the humidifier and at a pressure of 10cm. Here are some pictures of the unit.

The black bag holds the battery the 120V charger the 12v charger with an array of adapters for 12v Accessories. You also have the ResMed 12V adapter as well as the battery. The orange bag is a soft sided cooler that I put my S9 into so that I could haul it in my bag and give it some protection. The case from ResMed is just too large.

This is the 12V plug in off the ResMed adapter. It has a nice rocker switch so that it is easy to turn the machine on in the dark once you have it set up.

Here it all is set up next to my sleeping bag ready to go.

I did take a look at the goal zero batteries but the 120 watt hour battery is $399 . This battery was still expensive at $290 but it is rated at 266 watt hour. So over double the capacity of the 120 Watt hour battery and it does not have the built in inverter that will rob extra power from the battery to run your machine. If you figure in the price of the 12V Resmed adapter then they will be close in price but I still think the 12V powersupply/battery combo will outlast the 120V power supply/Inverter/Battery Combo. It was expensive but again it was worth it.

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:16 am

That looks like a nice setup.

The GoalZero battery I have is 12 lbs and 150 Watts. Its' cost was $129.00. It does include an inverter, a usb port, and a built in charger. But I can run directly from DC as well. Your battery life is comparable to the 15 hrs. I observed with mine, but I think your setup must be more expensive. (of course I don't remember what my converter cost from RESmed, it was purchased for the S8 in 2009). I did have to buy an additional DC plug to charge the battery. It listed for $14.95 and shipping was $8.95. Charging time is a little longer than your 4hours though.

Like you, I don't intend to carry the unit in the RESmed bag. It will be padded in clothing in one of my hard side cases. I am still trying to decide the best way to store the battery so that I can charge it while riding. I will be giving it a three week road test in July.

I am glad that your setup is working so well.

goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the report. Considering various batteries I like the lithium one you bought and it is good to hear you got two nights out of it.

cbrxxcess

Post by cbrxxcess » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 am

I easily got the 2 nights out of it. I am thinking that a third is possible but I just don't want to ruin a nights sleep to take a chance. Also the listed weight of this battery is 4lbs. I may see if it will power the unit when I am at home for the extra night. Sounds like you got a great price on your goal zero. I may have considered it more if that was the price that I found it at.

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 pm

Apparently the price is special for the road shows at costco. If they didn't have CPAP on their sign for uses, I wouldn't even have stopped.

Also, according to the manual with the AGM battery, I can charge it while running devices off of it. So it may work well as a power source back up in the event of a blackout.

heierend

Post by heierend » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I am a long time CPAP user but never figured out how to do the camping thing with it. Can you specifically tell me what are the various components you used while camping (I see them in the picture but not sure what is what) and where you got them and about how much they were. Thanks so much.

goldfinch

Post by goldfinch » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:55 pm

heierend wrote:I am a long time CPAP user but never figured out how to do the camping thing with it. Can you specifically tell me what are the various components you used while camping (I see them in the picture but not sure what is what) and where you got them and about how much they were. Thanks so much.
It is going to differ depending on your machine. What do you have?

sam1234

Post by sam1234 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:27 pm

Well, I don't know what you have ... but this is my setup:

S8 autoset II/ without humidifier (can't use humidifier on DC)
hose and mask - currently a quattro mirage FFM
DC - 12 Resmed converter (do not remember purchase price)
GoalZero Escape 150 (battery cost was $129 at Costco)(This unit is already in a case, AC charger, DC powerlet adapter included)

As far as connections go...
The GoalZero battery is inclosed in a case which has:
A DC input for charging with the AC adapter to charge from an AC outlet.
A DC output and adapter to plug converter into without additional cords, wires, or clips (unswitched)
An AC output from inverter which is inclosed in same case (This is switched so if off doesn't drain battery)
and a USB output to charge cell phones and the like.

The only other purchase I made was for a DC charging adapter to charge the GoalZero unit from my power outlet on my motorcycle.

I would say that my pressure varies from 12 to 18 and the battery will run for about 12 to 15 hours as tested at home. That will be enough for one night and then charge as I ride to my next destination. I also intend to use the battery with an USB LED light for inside the tent and to power an immersion unit to heat water in the morning for coffee and oatmeal.

Drawbacks are that the AGM battery unit weighs 12 lbs. and takes up space. Power for one day at a time.
Positives - I won't have to carry other flamable fuels for cooking and no bulky lanterns for light. Can undergo charging and still run devices at the same time.

I hope that helps.

cbrxxcess

Post by cbrxxcess » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Hello I have now been using this battery for quite sometime. I love it and just recently took it out on a hunting trip. This battery has lasted me now 4 nights without a charge . At the same level as posted earlier and with out the humidifier. The average was 7.5 hours per night. I am sorry I have not been on here in quite sometime but to answer the question where I got the battery it was here.

http://www.bestcpapprice.com/Compact-Po ... p_516.html

I do recommend this battery highly. It is about to go on a motorcycle adventure with me to the Dominican Republic.

ed_mcgough

Post by ed_mcgough » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 am

Hi,

How'd you go travelling overseas with the battery?

I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea about 18 months ago and have been using CPAP (S9) ever since. The one thing I have really missed is being able to bush camp and sleep on yachts, but I'm now starting to realise that this might be possible. I figure I'll get an adapter to run the S9 off the second battery in my 4wd, or off house batteries on a boat, but one of these looks like it could also be extremely useful for travelling.

However, I've just checked on the Qantas website and they say that under no circumstances can a battery with a watt-hour rating greater than 160 be taken on a plane! I'm guessing they're not the only airline with this restriction. Did you manage to get it to the Dominican Republic, and if so, how?

Ed.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:54 am

sam1234 wrote:Yes, I will be on the road more than 5 hours each day. So I expect that should be enough to recharge the battery.

Bear in mind that most motorcycles barely generate enough wattage to even run their own electrical system.

patrissimo

Post by patrissimo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:38 pm

BTW, ResMed has a great battery guide that includes total power draw for each of their machines at various treatment pressures:

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... lo_eng.pdf

Looks like 150 Watt-Hours is about the minimum for my S9 Autoset at 12mm, though note they include a 50% safety margin (so 12 hours power).

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm

I am a brand new cpap user and I have a two-week car-camping trip coming up in ten days!!

What do I do?

I have not yet bought a battery but am interested in the ResMed Power Station II Battery Kit for S9 Series CPAP Machines

My camper has a battery on board, but the fridge draws it down quickly. I have 120 KWH solar panel kit to recharge it, and I'll be in southern utah, so I should be good to stay ahead of the fridge. I'd like the extra power to frecharge the ResMed battery. Will this work? Do I need special cabling??

Much appreciation for youre thoughts.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm

ed_mcgough wrote:However, I've just checked on the Qantas website and they say that under no circumstances can a battery with a watt-hour rating greater than 160 be taken on a plane!
This airline regulation stuff makes my brain hurt. I understand regulations in general very well, but electricity and battery talk is largely Greek to me.

I need to figure out a battery setup that will work for air travel. I didn't realize that "watt hour ratings" were something I needed to know about.

<tears hair>

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke