Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
-
energyguyoly
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm
- Location: Tucson, AZ
Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
A sleep study indicated that I would benefit from CPAP and my doc referred me to a trusted DME provider. However I feel somewhat like I am being railroaded. They called today to say that a respiratory therapist would come by with a particular machine (S8 autoset), a couple of masks to try, humidifier, etc.). It seems to me that for the small differential in price the S9 might be a better purchase considering the lower weight and apparent quieter operation.
My question though is more about how and whether to take some control of this process. With so many machines and masks on the market, it seems odd that a company would choose one machine and two masks. It makes me wonder if they are choosing based on the best insurance reimbursement to cost ratio, or something other than actually knowing which is best for me. How could they know which machine to proscribe without seeing me first.
So am I being paranoid or should I in fact be demanding more choice in the matter. Thanks for any help.
My question though is more about how and whether to take some control of this process. With so many machines and masks on the market, it seems odd that a company would choose one machine and two masks. It makes me wonder if they are choosing based on the best insurance reimbursement to cost ratio, or something other than actually knowing which is best for me. How could they know which machine to proscribe without seeing me first.
So am I being paranoid or should I in fact be demanding more choice in the matter. Thanks for any help.
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
It is your body, your health and your money. I think it is certainly reasonable to expect a choice.energyguyoly wrote:So am I being paranoid or should I in fact be demanding more choice in the matter.
Refuse the S8. It is a discontinued model and they are simply getting rid of old stock.
Besides the smart card and card reader to use the software are pricey if they can be found.
Get the latest technology. You won't be sorry.
_________________
| Machine: AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Additional Comments: Mask Bleep Eclipse https://bleepsleep.com/the-eclipse/ |
Last edited by Pugsy on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may have to RISE but I refuse to SHINE.
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Did you have an in-lab CPAP titration study or just an in-lab sleep evaluation study? Is it possible that this S8 AutoSet is just a one month or 3 month loaner for at home auto titration after which time you would be switched to a current model straight CPAP for your "permanent" PAP?
_________________
| Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2 Software - Contec CMS-50D+ Oximeter - Respironics EverFlo Q Concentrator |
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.
-
energyguyoly
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm
- Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
I had a split study which included about three hours of monitored but unaided sleep, and then the balance hooked up to a CPAP. This appears clearly to be a purchase as the DME company has already quoted the prices.
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Take a look at my blogpost in my signature below for "what you need to know before you meet your DME".
Your gut is correct. They are trying to foist an outdated model on you to boost their profit margin.
Your gut is correct. They are trying to foist an outdated model on you to boost their profit margin.
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
-
energyguyoly
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm
- Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Super helpful blog post. Thanks. In this case the resp. therapist is coming to my home, but I've already sent an email telling the dispatcher to be sure she brought the S9. I feel much better prepared to deal with this (or, if necessary, another) DME.
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Be sure it's an S9 AUTOSET if that's what you're after. S9 Escape collects no useful data, and S9 Elite doesn't do auto pressure.
_________________
| Mask: Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control |
| Additional Comments: Also SleepyHead, PRS1 Auto, Respironics Auto M series, Legacy Auto, and Legacy Plus |
Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.
Useful Links.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.
Useful Links.
-
energyguyoly
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm
- Location: Tucson, AZ
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Man has this forum been helpful. First on the machine. It took some fighting but they will be bringing an S9 autoset, although since my scrip says simply CPAP they are insisting that I get a new scrip, and I am simply saying that if this is too hard for them that perhaps I should work with another vendor.
Next the RT was planning to bring only one mask. Can't believe it. I asked what if the one mask doesn't seen to fit well? So now they will bring several,although asserting that I can't try them all on with plastic off. What a process!
Thanks for all of your help.
Next the RT was planning to bring only one mask. Can't believe it. I asked what if the one mask doesn't seen to fit well? So now they will bring several,although asserting that I can't try them all on with plastic off. What a process!
Thanks for all of your help.
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Resmed offers a 30 day trial of their masks. Lucky for me my DME honors it. When I first started I was able to try 3 different one's until I decided on
the Mirage quatro FF and later the quatro fx.
the Mirage quatro FF and later the quatro fx.
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: Bleep DreamPort CPAP Mask Solution |
| Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1 |
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
It's impossible to find a good mask without trying it on, in your normal sleeping position and with full pressure (machine turned on). For this reason, manufacturers give DME's free samples. Some DME's sell their samples on the "grey market" rather than using them to ensure their patients have a good fit.
I'd suggest telling the DME that you will get your masks elsewhere if they can't give you a proper fitting. The mask is THE most important part--"if the mask don't fit, you're likely to quit".
I'd suggest telling the DME that you will get your masks elsewhere if they can't give you a proper fitting. The mask is THE most important part--"if the mask don't fit, you're likely to quit".
_________________
| Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier |
| Mask: DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear |
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Resmed, PR (Respironics) and Fisher & Paykel will all REPLACE FREE to the DME providers most any of their masks that patients have tried and been unsuccessful w/IF the provider will fill out a form and return mask and form to the manufacturer W/IN 30 DAYS.
_________________
| Mask: Quattro™ FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear |
| Additional Comments: PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2 Software - Contec CMS-50D+ Oximeter - Respironics EverFlo Q Concentrator |
Women are Angels. And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly.....on a broomstick. We are flexible like that.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.
My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.
- rested gal
- Posts: 12880
- Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:14 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Newbie needs help sorting out the purchase process
Right. If they bring you a machine that is called "ResMed S9 Escape Auto", refuse it even though it says "Auto" in its name and is an "autopap." The Escape records some useful data, but not anywhere near as much useful data as ResMed's top of the line autopap -- the S9 Autoset.archangle wrote:Be sure it's an S9 AUTOSET if that's what you're after. S9 Escape collects no useful data, and S9 Elite doesn't do auto pressure.
Here's a link that might be helpful to you when the time comes to accept (or reject) whatever machine the DME tries to give you. You'll want a machine that can record leak and AHI info. The ones in blue do that; the ones in red do not:
viewtopic.php?p=307168#p307168
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435





