Overdue Introduction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
early2rise

Overdue Introduction

Post by early2rise » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:00 pm

Well I guess as my subject line suggests that I have been lurking for a few weeks and want to introduce myself. I was recently re-diagnosed with moderate OSA. I say re-diagnosed as my first diagnosis came in 2001 after years of fatigue and snoring. I, like many others feel like I have had OSA most of my life. So you can imagine how hard life as a college student was, being so tired that I would fall asleep regularly in class making it hard to perform well on exams and such. At that point in my life being only 24, I couldn't accept being tied to a machine every night for the rest of my life and I had poor toleration of CPAP during the titration. So I opted for surgery. I should mention that in addition to fatigue, daytime sleepiness I also suffered from severe allergies, nasal congestion and recurring bronchitis and sinus infections.

After surgery I felt GREAT! Better than I could remember. A few years later I had more issues with allergies and bronchitis and was finally diagnosed with Asthma. Spent several years trying to gain control of those issues which led to less and less activity and thus weight gain. At my recent physical my PCP decided it was time for a repeat sleep study as I was complaining of the same symptoms I had prior to surgery. So I went, as I was barely able to function and feeling the desire to have that energy of post surgery back. Now that I'm older (approaching 35) the real issues of keeping me healthy are more important and I feel better able to approach CPAP therapy as a way to get my life back and less as a burden. I have learned so much in the time I have spent on this forum and I look forward to continuing my education.

Thanks for listening.
1st night on CPAP July 7, 2011.

rested gal

Re: Overdue Introduction

Post by rested gal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:54 pm

That was a nice introduction post, early2rise.

I had noticed your your posts in a couple of other threads, and the lovely avatar picture you're using.

Glad you're here!
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 am

early2rise, thanks for the introduction. It was good to hear your story. Welcome to the forum.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 am

Welcome to the club, early2rise. You're in good company here.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:35 am

Nice intro...I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy. Post often.

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:25 am

Welcome!!

Louise in Houston
"Any day above ground is a good one."

early2rise

Post by early2rise » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:42 am

Thank you everyone for the warm reception. I am sure I will need the help of this forum to make the most of my therapy.

mathewdisoza

Post by mathewdisoza » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 am

Nice

sister

Post by sister » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 am

Welcome, we are glad to have you! Nice introduction!

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:54 am

Well, today's the 22nd, and this inquiring mind wants to know how your titration went.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

early2rise

Post by early2rise » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Been meaning to post all week since my titration. It went very well considering I am recovering from a bout of upper respiratory infections, congestion, cough etc. I am now waiting for my PCP to get the "unofficial results" from the sleep lab so that I can get my machine. Pressure ended up at 8cm H2O and I felt like I slept for 5-6 hours. I was able to try an OptiLife Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with chin strap and LOVED it!! I was able to relax my mouth without the fear of it drooping open.

The first hour or so on the machine I had to calm myself down, the whole fear of suffocating feeling and then I was out like a light. I am usually a very light sleeper and the tech had to shake me to wake me up!

In the meantime I have been reading trying to decide which machine to request. I am definitely going to stick with the OptiLife for now and see how it goes. Calling Dr in the am to see if results are in.

Thank you for the concern BleepingBeauty

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 pm

early2rise wrote:Been meaning to post all week since my titration. It went very well considering I am recovering from a bout of upper respiratory infections, congestion, cough etc. I am now waiting for my PCP to get the "unofficial results" from the sleep lab so that I can get my machine. Pressure ended up at 8cm H2O and I felt like I slept for 5-6 hours. I was able to try an OptiLife Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with chin strap and LOVED it!! I was able to relax my mouth without the fear of it drooping open.

The first hour or so on the machine I had to calm myself down, the whole fear of suffocating feeling and then I was out like a light. I am usually a very light sleeper and the tech had to shake me to wake me up!

In the meantime I have been reading trying to decide which machine to request. I am definitely going to stick with the OptiLife for now and see how it goes. Calling Dr in the am to see if results are in.

Thank you for the concern BleepingBeauty
Glad to hear it went so well! I'm sure you're anxious to get the ball rolling and get a machine of your own (I know I sure felt that way after my first titration - best sleep I'd had in ages). I hope you get your machine soon and that the OptiLife works just as well for you at home as it did during the study.

early2rise

Post by early2rise » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

I just called my PCP office to see if the results are in. I have to wait for a call back though

Yes I am so anxious to get started because I slept so well. Even now on predisone for bronchitis and asthma exacerbation from the upper respiratory infection I am still tired and dragging through my days. The hope for a better existence is what is keeping me going.

early2rise

Post by early2rise » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm

So I called my PCP yesterday and was told I could pick up my prescription today. Send my husband to grab as I was at work only to find its a basic generic script. That is not what I discussed with the dr right before my titration. I requested a machine and he said he would take care of it. So I call them back with the request for a specific brand and model only to be told that they can't have it ready until Monday! After all the running around today and now I have a useless script that the DME's in the area won't accept if you have a specific machine request. ARGHHHH!!!! Just needed to vent cause I know this weekend is going to go by so slow and I can't even schedule an appointment with DME until I have the updated script. With the holiday coming up, appointments are at a premium.

Sorry for the gripping and venting.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:41 pm

early2rise wrote:So I call them back with the request for a specific brand and model only to be told that they can't have it ready until Monday!
Griping/venting is fine here.

It will be worth the wait (as you already know) -- to get the exact machine you want.

Glad to hear the titration night went well.
The most important piece of the puzzle has been found already. A mask you could actually sleep in.

Don't be dismayed if you still have occasional problems with the mask at home. But at least you do have a good headstart on the main key to being able to "do CPAP" at all... the mask. Sometimes it's good to have two (or more) different masks on hand. There will be nights when the usual mask that works just becomes a leaky annoyance, and no amount of fiddling settles it down. Switching to a different mask can help sometimes. The next night, the good old reliable behaves again. Go figure!

As one of my favorite old posters used to say, "We don't wear the same pair of shoes every day." Comfortable though they may be, and as much as we may wear them because of their comfort...sometimes it feels good to slip into a different pair just for a change.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435